Golf Cart hit and Run

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2019, 04:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Just thinking outta the box a little bit. The dream come true and the registration and numbering or identification is complete on every Golf Cart in the entire community. I notice a cart at the square or pool with the perfect amount and area of damage corresponding to the damage on my cart and claim a nice payday on that cart because it has an I.D. on it. Or a neighbor, poster, family member or someone I pass by that I don't like or someone who actually cuts me off or does something dopey while driving the cart and I do get the cart number, I think I got the cart number because it was 5 minutes from the time I saw the person and the time I wrote the number down because I couldn't find a pen and a piece of paper and the number is that of a Snowbird or a cart that is off the premises being repaired.

How about reality. Who is going to pay the army of people who have to administer this identification program and the people who will enforce the daily complaints that are surely coming?

It is a shame what happened to the OP, terrible actually but there are to many holes in the ID program for it to accomplish its goal instead of creating more problems.

I don't care one bit if it stays the way it is today or someone figures out a way to really make it work. I would be supportive either way just be warned it could be a giant mess.

Good Luck figuring it out. Let's see what the story is if it costs people a couple of dollars. Call the WAAAMBULANCE!

Last edited by Nucky; 06-06-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
All the white rental carts have 4 digit ID #'s, what would be so difficult with having a golf cart with an ID #, on a data base ?, @ least the owner can be traced when a new cart is purchased a tag is issued --a tag for a trailer is approx $14.00

I was actually amazed when I found out that golf carts didn't have to be registered...and required to display that registration #.

In every state that I've lived previously (8), everything from a 10' jon boat to snowmobiles, were required to pay for a registration (usually a small amount)...and to prominently display that registration number on the unit.

And while the whining complaints of "being cut-off" or "they were going too fast" might occur, in collisions/incidents like described in the OP...it would make it easier to possibly find the offender.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage

A few years ago a golf cart hit a bicylist on Paige Place, the rider was injured--all the police had to look for was a cart with blue curtains--perp was never caught
Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
A few years ago a golf cart hit a bicylist on Paige Place, the rider was injured--all the police had to look for was a cart with blue curtains--perp was never caught
Hard to imagine that they weren't caught, there can't be more than a few thousand carts with that description...running around here.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 AM

Check with businesses in the area for camera footage. Even though the accident may not have been captured, the purple golf cart in the area during that time frame may be identified for another clue.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage

I agree plus it isn't clear how such a thing could be implemented from a legal point of view. At the state level, you would need someone to champion it - probably not likely given that there is really no upside. The Villages spans 3 counties - same issue plus you would need all 3 counties to put something in place. At the CDD level, I suspect they don't have such authority plus they have no say over the county roads. There are 70,000 + golf carts in The Villages. The boat has left the dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Just thinking outta the box a little bit. The dream come true and the registration and numbering or identification is complete on every Golf Cart in the entire community. I notice a cart at the square or pool with the perfect amount and area of damage corresponding to the damage on my cart and claim a nice payday on that cart because it has an I.D. on it. Or a neighbor, poster, family member or someone I pass by that I don't like or someone who actually cuts me off or does something dopey while driving the cart and I do get the cart number, I think I got the cart number because it was 5 minutes from the time I saw the person and the time I wrote the number down because I couldn't find a pen and a piece of paper and the number is that of a Snowbird or a cart that is off the premises being repaired.

How about reality. Who is going to pay the army of people who have to administer this identification program and the people who will enforce the daily complaints that are surely coming?

It is a shame what happened to the OP, terrible actually but there are to many holes in the ID program for it to accomplish its goal instead of creating more problems.

I don't care one bit if it stays the way it is today or someone figures out a way to really make it work. I would be supportive either way just be warned it could be a giant mess.

Good Luck figuring it out. Let's see what the story is if it costs people a couple of dollars. Call the WAAAMBULANCE!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaked View Post
Please watch for a purple 2 seater golf cart with damage to the front end. On Tuesday, June 4 at 9:50 am I was driving north on Morse Blvd in the turning lane towards 441 when a purple golf cart with a woman driver ran into the driver side of my car, a gold chevy equinox. She backed up, drove around the back of my car and drove away before I had time to get out of my car. If you see a purple cart with front end damage, please pm me or call the Sumter County Sheriff department.

