Airbnb

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Default Airbnb

Has anybody noticed that Airbnb has invaded the villages? I just went on their website and they are literally hundreds of houses listed for rent for a night or a week. And all of these people who rent can get guest passes and use our amenities. This is ridiculous and it has to stop. How can we stop it?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Gold member

Not just AirBnB, check out ****, Homes to Go and all the rest of the rental sites out there on the Internet. No rules against it at this point and I'm not sure there ever will be. There's a huge glut on the market of rentals as more and more buy now and plan to retire later.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Do you have any idea how many people get guest passes that aren't even renting in here, just friends of owners who know how to buck the system. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as it's been going on since the beginning.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 PM

I was told in the beginning of time that it's illegal to run a 'business' out of your house in the Villages! I think they need to step up and stop what's against the rules instead of turning their heads about any and all CC&R rules
Old 02-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
I was told in the beginning of time that it's illegal to run a 'business' out of your house in the Villages! I think they need to step up and stop what's against the rules instead of turning their heads about any and all CC&R rules
Internal vs External deed restrictions. Internal are the responsibility of the developer who has no process in place to handle them.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-24-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
I would like to see the airbnb rentals banned also. Some people even rent a room in their house on airbnb. But, I don't think that renting your house on airbnb would be defined as operating a business. Especially, since people rent their houses on a monthly basis all the time. What is the difference?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Internal vs External deed restrictions. Internal are the responsibility of the developer who has no process in place to handle them.
Not correct!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Uber of lodging
Old 02-24-2020, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

In some place where I was in Hawaii they had a rule for residential areas. You could rent out once in 30 days or longer. The renter could stay for one night, but you could not rent out again till the 30 days were over. The residents would monitor their area.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:54 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
In some place where I was in Hawaii they had a rule for residential areas. You could rent out once in 30 days or longer. The renter could stay for one night, but you could not rent out again till the 30 days were over. The residents would monitor their area.
We had a condo with a no short term rental rule. Owners would work out a deal with renters to say they were friends using the owners unit for a week or a weekend. Nothing could be done about it.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Soldier View Post
Has anybody noticed that Airbnb has invaded the villages? I just went on their website and they are literally hundreds of houses listed for rent for a night or a week. And all of these people who rent can get guest passes and use our amenities. This is ridiculous and it has to stop. How can we stop it?
Thanks for starting this thread, you are singing my tunes. We have a neighbor whose AIRBNB is seriously disrupting the neighborhood. Renting a room in your home, while you live there, violates two deed restrictions. First, you can not operate a business from your home. AIRBNB rental income is taxable income from a business operated out of your home. Second, all residential homes in the villages are restricted to single family residential usage. Renting a room from your home, to a non family member, violates this restriction. These particular deed restrictions are considered internal deed restrictions, which are supposed to be enforced by the developers. Unfortunately, they look the other way on this because they are in the business of selling homes. If they restrict AIRBNB’s, they will scare aware potential home buyers. It is very sad that they will fine people for little white crosses, but look the other way on much more serious deed restriction violations?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:45 AM
Sage

Drop a dime on all AirBnB's that u know about to community standards--print their add
Old 02-25-2020, 06:50 AM
Default Rentals

Perhaps the Villages would be better served if the trolls would pick up on this issue and run with it...just sayin'
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Those who board pets in their homes are running a business out of their home. At our first house we had 3 that boarded animals multiple times a week
Old 02-25-2020, 07:18 AM

My husband and I rented here two years ago to try out the lifestyle to determine if we wanted to retire here. Literally 1/2 of our friends and neighbors we’ve met did the same thing as they needed time to explore all the areas to determine where they wanted to buy a home. Others needed to rent after their previous home sold and new home wasn’t ready. The villages “rents” homes they own year round with their lifestyle preview programs again so people can see for themselves what living here is all about. There is too much to comprehend in a short visit let alone from say a hotel room so I for one am grateful for the opportunity to rent first as otherwise we would not now be here or the close friends that have followed us down since.
Closed Thread

Tags
airbnb, stop, rent, guest, passes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.