Golf Cart/Person Accident 2/24/2011

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf Cart/Person Accident 2/24/2011

Does anyone know some of the details of the golf cart accident involving a pedestrian last night (2/24) at Lake Sumter Landing? I think it happened about 6:30 or so. Was it a speeding golf cart, alcohol involved on either part, or just plain bad luck?

How serious was the person hurt?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM

2 many carts on the paths we have to be aware of everything around us.....and to many young children driving while visiting.....
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran member
Default Josie gave no answer

I asked if anyone knew of the accident between a pedestrian and a golf cart and just got someone saying there are "2 many carts on the paths and we have to be aware of everything around us and "to (sic) many young children driving while visiting."

This did not answer anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM

There are simply too many booze hounds driving golf carts at the squares between 4.30 and 6.30 PM. Happy hour at home, Happy hour to go, happy hour at the squares. Then the call go home. Just a matter of time! Somebody will get hurt!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default No news

Haven't heard anything, probably won't read anything either. Very rarely does news like that get put in TV paper. I think it's funny nobody knows anything but right away people assume it was a driver how'd been drinking. That's what starts problems. Maybe someone tripped or fell. Maybe someone got sick.Maybe someone had a heart attack.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum member

We were there last night and walked over right after it happened. A woman stepped off the curb in front of a golf cart and according to several witnesses the golf cart driver didn't have a chance of avoiding her. She was face down on the street but was responsive and the word was it was a broken hip or leg. The square was mobbed last night and while we were there saw several passengers hop out of their golf carts to stand in line for reservations or drinks and never looked before they leaped. Saw several close calls. Proceed with caution everybody!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Platinum member

Oh, and alcohol was NOT a factor.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. So see what happens when we assume. Look before we leap. Think before we type.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Haven't heard anything, probably won't read anything either. Very rarely does news like that get put in TV paper. I think it's funny nobody knows anything but right away people assume it was a driver how'd been drinking. That's what starts problems. Maybe someone tripped or fell. Maybe someone got sick.Maybe someone had a heart attack.
Or maybe the pedestrian had been drinking.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

I've observed many times pedestrians just walking without looking for traffic. Have thought during those times that "one of these days" someone is going to be clipped a good one! I know they have the right of way however they too need to be prudent!!! That's too bad about that lady....I wish her a speedy recovery!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Accidents do happen. Drinking aside, there are plenty of people who drive their cars and don't follow the rules of the road...so why would we assume that golf carts are any safer as these same people are drving the carts? I said it before and I will say it again...far too many speeders driving around in golf carts same as they do in there autos. Always have to pass someone and always in a rush to get somewhere

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the good info, Rayan. Yep, I have seen lots of pedestrians just step off the curb into traffic like that. Hope she has a full and speedy recovery.

Skip, usually the Daily Sun does put in all the traffic accidents involving pedestrians just to keep the public informed to be careful. In fact, there was one in the Daily Sun today (Saturday) of a man who was airlifted to the hospital when he either fell or was thrown from his cart.

Hope everyone has full insurance coverage on their golf carts. Having to pay for someone's medical expenses could be very expensive.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM

We drove past just before the ambulance arrived, Plenty of people there to assist. It was on DelMar and an article is in the paper this morning. Single cart accident.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman931 View Post
Accidents do happen. Drinking aside, there are plenty of people who drive their cars and don't follow the rules of the road...so why would we assume that golf carts are any safer as these same people are driving the carts? I said it before and I will say it again...far too many speeders driving around in golf carts same as they do in there autos. Always have to pass someone and always in a rush to get somewhere
Why do you assume it was not the pedestrian's fault? Too many times I have had to stop short because the pedestrian just stepped out into traffic without looking left or right.

The other day I was going down Buena Vista in my car and was approaching Belleaire and was watching a guy getting ready to cross to Harmeswood. He looked neither left or right and stepped off of the curb into traffic. If I had not been watching he would have been toast.

And forget the shopping centers. Many people walking to and from the stores do not look either left or right when crossing to and from the stores. It is driver beware.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Drivers aware for sure!

We also came upon the accident in Sumter Landing shortly after it happened. For a time, there were 6 sheriff cars and 2 state trooper cars at the scene.
After all the excitement was over (2 hours), the troopers let the cart driver leave. There was a loud round of applause from the diners outside at Red Sauce.
My wife and I were then more aware of pedestrians crossing the street. The majority didn't look while using the crosswalks. Many while crossing mid-block, didn't look either. Gas carts sometimes make enough noise to remind us to look but electric carts can sneak up on you. I guess with the popularity of hybrid vehicles, pedestrians should remember what your parents taught you. "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET!!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.