Golf Cart Issue

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM

Check out PODS and UPACK etc - it would probably fit in one of those but you will pay a lot - maybe as much as 2 or 3K to send it to NYS. We are moving from NYS to The Villages and checked them out earlier. It also depends on how long you rent it for. They park it in your driveway, you load it and they pick it up and deliver. You need to find out about a ramp ....good luck
Old 01-22-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
It's a 21 year old golf cart - did you get a warranty with it - probably not - like a used car - these are sold "as is". Sell it - take the loss and have a do - over with what you have learned. The cost of an education can sometimes be pricey.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Larry was probably in shock that anyone wanted to buy a 20 year old cart that he just blurted out a price and I gather you said okay . I’m sorry for you but a 20 year old cart screams buyer beware, cut your losses donate it or leave out on thrash day
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Wow the price on my 2008 just went up
Old 01-22-2021, 09:45 AM
Default Contact a shipping company to bring it to NYS

It might be cheaper for you to contact a shipping company to have the cart picked up in Florida and deliver it to you in NYS. I paid just over $500.00 CAN to have my new 2019 Club Car Onward 4 seater ship from Toronto, Canada to The Villages, FL. Would save you time and the headache of driving there and back just for the cart. I disagree with some of the posts, if your husband is a mechanic it would be worth for him to replace the engine himself. If taken care of, golf carts can last a very long time. Yes, you will need to replace parts and possibly an engine or two but when you do this, you are basically starting with a new cart again. Also, some guys like me, like a challenge like these and take pride in rebuilding old vehicles even if they are golf carts. You may have got scammed with this purchased and I doubt you will get anywhere with trying to get some money back or get this dealership to own-up to the lemon you got. Time to move forward with that lost and think about what the cart can look like after your hubby fixes it just like new. Don’t forget, a new 4 seater cart can’t quickly reach $15,000.00, look at it that way, rebuilding will still save you money.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesburg View Post
Thank you! The person who commented already said they made a mistake. Who among us has not made a purchase we regretted?
dittos. i'd stop spending good $$ & keep the experience under your hat for future purchases. we've all been there-- chalk it up & move on. would hate to see you get involved in this-it's like dumping $ down the toilet.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:50 AM

A cash deal with no paper work.....and no sales tax charged on the sale.......is a serious violation of State revenue laws. It also indicates the possibility of non-reporting of the income to IRS. The seller CANNOT claim that sales tax was "included in the price."
I would give this guy a firm deadline by which to refund your money and take the junk back. Warn him that missing the deadline will trigger a complaint to the Florida Department of Revenue of his illegal business. Then, FOLLOW THROUGH IF HE DOESN'T COMPLY! The Department of Revenue will be very interested.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:57 AM

Try Scott @ Titan Golf Carts South 352-348-7381
Old 01-22-2021, 10:09 AM

Hi Nancy dont beat yourself up about this, yes it is expensive for a cart this old , but they say that carts go on forever . I have a cart that is 17 years old and it runs like a dream. Have you tried Southern Cart works I had a problem with my cart a few years ago and they sorted it , they come pick it up and return usually within a few days
Old 01-22-2021, 10:15 AM

No warranty, no tax, cash deal, good price, so the sells says. Looks like you were looking for a sweetheart deal, and it bit you in the Butt...Swallow your loss and buy a new motor.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

My thoughts, I wouldn't go to the expense of taking the cart north, you can't swing a cat around here without hitting a dealer and mechanic. If you like the cart, and obviously you do, ask for recommendations for a reasonable mechanic and get it fixed. Sounds like it needs seals, gaskets etc...... for much less than the price of a new cart, you can rehab it.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM

I feel for you. Moved to TV with all your retirement hopes and dreams ahead of you and something like this happens. The great majority of businesses that surround TV are great people to deal with. Honest people who realize that their relationship with TVer's are vital to their success. Then there's this guy... You have done the community a service by bringing this to light.
Unfortunately, you will also find that there are people on here who feel it's there obligation to tear people down. It's unfortunate.
Stay healthy - Stay safe - Stay positive - Enjoy every day you have.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

As mentioned above, you could call Southern Cart Works in Fruitland Park and have them fix it, tell them you won't be back for a few months and they can take as much time as they need. Better than spending money to move it around the country. If you just want to get rid of the problem, call one of those ads in the Sun that say they'll buy any cart any condition. Southern Cart Works would also probably make you an offer, they sell used carts. Here's a link to their Facebook page.

Southern Cart Works

The Villages Florida
Old 01-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Sorry for you’re predicament. What seal are you taking About? There not easy to get to and some require engine to come out? If cart runs good take engine out and install new seal. It’s lawnmower engine with lot of accessories systems adapted to golf cart.

Some older model engines have tube with two rubber hoses running up to head. If that’s the model it may just may be rotted rubber hose that connects to tube running to head.

You’re not alone many people don’t have mechanical skills should never buy anything over 10 years old and some should never buy anything used if they don’t understand how it works or how to maintain it.

They oil leak just didn’t appear, you should of seen the oil spots when you moved it or seen oil dripping down under the engine. We probably all been bit and learned these lessons. I learned this when I was 18, brought car on looks alone and didn’t have the ability to determine it it was in good condition.

IMO one thing you shouldn’t do in villages is make quick buy of golf cart. There are plenty for sale. Even 3 year old golf cart here can have thousands of miles on them especially ones used to play golf.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:26 AM

Two things you never skimp on in The Villages. Air Conditioning and a golf cart!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, larry, back, paid, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.