golf cart garage

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Gold member
Default golf cart garage

Has anyone bought a home without a golf cart gar. and than had one added after you were living there? Is It a lot of trouble to add one ? Is it expensive. At this time I dont really know if I would need one,but than again it might be worth my while to have one on the home when you buy it. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

We added one 2 years ago and love it. T&D did it. They showed us the blueprints before they started and told us that it would not look like an add-on as they changed our roof line, etc. to accommodate it. We are extremely pleased with it. We have a Camellia and added it to the inside area, closer to the front door. We lost the small garden area off the front porch, but were able to widen the walkway. We widened the driveway to the street rather than have the small cutoff that is usually there. PM me for approximate price as we had the lanai made wider, brought up to the house level and enclosed with sliding glass doors as well as a 12'x20' outside pad added. I'll make a guestimate for the garage area only.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default My opinion only

Buy your home with the golf cart garage already there. I would think adding one after will depend on your lot size and was amazed that the former poster could do such a thing, but good for them.
Keep in mind, we have very limited storage in these homes, unlike one's up north with basements and attics. That extra space can come in handy even if you never get a golf cart.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Sage

Tommy, here's a post from another member, Billyworld, who was adding a BIG extension onto his garage - from about a month ago:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...21-post50.html

You might PM him for his insights. I sent a PM back then but didn't get a response - might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Billyworld.....if you're out there.....please PM me. I'd like to get some info from you about what all you did re: your addition! Thanks!

Bill
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Has anyone bought a home without a golf cart gar. and than had one added after you were living there? Is It a lot of trouble to add one ? Is it expensive. At this time I dont really know if I would need one,but than again it might be worth my while to have one on the home when you buy it. Thank you.
That's our only regret about buying our house is that we have no golf cart garage and no room to add one.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Sage

Defintely buy a house with the golf cart garage already built in. In my neighborhood, I think all the homes have a golf cart garage.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
From my observations (not actual experience) the size of the garage is an important factor in your satisfaction with the house. If you are getting a 2 car garage with little if any extra space I would add 4 feet to the length or width of the garage and or a golf cart garage.

I would probably plan on having 2 cars and one or two golf carts at the start. One car would probably never see the garage. It would stay in the driveway. I would hope to downsize to one car as soon as possible. I would prefer to get the second golf cart when we get rid of a car but that timing may not happen.

If you are starting out with one car and one or two golf carts and willing to park the car in the driveway then I can see going with the standard garage and no golf-cart garage.

If you are going to make a mistake (not putting the golf-cart garage), I would get the golf-cart garage when the house was made. You will find something to use it for.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
...... At this time I dont really know if I would need one,but than again it might be worth my while to have one on the home when you buy it. .....
Tommy, an added thought: I have yet to meet a guy who has said, "Ya know - I've just got waaaay too much room in my garage."

Can you get by with less space? Probably. But having some extra space - even if it's just for storage - is nice.

Bill
Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Sage

I can't imagine not having 2 car and golf cart garage. Whe have one car and two carts that fill the area we have. not crowed, but all space used.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Tommy, an added thought: I have yet to meet a guy who has said, "Ya know - I've just got waaaay too much room in my garage."

Bill
I told my wife, you pick out the house and I'll pick out the garage. I underestimated and should have gotten the golf cart garage. I would love to have the garage insulated, door, ceiling and walls and A/C that could be turned on or off when needed.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Sage

we were told on a standard width lot 60' it can't be added, we'll likely take a 2' bump forward about $1200.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Gold member
Default I made up my mind lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
we were told on a standard width lot 60' it can't be added, we'll likely take a 2' bump forward about $1200.
Thanks for all the great advice. I have made up my mind and will buy the home with the golf CG already built on. Thanks again
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.