golf cart police

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Argue with the cop, not me. He said it would be D&D not DUI. That might be true with a CAR on private property not a golf cart??? You'd have to ask the cop.
Was not trying to argue. Florida Statutes same as Minnesota. Was a cop 30 years.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Driving has become nuts around here
I'm all in favor of a police activity Being able to travel by golf cart is a convenience and a privilege its being abused .
Like many other things
Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Just something else to complain about on here.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Default Golf cart police

There is a police focus on golf carts speeding or not stopping at stop signs. I think there is a unequal enforcement of vehicle laws. I made a mental note of how many days I saw bikers not only not stop at stop signs but pedal thru at 10-15 miles an hour. I reached 21 consecutive days. I did ask a bike rider why they don't stop at stop signs as cars and carts do. His answer is they do not want to lose their momentum and the police don't care
Old 12-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And maybe they can wear armbands with swastikas on them. Beware of creating a police state.

My cart is set to 20, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, it is not so much about the absolute speed as it is how well the driver controls the vehicle at the speed he/she is going. There are drivers who can safely operate at double the speed limit, and then those who shouldn't be on the road at 5 mph(a LOT of them live in TV) A speed limit is simply a one size fits all rule, usually geared toward the lowest common denominator, or reactionary to a previous accident.
It's human nature. We can't stand to see anyone do anything better than us. If you can't beat them, complain about it!!! We were very successful training mellenials to think that way and unfortunately too many people adopted that view themselves.

That cart going 21mph is most certainly a menace to life in The Villages (for some at least). Heck, any cart that catches me MUST be speeding or else they are a maniac driver. It can't be that I am simply driving slower than everyone else.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Personally I don't have a problem if another driver passes me doing 25 mph, that's his choice, no different than driving a car on the interstate. However, I don't like it when driver speeds through our villas, the Publix or Walmart shopping center, or anywhere when people and maybe pets are subject to be walking directly out between cars into the path of this jerk speeding.

The man driving this cart crossing Morse died

The Villages Florida

The man making a U-Turn on Odell died

The Villages Florida

Driving an LSV is not safer, this Atomic Vehicle was crossing Morse in front of the hospital and this driver died

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
And maybe they can wear armbands with swastikas on them. Beware of creating a police state.
That’s a bit over the top, don’t you think? I’m going to assume you’re just having a bad day.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
That’s a bit over the top, don’t you think? I’m going to assume you’re just having a bad day.
Yeah, but not by much. If you get caught going 20.1 in a golf cart, they can pretty much throw the book at you, and you have not created a single safety issue vis a vis driving the same cart at exactly 20.0. Yet, the law allows "street legal carts", which wallow around on the boulevards at 25 with cars going 35 (or more). They eventually cause accidents as drivers make careless moves to get around them. Then there are the cyclists who ride on those same roads in a pack, and blow through stop signs and yield signs as though they were a single entity. I'm sure you've come around a roundabout to encounter the equivalent of a funeral procession cutting right in front of you. I couldn't care less if someone is going 22 or 23 on a MMP or rolls through a stop sign when no one is coming (most of the stop signs on MMPs should be yield signs anyway). I do care when driving behavior creates a safety issue, and that is where the focus of enforcement should lie.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:

My cart is set to 20, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, it is not so much about the absolute speed as it is how well the driver controls the vehicle at the speed he/she is going. There are drivers who can safely operate at double the speed limit, and then those who shouldn't be on the road at 5 mph(a LOT of them live in TV) A speed limit is simply a one size fits all rule, usually geared toward the lowest common denominator, or reactionary to a previous accident.
Except most carts aren't designed for speed, they are designed for golf. We choose to make them unsafe while cars are built for safety at speed. As long as they don't interfere with those that choose to drive at the speed limit I really don't care.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Yes... they were in a golf cart in my neighborhood ticketing people that did not fully stop for a stop sign
Old 12-05-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
has anyone heard of the police, or sheriff, patrolling the golf cart paths, in marked golf carts?
They do not patrol the carts paths, nor do they make an effort to stop the speeding golf carts. This would not look good to the developers customers to visit and see a golf cart pulled over. Golf carts are UNSAFE at more than the 19.8 MPH they are supposed to go. Small, one ply, tires, no roll protection ( unless you believe that the thin aluminum poles holding the roof on is going to do anything ), insufficient brakes, and no seat belts are just some reasons the speed is limited to 19.8 MPH.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
Yes... they were in a golf cart in my neighborhood ticketing people that did not fully stop for a stop sign
Please validate that assertion ?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOL! Unless they are street legal then they can do 25.
I just hope I can get a video of the 25 against 20 high speed pursuit.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
I just hope I can get a video of the 25 against 20 high speed pursuit.
Like OJ in a golf cart pursuit
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flflyer View Post
They do not patrol the carts paths, nor do they make an effort to stop the speeding golf carts. This would not look good to the developers customers to visit and see a golf cart pulled over. Golf carts are UNSAFE at more than the 19.8 MPH they are supposed to go. Small, one ply, tires, no roll protection ( unless you believe that the thin aluminum poles holding the roof on is going to do anything ), insufficient brakes, and no seat belts are just some reasons the speed is limited to 19.8 MPH.
I know of someone that cost them over $900 for going over the speed limit on Morse. They didn't get him for speeding, but for an unregistered, uninsured vehicle on a public road.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, police, heard, sheriff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.