Golf Cart hit and Run

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 PM

I just installed a front and rear dash cam for my auto; may also install one on my cart. It might at least give the cops a little to run with.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
I just installed a front and rear dash cam for my auto; may also install one on my cart. It might at least give the cops a little to run with.
Planning on having accident?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
Give us more details--make--model--price--ease of the installation? I've been considering one for awhile, Thanks

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That section refers to street legal carts not regular carts. A SL can cross ANY road at a controlled intersection but a regular cart cannot UNLESS it's 35 or less or a local ordinance is made by a township of which there is ONE around here which is on 441 for that other community to get over to Walmart. Forgot the exact location. 466A is 45 until you get to Powell towards 301 then it drops to 30 and 35. Any of those rules can be overridden by local ordinance.
No, that section refers specifically to golf carts that are designed to go up to 20mph. Here's the entire section:

Quote:
Guidelines for Golf Carts and PTVs (Personal Transportation Vehicles)
A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.

Operating a golf cart on public roads is prohibited unless the road has been determined safe by local jurisdiction to be used by golf carts. In this case, there will be appropriate golf cart signs, etc.

Golf carts may only operate on streets with posted speed limits of 30 MPH and under. Golf carts may, however, cross streets with posted speed limits of 45 MPH and under- just not drive them.

Golf carts may only travel during daytime unless the local government has authorized night driving and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield. Then, it may be used at night.

Golf carts may not be operated on public roads or streets by persons under the age of 14.

Golf carts are only allowed a max speed of 20 MPH or less.

For more information on golf carts and roadways/equipment visit this link HERE.
Bold is mine, for emphasis.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Dash camera: Garmin 55 $170 Amazon. Very small, does not block your vision and voice controlled, easy to instal.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Five things you need to know about Florida's Golf Cart Laws

I found this interesting.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I did too. I just checked the actual government website to see the referenced chapter/section. Here it is:
Chapter 316 Section 212 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
Quote:
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a golf cart may be operated for the purpose of crossing a street or highway where a single mobile home park is located on both sides of the street or highway and is divided by that street or highway, provided that the governmental entity having original jurisdiction over such street or highway shall review and approve the location of the crossing and require implementation of any traffic controls needed for safety purposes. This subsection shall apply only to residents or guests of the mobile home park. If notice is posted at the entrance and exit of any mobile home park where residents of the park operate golf carts or electric vehicles within the confines of the park, it is not necessary for the park to have a gate or other device at the entrance and exit in order for such golf carts or electric vehicles to be lawfully operated in the park.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

In the Villages, you always have to plan on having an accident.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Give us more details--make--model--price--ease of the installation? I've been considering one for awhile, Thanks
I bought from Best Buy and had them install it on my auto. My one requirement was removeable media that I could load into my computer. I didn't need a screen for the cam.

When parked my system will activate and start recording if someone runs into my auto.

My dash cam is over a year old and tech changes. Back then I did a Google search for the top 10 models and then read the reviews.

I had Best Buy install the system because I wanted all wires hidden, plus the biggest complaint among DIYers was wiring the system wrong so it drained the battery overnight.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
No, that section refers specifically to golf carts that are designed to go up to 20mph. Here's the entire section:

Evidently you don’t know the difference between golf cart and LSV. Yes golf cart can be low speed vehicle if it meets required regulations for LSV registered and insured.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Evidently you don’t know the difference between golf cart and LSV. Yes golf cart can be low speed vehicle if it meets required regulations for LSV registered and insured.
Evidently you didn't read the actual regulations. It defined "golf cart" - which I bolded for emphasis, as the type of vehicle that goes 20MPH or less. It also defined an LSV, and distinguished between the two terms by requiring a golf cart configured to go more than 20MPH be registered and plated.

There is a section about LSVs, but this section that I copied and pasted, linked to the actual government website and the regulation, cited my source, and bolded for emphasis, does NOT refer to LSVs. It refers to golf carts that are designed to go up to, but not over, 20MPH.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

Read the ACTUAL STATE LAWS WEBSITE. That site is incorrect and is just an "informational" private website. A regular (NOT STREET LEGAL) golf cart cannot cross a highway with a SL over 35 (unless it is determined by the locality to be permitted at a specific location). I used to think what you said was correct until our club had one of the local lieutenants (who is now the captain) quote the law and explain it. Our club, myself included, have MANY SL carts and we wanted that info "from the horse's mouth".
Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Read the ACTUAL STATE LAWS WEBSITE. That site is incorrect and is just an "informational" private website. A regular (NOT STREET LEGAL) golf cart cannot cross a highway with a SL over 35 (unless it is determined by the locality to be permitted at a specific location). I used to think what you said was correct until our club had one of the local lieutenants (who is now the captain) quote the law and explain it. Our club, myself included, have MANY SL carts and we wanted that info "from the horse's mouth".
As I said - and here's the copy-paste of my post at the top of this page:
Quote:
I did too. I just checked the actual government website to see the referenced chapter/section. Here it is:
Chapter 316 Section 212 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
Quote:
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a golf cart may be operated for the purpose of crossing a street or highway where a single mobile home park is located on both sides of the street or highway and is divided by that street or highway, provided that the governmental entity having original jurisdiction over such street or highway shall review and approve the location of the crossing and require implementation of any traffic controls needed for safety purposes. This subsection shall apply only to residents or guests of the mobile home park. If notice is posted at the entrance and exit of any mobile home park where residents of the park operate golf carts or electric vehicles within the confines of the park, it is not necessary for the park to have a gate or other device at the entrance and exit in order for such golf carts or electric vehicles to be lawfully operated in the park.
That is the link to the actual regulation. On the actual .gov website. Chapter, Section, Florida Statutes.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
This will probably make me very unpopular, but I really believe that carts should all be licensed and that anyone driving one anyplace other than on his or her own private property should be required to have a drivers license. The idea that young teenagers and seniors who have had to give up their licenses due to poor vision or physical condition can drive golf carts is ridiculous. It is a miracle that more people are not injured in cart accidents.

kathy
I totally agree for some type of ID system for carts. It's time for cart drivers to be held accountable like all other vehicle operators.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I totally agree for some type of ID system for carts. It's time for cart drivers to be held accountable like all other vehicle operators.
If they are held responsible in the same way that other motor vehicles are held, then they should have the same rights that other motor vehicles have. It's a slippery slope.

Street-legal carts are already held to stricter regulations, but they get the rights that come with it.

Something to identify the cart itself, such as a sticker with a unique number on it, would be to do just that: identify the cart. If there's a hit-and-run it's easier to track it down, if it has a sticker on it.

But there's nothing preventing anyone from removing the sticker - or a plate, or any other thing on a cart that looks like any of several dozen other carts of the same make and model in the Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, purple, car, golf, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.