Golf cart driving times

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Default Golf cart driving times

Just wondering on approximate driving times by golf cart from the village of Woodbury and from DeSoto to Lake Sumter, Spanish Springs, Brownwood squares area? Are there any Walmarts, Targets, etc. in villages that are golf cart accessible? Is Shooters World gun range accessible by golf cart? Can you really get from any location within the villages to another location within the villages strictly by golf cart? I am guessing there are gas stations and charging stations throughout the villages? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

In my opinion, the first thing you need to do is to download the app Villages GPS. This will answer many of your questions.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
In my opinion, the first thing you need to do is to download the app Villages GPS. This will answer many of your questions.
ok thanks, that is actually another question I had, I saw a few apps, which one is best, don't want to end up downloading an outdated one. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

I know of know charging stations(although there are some unscrupulous people who plug in at mail centers, etc. just so you know this is illegal)...there are plenty of gas stations cart accessible. There are many stores/restaurants that are cart accessible(without the villages gps)by just buying the big map and it will show the same thing.

Any place that is built/owned by the villages is cart accessible, but it takes some travel mileage. Electric carts do not have the distance with available science.

As to drive times...anywhere from an hour + by cart depending on how fast you drive.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,585 Times in 932 Posts

Use google maps, pick the travel by bicycle option, see distance and assume you travel 20 MPH.
All Villages places are golf cart accessible. Brownwood to Spanish Springs is about 50-60 minutes
Target is up by SS. Lowes and Home Depot are not. I can get to 4 grocery stores in about 5 minutes by golf cart.
Best way to get your answers is come visit. You can’t read about the experience, need to see it.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Plenty of gas stations but no charging stations. You can get to Target, 2 Walmart’s, 1 Lowes by cart. The Home Depot you would need to park and cross 441. There are at least 14 grocery stores you can get to and plenty of sit down or fast food restaurants. Keep an eye out for signs saying no carts beyond this point to keep where you are allowed to go. Enjoy.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:05 PM

From DeSoto, Brownwood is 20 minute cart ride, Lake Sumter around an hour. No clue on Spanish Springs from DeSoto but the Villages GPS app says 1 hour 16 minutes from my home in DeSoto. I would not drive a golf cart to any of the Wal Marts from DeSoto, just too far.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
From DeSoto, Brownwood is 20 minute cart ride, Lake Sumter around an hour. No clue on Spanish Springs from DeSoto but the Villages GPS app says 1 hour 16 minutes from my home in DeSoto. I would not drive a golf cart to any of the Wal Marts from DeSoto, just too far.
For me it is fun to go to the Walmart’s and any/every place on the golf cart but I know some did not buy just to drive a cart like I did.

Sumter and Spanish Springs is about 15 minutes apart so that makes sense.

We live up north so it is an hour for us to get to Brownwood but we are there often.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
I know of know charging stations(although there are some unscrupulous people who plug in at mail centers, etc. just so you know this is illegal)...there are plenty of gas stations cart accessible. There are many stores/restaurants that are cart accessible(without the villages gps)by just buying the big map and it will show the same thing.

Any place that is built/owned by the villages is cart accessible, but it takes some travel mileage. Electric carts do not have the distance with available science.

As to drive times...anywhere from an hour + by cart depending on how fast you drive.
The big map does not have turn by turn voice direction, not does it provide driving times....pretty much tells you where it is and where you are an you need to figure out the rest. I think the map is 5 bucks and at the current growth you might need to update. The GPS app costs less and is easier to use IMO.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-29-2021, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post

I assume you don't have an electric cart and are just making up your science statement. Own one then address the comment.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-30-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

tbrock.....pack an overnight bag
Old 04-30-2021, 06:24 AM

Live just north of 466, Sumter Landing is 6 miles, Spanish Springs about the same. Less then a 5 min. to Publix, Walmart, and to about 20 different places to eat and to places to gas up.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:02 AM
Default Villages GPS App vs The Villages App

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock555 View Post
ok thanks, that is actually another question I had, I saw a few apps, which one is best, don't want to end up downloading an outdated one. Thanks.
I'd recommend The Villages App (free) for accuracy but unfortunately you can only use it when you are in the Villages. The Villages GPS app (which isn't free) is nice in that it has a "point to point" option where you can enter (or select from a category) an origin and a destination and it will give you directions and time by cart or car. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be that accurate. When I enter the address for my house (in Marsh Bend) it finds it but for some reason it defaults to another position on the map when I try to establish a route from there. I also checked the distance and time from Cattail rec center to Brownwood; it says 7.5 miles and 50 minutes by cart and takes you on a route that takes you down Warm Springs which doesn't allow carts. I know for a fact it's more like a 15 minute cart ride from Cattail to Brownwood.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 AM

I use The Villages App, which is free. Select Destinations. Pick a Residential address or Business. Then select by car or golf cart. Golf courses and Rec centers are under Business. It will show you the way to the Walmarts on 466 and Sarasota but not to the one on 441 because it's outside The Villages. You can get to that Walmart, Lowes, Aldi's, Stonecrest, and Spruce Creek, using the golf cart access at the end of Paradise Road. You need your gate pass to get out and back in. No red button.

I live by Glenview CC. Everglades is 18 miles via Buena Vista cart trail and the Water Lily bridge. Not a problem in my electric cart since I have a lithium battery and 65 mile range.

Shooters World is 14 miles by golf cart.

There are regular gas stations along 466 and 466a. Sumter Landing Golf Cart sales has a golf cart gas station. Don't know of any charging stations, other than a friends 110V outlet. If you have four 12V lead acid batteries then you will have a problem going from one end to the other and back. With six 8V or eight 6V batteries you will be okay when they are new.

So you can get just about anywhere in The Villages by golf cart.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock555 View Post
Just wondering on approximate driving times by golf cart from the village of Woodbury and from DeSoto to Lake Sumter, Spanish Springs, Brownwood squares area? Are there any Walmarts, Targets, etc. in villages that are golf cart accessible? Is Shooters World gun range accessible by golf cart? Can you really get from any location within the villages to another location within the villages strictly by golf cart? I am guessing there are gas stations and charging stations throughout the villages? Thanks for any info.
You REALLY need to visit, as your questions can be answered by experiencing TV in person. I can give you times to various destinations, but unless you're racing to a tee time time is irrelevant! For us, it's the journey not the destination!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, villages, location, accessible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.