Golf Cart hit and Run

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonster View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I was walking with my dog along the recreation path that parallels the Hacienda Hills golf course. I was about to cross Martinez, but had to stop as a garbage truck went by. After it passed, I began to cross the street, but a golf cart with a rather young woman driving, came right at me, accelerating at full speed, from the opposite direction. I shouted "watch out" just in time to cause her to see me. (She was looking to the left, up the street, watching the truck recede into the distance.) She narrowly missed me, not slowing down at all, and shouted "I was watching the garbage truck," as if that justified her nearly killing me. Shouldn't you look straight ahead before accelerating your golf cart? I have encountered other near misses. Golf cart hits car=property damage; golf cart hits pedestrian=serious injury or death!
Did you get the # on her license plate?....Oh, wait...golf carts don't have license plates--------->YET.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I did too. I just checked the actual government website to see the referenced chapter/section. Here it is:
Chapter 316 Section 212 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a golf cart may be operated for the purpose of crossing a street or highway where a single mobile home park is located on both sides of the street or highway and is divided by that street or highway, provided that the governmental entity having original jurisdiction over such street or highway shall review and approve the location of the crossing and require implementation of any traffic controls needed for safety purposes. This subsection shall apply only to residents or guests of the mobile home park. If notice is posted at the entrance and exit of any mobile home park where residents of the park operate golf carts or electric vehicles within the confines of the park, it is not necessary for the park to have a gate or other device at the entrance and exit in order for such golf carts or electric vehicles to be lawfully operated in the park.

I have seen that before but it has no bearing on The Villages or our discussion. I would STRONGLY suggest you contact Sumter County Sheriff's office specifically Lt Siemer to get the correct information from "the proverbial horse's mouth".

What you posted SPECIFICALLY refers to a single owner mobile home park which is split by a major highway and even they need specific approval from the local authorities just like the one crossing over to Walmart on 441 for that other community (forgot their name). We don't live in a mobile home park.

Also, a typo I did make, a "regular" (not Street Legal) golf cart can only drive on roads that are 30 (I said 35) MPH or less unless there is a specific lane like our diamond lanes or if the town specifically approves it. 35MPH is max speed limit road for our street legal carts which is what I am used to.

Our club has had a Sumter County Sheriff rep at a meeting going over this stuff in detail since there are quite a few Street Legal GC's in our group. I also have one myself. The discussion is going nowhere so lets agree to disagree and both get the correct info from those who know when we need it.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM

I think it is the same way with cars or life in general. I came out to my car one day after being in the store. As I go to load my groceries I notice there is a big dent in my bumper and it was not there before I went in. I know this because I had just loaded some things at the previous store I had been at. What about people who are too lazy to returns the carts where they belong and they hit somebody’s car and causes damage. What about people who smoke and throw their butts in the street. Plenty of examples of rude, irresponsible and Oblivious to others feelings and it is not just in The Villages. As far as The Villages golf cart sales I don’t see how that would drop their sales because anyone who wants to increase the speed of their cart can easily do it by looking it up on YouTube. I have been told plenty of times it was possible. It really is a shame. Whoever it was had some real gall. I have heard of hit and run drivers but never hit and run golf carts. What does the person think that you didn’t notice them. One suggestion is you could call all of the golf cart stores, especially maybe in Ocala and see if there has been a purple cart repaired for damage lately. I wouldn’t think the person would have it repair around here but to credit this person as bright in the first place would be giving credit where credit is not due. Unfortunately it happens in every state in the union and I know that doesn’t help you feel better but at least you may feel more at ease to know that it is not just the residents in The Villages. Hope you find out who is responsible.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 AM

You can't fix stupid with a license.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
This will probably make me very unpopular, but I really believe that carts should all be licensed and that anyone driving one anyplace other than on his or her own private property should be required to have a drivers license. The idea that young teenagers and seniors who have had to give up their licenses due to poor vision or physical condition can drive golf carts is ridiculous. It is a miracle that more people are not injured in cart accidents.

kathy

Add in bicycles ..Cyclist break every road rule there is
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default You may not be aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Having the individual licensed isn't helpful, because so many people let their guests use the carts, and why would an out-of-state visitor only there for a couple of days, make an effort to own up to responsibility when they caused it in the first place?

Attach ownership of the cart to ownership of the property. Make it part of a universal deed compliance regulation. It can be identified by color on the bumper with some kind of prominent sticker, to direct observers/witnesses/victims to district, or village, or region. Make it easy to narrow it down, if not flat-out identify it fully.
You mention lending your car/cart to an out of state visitor.
You really should check. With a car, automobile, the owner of the car is responsible for damages not the driver you loaned it to. Actually, perhaps shocking, if someone steals your car and does damages with your car you are still responsible for the damages caused.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Wow a long post with no solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
I agree, I hope no one takes my remarks here as some kind of defensive stance, but, I don't think the inventors of the golf cart (don't know them but DO remember the old Harley Davidson kind with ONLY one front wheel !) had anything in mind other than driving them on anything but a golf course. Made it possible for many who never dreamed of playing or who had to give it up, able to play. Fast forward to ATV's, golf carts as taking the place of automobiles, government grants to purchase golf carts as "electric" vehicles, etc. etc. and what government could have possibly seen what is going on today ! Personally I can't believe the dangerous calls I have had with people who purchased a VERY fast vehicle designed to run on public automobile roads, and then what do they do, run on the golf cart paths in the V's like it's a race track. Often, this is accompanied with a strong shaking of the fist and unintelligible language as they speed around JUST having enough time to get back to the right before hitting an on coming cart head on. Why, why, why ? Not saying, just asking, would it do anything to make irresponsible people more responsible, more caring, less self consumed, to license them ? Did people stop driving drunk when it became illegal to do so ? Do boat owners never drive drunk in states where the state issues boat licenses ? Don't misunderstand, anything is worth a try ! But, sure have not seen the criminals saying to themselves, "Oh, I forgot, I HAVE to get down and register this gun". I tend to think, just a hunch, we'd end up having one more expense and the people like this one would STILL do exactly what this despicable person did. How sad. I will go on record saying I considered all sides of the controversy of teens being able to go to our local public course years ago and rent a golf cart when they could not yet drive an auto. Our park board and city council were all over the place on this. My final opinion was, unfair as it might seem, teens should NOT be able to rent gas or electric carts, but as an incentive to take up the game and not feel they were being discriminated against, could be allowed the use of the (then $2, LOL !) pull carts free of charge (in other words, included in the teen 9 & 18 hole rates) if under the age of 16. Walking is good exercise if you are physically able. Should a disabled teen be able to use a cart to get around, absolutely, life as a disabled young person is hard enough. Ok, some will probably get angry about all of this...as the person above mentioned.
Regrettably, only the dead have no risk. Before you assume, my golf cart is set to do the legal 20mph.

Sadly, try as you might you cannot outlaw stupid. As to walking, and those electric carts for handicapped people. My OPINION at least wear bright clothes. Walkers in the tunnels wearing dark gray clothing with zero room to get out of the way of a golf cart oh and often two and even three across.
Clearly dangerous. A bright orange or green shirt as the landscapers use only cost a couple of bucks.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, purple, car, golf, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.