Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

Shopping Center-autos need to slow down and STOP at the crosswalks
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Why do you assume it was not the pedestrian's fault? Too many times I have had to stop short because the pedestrian just stepped out into traffic without looking left or right.
Just today on Canal Street - four people stepped out right in front of me - instead of walking to the crosswalk about 6 feet away...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Gold member
Default golg cart

Let me get this straight. 6 sheriffs cars and 2 state troopers cars,there two hours. I rest my case.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Platinum member

dgammon.....different accident......everyone be careful!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Shopping Center-autos need to slow down and STOP at the crosswalks

I totally agree that cars and carts need to proceed slowly in shopping center parking lots. However, there is plenty of blame to go around. As Caveman pointed out in an earlier post, people just trot out of the stores and across the lane WITHOUT LOOKING ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

Why do they do that? Vehicles can't stop at every storefront in a strip mall. I would think that the mere knowledge that cars and carts are prone to driving too fast in parking lots, would make people stop and look. There has to be some consideration on the part of the pedestrians too.

The frustrating thing is that talking about it won't change anything. People are going to do it and do it and do it. I'm thinking that with age comes the feeling of entitlement. "I'm entitled to walk out here like this and it's the responsibility of others to look out for ME."

jlk
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Let me get this straight. 6 sheriffs cars and 2 state troopers cars,there two hours. I rest my case.

What case? I didn't see a post from you earlier about this. Was it deleted?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Caveman:

I did not assume nor imply the pedestrian was innocent in the encounter. I was merely pointing out my observations of the behavior of cart drivers and auto drivers. IHowever, I do agree with all the other comments about pedestrians stepping into traffic without looking. As to who was at fault in this particular situation I cannot say because I wasn't there nor am I qualified to do so without having all the facts.

I always follow Andy Roony's advise..."Look both ways, even when crossing a one way street".

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Sage

How unfortunate for the woman that suffered by being hit with the golf cart and the driver as I am sure they were not thrilled at having this accident happen to them.

Most accidents are caused by a lapse in judgement.

Be careful out there.

I wish her a speedy recovery.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Gold member
Default russ boston

Maybe you did not get it. Maybe a little overkill.8 police cars for accident.Did not have earlier post.Above posts said all.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Maybe you did not get it. Maybe a little overkill.8 police cars for accident.Did not have earlier post.Above posts said all.
You don't care for police officers?

There isn't much crime in TV for them to solve.

I didn't hear the closing arguments either and I don't get the point on why having all of those police cars there for two hours is overkill.... well, I get that it is overkill, because they weren't really NEEDED. They could be parked outside of Publix eating donuts........They have to be SOMEWHERE.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You don't care for police officers?

There isn't much crime in TV for them to solve.

I didn't hear the closing arguments either and I don't get the point on why having all of those police cars there for two hours is overkill.... well, I get that it is overkill, because they weren't really NEEDED. They could be parked outside of Publix eating donuts........They have to be SOMEWHERE.
Gracie, you took the words out of my mouth. I for one want a quick response and the more the merrier. I have friends who live in densely populated areas and they would be thrilled to see even one car arrive in minutes; unfortunately they (the police) are too busy dodging bullets. We're living in paradise, be happy.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Gold member
Default police cars

Please everyone relax, take a deep breath. Point maybe 8 cars is a lot. Maybe wrong. two hours just seems a little long. No mention of fire rescue.People cheered from outside bar as they where leaving. I was not there and many of you also where not there also. No where did I mention I did not like police. Ease up. Enjoy yourself.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Sage

How about a minor accident such as two carts sideswiping on one of the cart paths? Most of us have insurance I think, so who do you call? Usually the police to get a police report to give to your insurance company. Would the police respond to an accident off public highways? What would the insurance co. require to settle claims?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Sage

Hey, we had three police cars here the other day for a broken car window on the street, so eight for a cart running over someone seems proportional.

What Talk Host posted struck a bell with me. In MA there is a very strict law regarding people in or about to be in a crosswalk. In fact in years past I have seen "stings" where plains clothes police officers will approach a crosswalk and if the cars did not stop they were pulled over and warned or ticketed. Do not get me wrong, this is a good law and I suspect saves many lives.

What it has created though is a set of people that no longer even look before entering the crosswalk. Since they have the "right" to cross if in a crosswalk, they do so without even looking. Even with the MA law, there is no way I step off a curb without making sure drivers are paying attention.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.