Golf cart insurance for rentals

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Umbrella policies are "excess" policies. They generally apply after the underlying policy insuring the involved vehicle is used up by offers or payments. So the policy on your golf cart is similar to a "deductible" when it comes to your umbrella policy.

In order to get an umbrella policy you usually have to have all your owned vehicles insured with prescribed limits. I have State Farm and in order to get their umbrella policy you need to have underlying limits on all cars and golf cart of 250/500/100. So my two cars and golf cart have those limits. It also sets out liability limit requirements for my homeowner policy.

Having an umbrella policy doesn't mean it automatically applies if you have a claim that's not covered by your underlying golf cart policy. This varies by company. So don't assume you'll have coverage under the umbrella policy if you or somebody else using your golf cart has a claim. If there isn't coverage from your golf cart policy, you may be responsible for the underlying limit amount before the umbrella applies. Again, this depends on policy language but it's important to remember the purpose of the umbrella policy is to provide coverage in excess of the primary policy applying to the involved vehicle, it is not intended to provide coverage from dollar one.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM

This response is for Golf2140 - are you nuts. Do you have any idea how much money the renters bring to TV? Ask some of your fellow Villagers who rent their units what they would do without the income. You might also ask the restaurants, retail stores, bars and golf courses what they would do without the surge. Fewer renters driving carts, you should thank whoever you pray to that you have the snowbird money coming in or TV would be a shell of what it currently is.
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Default I agree and off topic (sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
This response is for Golf2140 - are you nuts. Do you have any idea how much money the renters bring to TV? Ask some of your fellow Villagers who rent their units what they would do without the income. You might also ask the restaurants, retail stores, bars and golf courses what they would do without the surge. Fewer renters driving carts, you should thank whoever you pray to that you have the snowbird money coming in or TV would be a shell of what it currently is.
His view is typical of a “narrow, me first and only attitude”. Big picture. it takes everything and everybody here to make this place work.
Just noticed your history GO CARDINALS
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Umbrella policies are "excess" policies. They generally apply after the underlying policy insuring the involved vehicle is used up by offers or payments. ......

Having an umbrella policy doesn't mean it automatically applies if you have a claim that's not covered by your underlying golf cart policy. So don't assume you'll have coverage under the umbrella policy .
bimmertl,
Well said! Yes, if your primary coverage is denied for "renting" out your golf car as part of the rental on your property, the umbrella WILL NOT kick in.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

Call your Allstate agent regarding Allstate's decision on rental golf carts.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM

I know the issue of insurance companies not wanting to insure golf carts that renters are going to use has been discussed over and over again but if someone knows a way to get around this insurance issue I would like to know what it is. I have talked to Allstate, The Villages Sumter Marion and AAA insurance companies and the message is the same i.e they will not insure carts that are in a rental unit. From what I have found about the laws in FL an owner is liable no matter what a renter signs. Looks like I will have to rent my place without the golf cart. Does anyone know where one can store a golf cart preferably inside?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Default Golf car insurance

I am a retired insurance broker from Canada. Assuming that the basic rules of insurance are the same here as they are there my take is as follows. A golf car is a motor vehicle, therefore the rules that apply to your car also apply to your golf car. Anyone who is driving it with your permission would be covered to drive it. However, if you rent the cart it is a what is called a material change in risk and I can assure you that if something happens the insurance company would deny the claim. I have talked to several people who tell me that they are covered because they did not tell the insurance company and therefore would just plead ignorance if something happened. Huge mistake. Also, waivers will only work if everything possible goes in your favor. I can assure you that even with a waiver and something goes wrong, as in a claim, the owner will be added to the suit and perhaps down the road you might be dropped off. In the meantime you will have to defend yourself in the claim, with a lawyer, at tremendous cost. I would never ever trust the validity of a waiver.

The bottom line, in opinion, with 40 years in the business, do not rent your golf car without guaranteed coverage and a personal umbrella. The limits given in Fla are so low that you need the extra coverage in the result of a lawsuit.

Before we bought our place we rented from three well known cart rentors and none of them had insurance.

All of us in this beautiful place have worked hard all of our lives to get here, don't rent your golf car without coverage or with a waiver and possibly lose everything you have because of it. It can happen.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.