I know it shouldn’t surprise me, but I can’t believe people don’t take responsibility for their actions.
Trying to identify where this happened? What Villages are around there? You might want to try the Villages web-sites that were close by. A purple golf cart kind of sticks out. The Virginia Trace web-site has a list of Neighborhood Web-Sites. Welcome Back
Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So, either Topspinmo or billaur has a purple golf cart.

KIDDING!!!!!!!!! Just kidding...
Mine is maroon and not scratch on it. Hit and runs happen all the time by low life looser’s. Registration, driver’s licenses, or insurance has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:

So, with that vague description due think tiny plate on the back would of identified it?
Old 06-06-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

With all the concern over golf cart safety, last Sunday, the local newspaper decided to put a picture on the cover of one of its sections, of a woman and three kids sitting in the front seat of a golf cart waving, all smiles, one very young child sitting on the lap of another child. Really!
Great reporting. No seat belt was in evidence.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Over Control

I believe there are two major pitfalls when starting a program like ID's for Golf Carts. First, I think it is actually a necessary thing BUT it should be pretty simple. One: Every Cart in the Villages should be required to have an ID, Two: It should be a simple process in that the "Sticker" for the front windshield would be picked up, Three: The Cart Owner's name would be a one line Name on a sheet next to the ID# and Four: There would be a $1.00 charge to cover expense of Sticker. The terrible pitfalls is if this is seen as a "Money Maker" which it is not, and 2 it should be a simple sign up not a complicated bureaucratic excuse to exert unnecessary controls. A simple page handout is where to put the sticker and to remove if ownership is changed. Just a thought..?

Over C
Old 06-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage

Golf Cart State Laws & Regulations | Golf Cart Resource
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
According to that website (when I clicked into Florida):
Quote:
Golf carts may only operate on streets with posted speed limits of 30 MPH and under. Golf carts may, however, cross streets with posted speed limits of 45 MPH and under- just not drive them.
I don't recall what the speed limits are on 466, 466a, or 44 as they cut through The Villages, and a google search only showed that golf carts can't drive on roads that have speed limits of 35 or higher, so they can't drive on those roads.

But if the speed limits are 45 in the areas of the cross gates, then according to that website, golf carts -would- be able to cross them.

Maybe instead of going crazy spending a fortune building all these bridges, they could submit a request to change zoning regulations to reduce the speed limit to 45 on these roads as they pass through the villages? Safer for everyone really, considering these are main thoroughfares with commercial properties on them. If they're not already 45.

If they are already 45, then either the website is wrong, or the villages is wrong about golf carts crossing them.

Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Trying to identify where this happened? What Villages are around there? You might want to try the Villages web-sites that were close by. A purple golf cart kind of sticks out. The Virginia Trace web-site has a list of Neighborhood Web-Sites. Welcome Back
I think the OP may mean the roundabout for Paige, 441, & Camino Real up by the hospital.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
According to that website (when I clicked into Florida):

I don't recall what the speed limits are on 466, 466a, or 44 as they cut through The Villages, and a google search only showed that golf carts can't drive on roads that have speed limits of 35 or higher, so they can't drive on those roads.

But if the speed limits are 45 in the areas of the cross gates, then according to that website, golf carts -would- be able to cross them.

Maybe instead of going crazy spending a fortune building all these bridges, they could submit a request to change zoning regulations to reduce the speed limit to 45 on these roads as they pass through the villages? Safer for everyone really, considering these are main thoroughfares with commercial properties on them. If they're not already 45.

If they are already 45, then either the website is wrong, or the villages is wrong about golf carts crossing them.

Just a thought.
That section refers to street legal carts not regular carts. A SL can cross ANY road at a controlled intersection but a regular cart cannot UNLESS it's 35 or less or a local ordinance is made by a township of which there is ONE around here which is on 441 for that other community to get over to Walmart. Forgot the exact location. 466A is 45 until you get to Powell towards 301 then it drops to 30 and 35. Any of those rules can be overridden by local ordinance.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 06-06-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, purple, car, golf, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.