Golf Cart Issue

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 PM
Default Golf Cart Issue

So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 PM

I have sent you a private message.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
I can tell you that I watch Judge Judy and she always says...A used car has no guarantees. You knew it was twenty years old. You paid 4K for it. So......... Our four seater is almost that old, but it did need a major overhaul a couple of years ago. I think you are whistling Dixie trying to get some "justice " here. It is what it is. Golf carts are not registered like cars in Florida...or anywhere else we have lived.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

A small engine repair shop MAY be able to replace the seals, but at this point it might be better to just but a new or rebuilt engine (with warranty) and install that. There are a few people in TV that repair golf carts hopefully they will chime in here.
Also you might contact seniors against crime and file a complaint.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So no one in Florida can fix it? Seems like there would be plenty with all the carts here. Anyway I know this are excited when you first come down. We had our cart all picked out before we bought and when we bought we called down to buy it. Picked it up the day we arrived. It was only a year old with 20 hours on it. I would not have looked at something 20 years old but that is me. A few months later we bought a 2nd cart, a 2013 which was $6000 after taxes and all. Not as nice as our first one but doesn’t get used much, mostly by company. Good luck in getting it fixed. It should fit in the truck, just get some ramps and tie downs if the tailgate doesn’t go up.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:02 AM

It will fit in the bed of the f150. You will need ramps to load it. I drove to Winn Dixie in LSL and backed up to the curb on the east side to gain some height from the curb to the bed which kept the ramps at less of a steep angle and just drove it up in the bed. I've done this a few times without a problem. You will also need a ratchet strap to ancor it in the bed.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:52 AM

Get a tape measure. See for yourself. Our 4 seater (all forward facing) is too long for the short bed pickup; including tailgate down.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:52 AM

A 20 year old cart? I'm afraid it "Let the buyer beware". On any vehicle that old I would check it out mechanically, or pay someone to check it out.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:58 AM
Email Reported As Spam

When amateur deals with a pro, guess who is going to win. Buy from a resident & but start search with a good mechanic.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can tell you that I watch Judge Judy and she always says...A used car has no guarantees. You knew it was twenty years old. You paid 4K for it. So......... Our four seater is almost that old, but it did need a major overhaul a couple of years ago. I think you are whistling Dixie trying to get some "justice " here. It is what it is. Golf carts are not registered like cars in Florida...or anywhere else we have lived.
Very simple....buyer beware
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 AM

I've got a 2000 Yamaha G16 which I converted to 4 seats with a kit from Buggy's Unlimited. Villages Golf Carts in Spanish Springs service it and do any repairs required 'no problem' but I did buy it from them in the first place back in 2002 ...so maybe they do it for me because I'm an old customer.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have curved ramps that I will sell you for $75. I used them to move a cart a few times but have since sold my truck. The cart will fit in your truck. Send me a PM with your phone number if interested in the ramps.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:31 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default no sales tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the State would be very interested in the cash sale with no sales tax? Be willing to bet he is not claiming this on his tax return. Maybe threaten to notify the I.R.S. Bet this is not the only sale he has not reported.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:52 AM

Continuing to beat this person up does not help. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on. The sales persons name is out there and the good users of TOTV can keep his cheating ways alive.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM

So very sorry for your struggles.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, larry, back, paid, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.