Golf Cart Issue

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2021, 07:08 AM

No more money into this cart!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 AM

Please stop spending money on this cart. Lesson learned, move on.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:34 AM

At least consider what you will spend on gas money driving it to NYS Sit down and calculate it. Do the math !
Put the money toward a new cart or have someone local do it.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Sell it, take the hit mark it up to a life experience move on..
Why keep trying to fix a lemon ?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
I think the State would be very interested in the cash sale with no sales tax? Be willing to bet he is not claiming this on his tax return. Maybe threaten to notify the I.R.S. Bet this is not the only sale he has not reported.
If the cart is not registered and no bill of sale. Then why would state sales tax be required? It was (is) a private sake. Ever buy anything at s garage sale? Did you pay tax then?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:52 AM

"I think the State would be very interested in the cash sale with no sales tax? Be willing to bet he is not claiming this on his tax return. Maybe threaten to notify the I.R.S. Bet this is not the only sale he has not reported."

He offered me the same deal. After hearing many negative comments on him, I walked away.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM

An old vehicle leaking oil is not the end if the world. It can be fixed for less than the cost of bringing it to NYC. It will still need repair in NYC.

It is unfortunate you paid so much for it, but don't compound that mistake by hauling it all over the country.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
I agree with the answer of the expense of driving a pickup to FL and back to NY will cost hundreds. Spend that money on a rebuilt engine or sell the lemon and put all the money toward a mechanically sound cart. That old cart will be a source of irritation for years to come until you finally get sick of spending money on it. Cut your losses and move on. Also to the oh so nice person who had to make the can't fix stupid comment "it must be nice to have gone through life never having made a mistake" at least one you were smart enough to recognize.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:18 AM

You probably have no recourse because you have NO RECEIPT!!! No government agency is going to pursue a action against a business without you having a receipt. Learn from your mistake and move on. Transporting the cart to NY to do repairs sounds crazy. Take a loss now and be done with it. Sell the golf cart at a loss with a written receipt "AS IS with mechanical problems" For the right price someone may want to purchase this cart and invest the dollars needed to repair. A 20 year old cart for $4000 YIKES.
I am a fellow New Yorker and I wish you good luck. Make this a learning experience so its not a total loss.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:25 AM

$4000 for a 20 year old cart? Why not just learn from your experience and donate this to a charity. This would be the best solution for a bad situation.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
I feel your frustration but as they say “‘Buyer Beware”
Old 01-22-2021, 08:33 AM

Thank you! The person who commented already said they made a mistake. Who among us has not made a purchase we regretted?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Not a private sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
If the cart is not registered and no bill of sale. Then why would state sales tax be required? It was (is) a private sake. Ever buy anything at s garage sale? Did you pay tax then?
They bought it from a golf cart DEALER, not a private party.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Sounds like your post is more about your frustration and negative experience with a seller than it is about whether the car fits in a truck. You should retitle the post.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourBrain View Post
At least consider what you will spend on gas money driving it to NYS Sit down and calculate it. Do the math !
Put the money toward a new cart or have someone local do it.
Excellent ideas!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, larry, back, paid, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.