Golf Cart Reckless Driving in my Village

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Default Golf Cart Reckless Driving in my Village

I am starting a Golf Cart Awareness program. I don't know if it will help perhaps will slow down carts. Why?

Approximately 1.5 years ago a reckless speeding neighbor who never gave me a chance to put my seat belt on just hit the gas on a left hand turn starting out and with no forewarning I was ejected from the cart. He had no golf cart insurance and I have sustained injuries. In my Village he has been seen and witnessed speeding around the neighborhood and on Valentines day while our friends were stopped at our corner stop sign he hit the turn so fast (His wife has was the passenger with an obvious medical affliction) he nearly hit my friends car cutting the corner at high speed.
He seems to enjoy it when I express concern to him. Some people "Get off" on that and YES they live here.

This kindergarten childish behavior has to stop, it is just not him but many other "speeding cowboys" who are most likely struggling with their own security issues and feel the need to create drama.

I have been to the Property Owners Association and Sumter County Sheriff office and for now can only turn this into a positive by heading up a Golf Cart Awareness program with support from them.

If anyone is interested please comment with contact information.

Thanks for reading my post,

Last edited by salgent; 02-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Why not try to get his address and start an e-mail campaign informing him his conduct will no longer be condoned. Keep informing Neighborhood Watch when he drives recklessly with a description of his cart and ask them the best way to proceed..
Old 02-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

You were the passenger in his cart when you were thrown out of his cart. I would think his homeowners policy would pay for your injuries or Attorney Dan Newlin would take the case and you could have owned most of the neighbor's assets. I presume you are no longer friends with the neighbor.

Just keep calling the sheriff whenever you witness an unsafe act by this person. Another possibility is to get a GoPro camera to give photographic proof to the sheriff.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgent View Post
I am starting a Golf Cart Awareness program. I don't know if it will help perhaps will slow down carts. Why?

Approximately 1.5 years ago a reckless speeding neighbor who never gave me a chance to put my seat belt on just hit the gas on a left hand turn starting out and with no forewarning I was ejected from the cart. He had no golf cart insurance and I have sustained injuries. In my Village he has been seen and witnessed speeding around the neighborhood and on Valentines day while our friends were stopped at our corner stop sign he hit the turn so fast (His wife has was the passenger with an obvious medical affliction) he nearly hit my friends car cutting the corner at high speed.
He seems to enjoy it when I express concern to him. Some people "Get off" on that and YES they live here.

This kindergarten childish behavior has to stop, it is just not him but many other "speeding cowboys" who are most likely struggling with their own security issues and feel the need to create drama.

I have been to the Property Owners Association and Sumter County Sheriff office and for now can only turn this into a positive by heading up a Golf Cart Awareness program with support from them.

Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors of trying to change this thick skulled individual's driving behavior but I doubt it. Some people just Don't understand golf carts are not toys and at some point will injure or possibly kill others or themselves.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

The Villages offers a golf cart safety class.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

"Awareness" won't do a thing for the people who "get off on it".
You won't get much interest on this board because nobody here ever speeds or drives carelessly.
I only speed when I'm drunk or riding around throwing dog poop on yards.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

Why not a campaign to stop drivers from almost hitting golf carts because they cut right turns in the golf cart lane.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

I am curious to know how you were able to ascertain that he was speeding? As far as I have seen golf carts do not have speedometers? Or is there some other speed indicator?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
You were the passenger in his cart when you were thrown out of his cart. I would think his homeowners policy would pay for your injuries or Attorney Dan Newlin would take the case and you could have owned most of the neighbor's assets. I presume you are no longer friends with the neighbor.

Just keep calling the sheriff whenever you witness an unsafe act by this person. Another possibility is to get a GoPro camera to give photographic proof to the sheriff.
I concur with Sandtrap. Raise his insurance premiums.

Why not take pictures and post them on here? Call him out and put him on notice with the community. Sounds like he's about to cause a serious accident.

Just like school students, you need to observe and report.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I am curious to know how you were able to ascertain that he was speeding? As far as I have seen golf carts do not have speedometers? Or is there some other speed indicator?
My last 3 carts have had speedometers. 1st one didn't, but that was '04.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for your post, salgent. I believe I have read about your story and am sorry for all you have been through. I'm sure that you are very concerned and just want to help others so that something worse doesn't happen. I wonder if you could elaborate a little more about what and how this awareness program will work. In what ways will the POA and Sheriff's office support it and what is expected from those who would participate in it? Unfortunately, I am not down there enough to help out, but I thought if you would perhaps give more details about how it would work, more people might step up to help.

Again, thank you for your efforts to try to keep our community a safe place for everyone.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
"Awareness" won't do a thing for the people who "get off on it".

You won't get much interest on this board because nobody here ever speeds or drives carelessly.

I only speed when I'm drunk or riding around throwing dog poop on yards.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

What Village?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If I fell out (or was thrown out) of a neighbors cart I wouldn't start a golf cart awareness group. I might stop riding in golf carts. They are a risk, no sides, even seatbelts could hold you in as you slide sideways into something hurtful.

Riding a bike is a risk. Roller skating is a risk, a friend had a tri-maleor break of his ankle that took him six months to walk again and may never stop swelling at night, all from roller skating.

Again I bring up what is realistic and unrealistic. I imagine if you formed such a group it would be quickly joined by people who are conscientious and law abiding and careful. The scoundrels that drive like crazy people don't think they drive like crazy people.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

After complaints like this, the Sumter county Sheriffs office will set up speed traps in the local neighborhood and also install MPH Digital readouts on the streets. Believe me I have seen this and once the Sheriffs radar is set up and nabs the unsuspecting neighbors the wrath will easily come your way. Dont get me wrong enforcement is good , BUT many will say not necessary in my neighborhood ...especially if the intended culprit is not one of the captured parties.

Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, hit, speeding, turn, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.