Driving your golf cart when it is foggy or raining.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Driving your golf cart when it is foggy or raining.

I was on the cart path this morning when the fog came down, I already had turned my lights on. From Morse Blvd along 466, I probably met 75 carts, there were places that the fog was dense, only 1 cart had their lights on. I see carts all time at night without their lights and also when it is raining. It a safety matter that everyone should be aware of. I want to be seen all the time. February 2, 2007, even tho it was daylight and visibility was good, I had a person in a 2004 Caddy run the stop sign and he collided with us, sent me to the hospital strapped down on a back board for 4.5 hours before being x-rayed and totaled my custom cart. I still have problems with the injuries.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Driving your golf cart when it is foggy or raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS G
I was on the cart path this morning when the fog came down, I already had turned my lights on. From Morse Blvd along 466, I probably met 75 carts, there were places that the fog was dense, only 1 cart had their lights on. I see carts all time at night without their lights and also when it is raining. It a safety matter that everyone should be aware of. I want to be seen all the time. February 2, 2007, even tho it was daylight and visibility was good, I had a person in a 2004 Caddy run the stop sign and he collided with us, sent me to the hospital strapped down on a back board for 4.5 hours before being x-rayed and totaled my custom cart. I still have problems with the injuries.
Good reminder. Dennis G.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Sage

Very pertinent reminder Dennis, thanks. Hope you're feeling better with each passing day.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Gold member

Take care Dennis and thanks for the reminder. The fog sure did shut down fast this morning.
I guess people forget that regular driving rules still apply even while driving a golf cart.
I have noticed that the intensity of the headlights vary on the carts.
We haven't bought a cart yet and I was wondering if one of the upgrades are stronger lights? :dontknow:
Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I actually saw somewhere on a Golf Cart customization site that you can purchase fog lights for Golf Carts.

Considering that Golf Carts are used as the preferred mode of transportation in TV it strikes me that headlights should be used at any time visibility is diminished in fact that goes for any type of conveyance used on streets, roads and paths.

DENNIS G, I too hope that you continue to heal. Your story brings me back to the concept of the armored Golf Cart.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Sage

sorry topic cop :cop: wherever you are....

DennisG...How did you get the same picture that F16 uses?

Gee, we always thought that picture is what F16 really looked like. Unless he's your twin brother, one of you (or both of you) are messin' with us.

;D
Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Please oh please do NOT get fog lights. They help your visibility and blind anyone coming towards you. The fog isn't heavy enough to require fog lights here.

Dennis, great reminder. Coming from Northern California, turning on lights if there's fog is as automatic as putting on a seltbelt. Just has to be done. Of course, when we get the tule fog, all bets are off since seeing the front end of your car is a small miracle.

What amazes me is the cars that don't turn on their headlights in the rain here even though it is a law that if the wipers are on, so are the lights.

Low cars, scooters, motor cycles, golf carts all have a greater need to be seen. Many drivers seem to be blind to anything not on the actual road and sometimes even can't see other cars. I recommend that lights be used at all times. Any advantage in these circumstances is a good advantage.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM

redwitch, are you referring to fog lights on Golf Carts or fog lights in general? I personally have not had difficulty with fog lights in oncoming traffic. I have had some difficulty with some of those new fangled super bright head lights though. It is a possibility that I don't find foglights a problem because I drive a mid-size SUV which gives me little boost.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Sage

I was referring to someone saying fog lights on golf carts. Since they are frequently on paths beside the road, those lights are going to bounce all over the place.

As to fog lights in general, if the fog isn't really very heavy (you can see for more than 25 feet or more), they aren't a problem and do their job quite well. Of couse, so will regular lights at that distance. However, if the fog is dense, the lights bounce off the road and back up into oncoming traffic. California, which has very heavy fog at times and where almost every car has fog lights, has made it against the law the use fog lights. How's that for an irony?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
sorry topic cop :cop: wherever you are....

DennisG...How did you get the same picture that F16 uses?

Gee, we always thought that picture is what F16 really looked like. Unless he's your twin brother, one of you (or both of you) are messin' with us.

;D
I found the picture in profile settings. Going to change it later, when I get pictures scanned into the computer. Have been busy, putting laminate flooring down and with golf carts.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM

redwitch,

I did not realize that California had outlawed the use of fog lights! I have not lived there full time since 1983 but I certainly remember how treacherous tule fog is.

OK I rescind my suggestion of fog lights for Golf Carts. :redface:
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Sage

Sorry Topicop, but I have to mention ... that F16, DennisG and Bruce Willis could be triplets. This is getting scary. doh
Old 12-08-2007, 03:54 AM

REdwitch,
I still living in a small town south of Sacramento and my car has the fog lamps. I checked with the DMV online and couldn't find the law disallowing fog lamps, but only limiting the number of lights on the front of the vehicle. Is this a new law coming in? Thanks for the info.

Maximum Number of Lamps
24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.
Amended Ch. 234, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 AM
Sage

No fog lights allowed in CA is also news to me - I better tell the wife not to use the ones on her new car.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Sage

Good idea, Chuck. Cops usually just give you a warning but if it's quota day ....

I'm not sure if it is statewide or something by county. I know you can't use fog lights in any of the Monterey, Bay Area Counties and Central Valley Counties; not sure about the LA Basin -- maybe the ones that really get tule fog? Who knows? I've been pulled over twice for using fog lights. Haven't bothered using them since.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.