Golf Cart/Person Accident 2/24/2011

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Hey, we had three police cars here the other day for a broken car window on the street, so eight for a cart running over someone seems proportional.

What Talk Host posted struck a bell with me. In MA there is a very strict law regarding people in or about to be in a crosswalk. In fact in years past I have seen "stings" where plains clothes police officers will approach a crosswalk and if the cars did not stop they were pulled over and warned or ticketed. Do not get me wrong, this is a good law and I suspect saves many lives.

What it has created though is a set of people that no longer even look before entering the crosswalk. Since they have the "right" to cross if in a crosswalk, they do so without even looking. Even with the MA law, there is no way I step off a curb without making sure drivers are paying attention.
I was thinking basicly the same thing. I must say though that I've use my mobility scooter at both SS & LSL and have been surprised and pleased at how many drivers of both autos and golf cars have been courtious enough to stop and wave me to cross when they could have just as easily continued on without doing so. Either way, I would rather exercise personal responsibility by looking and waiting when necessary than be struck by an inattentive or inconsiderate driver.
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Hey, we had three police cars here the other day for a broken car window on the street, so eight for a cart running over someone seems proportional.

What Talk Host posted struck a bell with me. In MA there is a very strict law regarding people in or about to be in a crosswalk. In fact in years past I have seen "stings" where plains clothes police officers will approach a crosswalk and if the cars did not stop they were pulled over and warned or ticketed. Do not get me wrong, this is a good law and I suspect saves many lives.

What it has created though is a set of people that no longer even look before entering the crosswalk. Since they have the "right" to cross if in a crosswalk, they do so without even looking. Even with the MA law, there is no way I step off a curb without making sure drivers are paying attention.
Yes the law is strict here. BUT I hate when I see people on the sidewalk at a crosswalk, I stop, wave them on and then they tell us to go since they aren't crossing! So it works both ways!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Yes the law is strict here. BUT I hate when I see people on the sidewalk at a crosswalk, I stop, wave them on and then they tell us to go since they aren't crossing! So it works both ways!
I have found that trying to understand the intentions of someone in or near a cross walk can not only be difficult, but dangerous. I've also stopped to waive someone to cross only to see them motioned for me to go, so I have become more careful while driving around TV.

When all is said and done, most of us don't have any sense of urgency while enjoying our time in TV.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Does anyone know some of the details of the golf cart accident involving a pedestrian last night (2/24) at Lake Sumter Landing? I think it happened about 6:30 or so. Was it a speeding golf cart, alcohol involved on either part, or just plain bad luck?

How serious was the person hurt?
the woman stepped out in front of the cart. the driver went about 30 ft and then backed up.
two waiters from Red Sauce vaulted the rail to come to her aid. great young men.
Ambulance arrived last, seemed to take forever.
Unconfirmed rumors from the hospital is that she did not survive.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM

you mean she died
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum member

Any way of finding out if this is true???
Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Any way of finding out if this is true???
I hope it's not true, or course. I would think that this kind of thing would be in the Daily Sun.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

This thread reminds me of what my parents taught me.
It is never good to be dead right.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Lightbulb Avoid Canal Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie70 View Post
2 many carts on the paths we have to be aware of everything around us.....and to many young children driving while visiting.....
There are a few streets that we try to avoid when driving our car and one is Canal Street. We use Buena Vista and Morse whenever possible to avoid
the carts on Canal because there have been a few accidents involving both.

It is so much less stressful and quicker not to be watching out for golf cars.

Let's all slow down a little and remember, also, that the cars in the circle have
the right of way!!!!!! You would never know it.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntmimi View Post

Let's all slow down a little and remember, also, that the cars in the circle have
the right of way!!!!!! You would never know it.
I think speed has very little to do with accidents around the squares. The problem is inattention. That includes cars, carts and pedestrians. People are watching everything except the road ahead of them. Pedestrians wander around like they're at a mall. It can be very dangerous around the squares mostly because people allow themselves to be distracted.
People meander around slowly enough but they have their heads up their you know whats.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
I think speed has very little to do with accidents around the squares. The problem is inattention. That includes cars, carts and pedestrians. People are watching everything except the road ahead of them. Pedestrians wander around like they're at a mall. It can be very dangerous around the squares mostly because people allow themselves to be distracted.
People meander around slowly enough but they have their heads up their you know whats.
I agree with this poster! I see the golf-cart drivers paying more attention to trying to find a parking spot or to see what's happening inside the square (entertainers etc) than what's in front of them. I've actually see both carts and cars/trucks going way too fast in this area as well. THEN factor in the meandering pedestrians...some alone, some in groups, some with children and pets in tow as well. I'm surprised more accidents don't happen there!!! (factor in the alcohol consuption and it's a recipe for disaster)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Just out of curiosity, if a golf cart driver is stopped for speeding in TV and the officer can smell alchohol, are they given sobriety tests and/or breathalisers? I assume the same legal limit applies to golf cart drivers as it does to automobile drivers?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Gold member

Yes they can if you are on the public streets in TV, but not if you are on the multimodal paths as TV has not given them jurisdiction over the paths.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Gold member

There was a brief mention of this accident in the Daily Sun today and that the victim suffered a minor leg injury.

I can not help but wonder why that took seven days to publish.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM

Without going into any detail because of privacy issues...it was NOT a minor injury.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.