Golf Cart Reckless Driving in my Village

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
After complaints like this, the Sumter county Sheriffs office will set up speed traps in the local neighborhood and also install MPH Digital readouts on the streets. Believe me I have seen this and once the Sheriffs radar is set up and nabs the unsuspecting neighbors the wrath will easily come your way. Dont get me wrong enforcement is good , BUT many will say not necessary in my neighborhood ...especially if the intended culprit is not one of the captured parties.

Good luck!
Huh??
Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Neighbor wars - a good thing to steer clear of
Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
After complaints like this, the Sumter county Sheriffs office will set up speed traps in the local neighborhood and also install MPH Digital readouts on the streets. Believe me I have seen this and once the Sheriffs radar is set up and nabs the unsuspecting neighbors the wrath will easily come your way. Dont get me wrong enforcement is good , BUT many will say not necessary in my neighborhood ...especially if the intended culprit is not one of the captured parties.

Good luck!

Good idea Except it will also catch people driving safely at 21-22mph which 95% of the carts are capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgent View Post
I am starting a Golf Cart Awareness program. I don't know if it will help perhaps will slow down carts. Why?

Approximately 1.5 years ago a reckless speeding neighbor who never gave me a chance to put my seat belt on just hit the gas on a left hand turn starting out and with no forewarning I was ejected from the cart. He had no golf cart insurance and I have sustained injuries. In my Village he has been seen and witnessed speeding around the neighborhood and on Valentines day while our friends were stopped at our corner stop sign he hit the turn so fast (His wife has was the passenger with an obvious medical affliction) he nearly hit my friends car cutting the corner at high speed.
He seems to enjoy it when I express concern to him. Some people "Get off" on that and YES they live here.

This kindergarten childish behavior has to stop, it is just not him but many other "speeding cowboys" who are most likely struggling with their own security issues and feel the need to create drama.

I have been to the Property Owners Association and Sumter County Sheriff office and for now can only turn this into a positive by heading up a Golf Cart Awareness program with support from them.

If anyone is interested please comment with contact information.

Thanks for reading my post,

You sustained injuries. Did you sue? It doesn't matter if he has insurance or not. if you sustained injuries and can prove it was his fault, you can get a judgment against him. In fact, it might force him to sell his house solving your problem.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage

I reset my governor to 21.5 mph max last month. My commuting days are over now since the travel time from my garage workshop to home is about a nano second.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, those who would be interested in a safety awareness program are probably already safety minded and operating their carts in a responsible manner.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, those who would be interested in a safety awareness program are probably already safety minded and operating their carts in a responsible manner.

I run several days week, streets and rec trails, and find the majority of cart drivers are quite courteous and respectful. However there are a few that really make me wonder what they are thinking as they make no effort to reduce speed and give space to others. Occasionally they will even force me off the trail.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I reset my governor to 21.5 mph max last month. My commuting days are over now since the travel time from my garage workshop to home is about a nano second.

As safe as it is That is still illegal. A golf cart is defined in FL as "not being CAPABLE of exceeding 20 mph" so if you get caught in a "Villages Safe Driving Dragnet" you could have expensive legal issues or if you get into an accident your GOLF CART insurance company can refuse to pay. Of course 99% of us have our "carts" set above 20 but most don't think about the insurance issues.

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
I am starting a Golf Cart Awareness program. I don't know if it will help perhaps will slow down carts. Why?

Approximately 1.5 years ago a reckless speeding neighbor who never gave me a chance to put my seat belt on just hit the gas on a left hand turn starting out and with no forewarning I was ejected from the cart. He had no golf cart insurance and I have sustained injuries. In my Village he has been seen and witnessed speeding around the neighborhood and on Valentines day while our friends were stopped at our corner stop sign he hit the turn so fast (His wife has was the passenger with an obvious medical affliction) he nearly hit my friends car cutting the corner at high speed.
He seems to enjoy it when I express concern to him. Some people "Get off" on that and YES they live here.

This kindergarten childish behavior has to stop, it is just not him but many other "speeding cowboys" who are most likely struggling with their own security issues and feel the need to create drama.

I have been to the Property Owners Association and Sumter County Sheriff office and for now can only turn this into a positive by heading up a Golf Cart Awareness program with support from them.

The VHA holds a monthly golf cart safety meeting, have you contacted them??
Old 02-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The VHA holds a monthly golf cart safety meeting, have you contacted them??
Actually that's a good idea. If for nothing else, the OP may be a good person to speak at such meetings having first-hand experience of the importance of it and the potential consequences when one is neglectful. Sometimes doing something like that to reach out to others can be a healing experience for the victim.

Of course, you always have good ideas, Bogie.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

SALGENT, why didn't you put your seat belt on when you first got into the cart? You make sound like you waited until you got to the first corner before you decided to put your seat belt on. A seat belt is a not brainer to grab onto & push it together. Your story doesn't make a lot of sense because by the time you reach your first turn you should of had it clicked together. Just trying to get your story straight!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Golf cart speeding is a major problem. I was in my CAR on Woodridge Dr. doing 27 and I had a golf cart pass me on the right. WOW you think I was a little surprised.
I cannot understand why the Sheriff's Dept does not have a active campaign on speeding golf carts they would make years pay in one week.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
SALGENT, why didn't you put your seat belt on when you first got into the cart? You make sound like you waited until you got to the first corner before you decided to put your seat belt on. A seat belt is a not brainer to grab onto & push it together. Your story doesn't make a lot of sense because by the time you reach your first turn you should of had it clicked together. Just trying to get your story straight!
His post says that he had no time to do that before the driver hit the gas pedal taking an almost immediate left hand turn where the passenger fell out - at least, that's how I understood it to be. As I said previously, I had read an article some time back where he had described in more detail what had happened, that is if the OP is the same person I read about. In that article, if memory serves correctly, he said the seat belts were tucked back into the back of the seat and not easy to just grab and put on if one hits the pedal immediately upon getting into the cart. I also believe they had not traveled very far before the passenger was ejected. Perhaps the OP will re-post to either validate this or clarify it.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

You have great intentions at addressing a growing concern.

How ever how do let an Idiot know their being an Idiot?
Like water on a ducks back it just rolls off
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Golf cart speeding is a major problem. I was in my CAR on Woodridge Dr. doing 27 and I had a golf cart pass me on the right. WOW you think I was a little surprised.
I cannot understand why the Sheriff's Dept does not have a active campaign on speeding golf carts they would make years pay in one week.
LOL. I've had the same done to me, same speed, on Enrique, San Marino, Chapparel, and Carzaras.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, hit, speeding, turn, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.