What does the future hold for...

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default What does the future hold for...

checkbooks, land lines, books, music, tv, and our Post Office?
Technology is leaving what is familiar to all of us "In the dust"...
And with this we will probably lose our PRIVACY but Progress is our most important product, Right????.....Yipsters!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Funny how quickly things become obsolete or unrecognizable. My little niece had no idea what that "blue plastic tray was with all the little squares in it". I told her you filled the squares with water, then place the tray in the freezer to make ice cubes.........she had no idea such a thing existed. In her lifetime, ice cubes magically pop out of the freezer door!!!! LOL!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage

I remember, a few years ago, my sister had her 5 grandchildren sitting on the family room sofa watching tv. They are all fairly close in age, the oldest at the time 8 and the youngest about 4. After a little while, they said to her, "Grandma this program is lousy, what's on On Demand." Of course, she didn't have it and they felt she was suddenly, a relic!....lol.

Actually, some of today's progress is so very helpful to all of us. I have online accounts for the USPS, UPS, FEDEX....sure makes things easier and less expensive.

There really isn't much privacy any longer....and all we can do is make sure no one else can use our good name or accounts for their benefit. Checking your accounts must now be something you have to make sure is part of your routine...not something like, Oh yes, I guess I should check my credit card statements or bank accounts. Ah progress, ain't it grand!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage

Some friends of ours have two sons who were in grade school when the following took place - probably dates back 20 years ago or so.

The boys' father decided to economize on his next new car purchase - get an entry-level type of small car that would get good mileage, just to drive to work and back. So that's what he did - bought a strip-o Civic.

The first time the boys were in the car to take a spin, they looked at something on the interior door panels that they just couldn't figure out - something looked strange to them. "Dad, what are these little lever-things on the doors?"
They'd never seen a car with window cranks instead of power windows!!! YIKES!!

It's all "generational", though. I think about what transpired or didn't exist when my parents were growing up that amaze me. Same with things I remember taking place when I was growing up. And then to look at what's happened over the course of the latest generation - simply astounding, particularly when it comes to technological advances and the impact they've had on so many things.

Bill
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage
Default Typewriter? What's That?

When I graduated from high school in 1979, I received a manual typewriter from my parents as a graduation gift. It served me for my college years, but became a relic after graduation. For the past 15+ years, it has sat quietly in my garage gathering dust -- but I just can't throw it away as it was a gift from Mom and Dad. A few months ago, my 9 year old niece was visiting. I opened up the typewriter case to show it to her. She had no idea what it was or what it was used for. And I felt old. .
Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Old is when your home phone as a kid started with a word - mine was Turner 28546. Before that one, we had a party line with two other families - any young people reading this, no that's not kinky!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

I magically managed to get rid of my last electric typewriter within the last year. It kept taking up counterspace, so it was time for it to go!

I remember my Father swearing that he wouldn't even think about getting a television until they added color! Of course, it didn't take long for him to buy into that modern technology!

Jokes abound about how our grandchildren can solve any computer-related problem without hardly even thinking about it!

I've just been reading an "Open Letter to Alumni" from the current headmaster of my private boarding school. Even though considering myself reasonably well educated by that school and the liberal arts college that followed, I often find it difficult to understand what's being talked about!

SWR
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Oh, Billo

While giving our neice a lesson in driving stick shift, her little brother discovered the same lever (window).....and he wanted to know where the DVD and Navigation System was located in this 1960 VW....Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Some friends of ours have two sons who were in grade school when the following took place - probably dates back 20 years ago or so.

The boys' father decided to economize on his next new car purchase - get an entry-level type of small car that would get good mileage, just to drive to work and back. So that's what he did - bought a strip-o Civic.

The first time the boys were in the car to take a spin, they looked at something on the interior door panels that they just couldn't figure out - something looked strange to them. "Dad, what are these little lever-things on the doors?"
They'd never seen a car with window cranks instead of power windows!!! YIKES!!

It's all "generational", though. I think about what transpired or didn't exist when my parents were growing up that amaze me. Same with things I remember taking place when I was growing up. And then to look at what's happened over the course of the latest generation - simply astounding, particularly when it comes to technological advances and the impact they've had on so many things.

Bill
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
checkbooks, land lines, books, music, tv, and our Post Office?
Technology is leaving what is familiar to all of us "In the dust"...
And with this we will probably lose our PRIVACY but Progress is our most important product, Right????.....Yipsters!
1. Checkbooks will be replaced by cell phones sending payments to the vendor directly or to the bank.
2. Some people use their cell phone in leiu of a land line.
3. Books replaced by kindle, etc.
4. Music replaced by i-pods and thumb drives.
5. Television by the internet broadcasts.
6. Post Office replaced by faxes?

Some things have been improved upon but some things are too much trouble.
If this is progress, then I will stay an old fogey and do thing the old fashioned way, write checks, use the post office and the library for books, watch television and listen to tapes or cd's.

I remember talking to someone who was approximately the same age and mentioned I remembered when there wasn't air conditioning for the home.

A young person said, "you mean there was a time when there wasn't air conditioners". It was an unthinkable possibility to this person

Last edited by 2BNTV; 03-05-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Duplicate Statement
Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
Old is when your home phone as a kid started with a word - mine was Turner 28546. Before that one, we had a party line with two other families - any young people reading this, no that's not kinky!
And do you remember the "postal zone" system that preceded zip codes? Columbus 13, Ohio...............

Bill
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
When my parents built our home (I was 7 at the time) they got a phone number of Bedford (BE)5-6***. Today, 57 years later, I have that same phone number and live in that same home. However, the end of an era may be coming before too much longer if we move down here in TV permanently!
The Villages Florida
BTW, this post is my 444th. Does that mean that I'm 2/3rds away from the reaching the devil? The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Speaking of phones....I'm babysitting my 7 year old grandson this weekend at our house. His Mom just called and Aaron and I are in the guest bedroom watching Netflix. The phone is a land based phone. I handed the receiver to him and he looked for the speaker button to talk. He always uses the speaker function on their cordless phones. Had to show the lad how to hold the receiver to listen to and talk with his Mom....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 PM

Young people today do not plan on paying bills. Isn' the government. Also going g to pay for my guests meals in the hospital also.?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Typewriters continued:

Have you heard about the typewriter guest book at weddings? The idea is to find a "vintage" typewriter, put in a long roll of paper, and have wedding guests type their good wishes. Then roll the paper up like a scroll and tie it with a ribbon.

I heard that people are now renting those vintage typewriters to use for the occasion.

Who knew?

Well, I guess Martha Stewart did because she mentioned them and then said something about how "vintage" typewriters could be found in colors to match the wedding theme.

Wellllll, Martha, I thought "vintage" meant one of those heavy, black typewriters -- with the high keys with gold letters. But nooooooo, seems like, according to Martha, that's not all it takes to be vintage.........

And I am not so sure that I am willing to admit that I know exactly what she is talking about. (Oh well, we're all in this together.)

So anyway, I know Martha is talking about the kind of typewriter that I got for high school graduation. There were ads for them in Seventeen magazine. I think Royal made them, a portable typewriter that came in pretty colors.

BUT, mine might have looked pretty, but the thing jammed all the time. I hated it and wanted to throw it out the window. Other girls in my dorm had problems with them, too. Type. Type. JAM. Type. Type. JAM.

Just think.....had I had a typewriter that did not JAM all the time -- driving me nuts when I tried to compose anything -- always waiting for that JAMMING -- just think....with a better typewriter, I coulda been an English major.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-06-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: changed 'skip' to 'jam' -- just remembered what it was called - hey -- it's been decades
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.