Golf Cart rules of the road.

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Bottom line is it never hurts to drive very defensively while in a golf cart. Despite the very large signs posted on the entrances to The Villages many motorist see golf carts, bicycles, and motor cyclists as an impedance in their hurried rush to get somewhere. I've also observed golf cart drivers making assumptions they can out race or play chicken with cars damn near getting hit. I often wonder if other retirement, resort, or recreational facilities in Florida have the percentage of numb skulls we do who shouldn't even have driver licenses? Be careful out there!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:56 AM

Remember the "lug nut" rule; in an accident he with the most lug nuts wins!
Old 11-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Just protect yourself.
Makes no difference what the Rules really are; a mutitude of drivers do not know the ACTUAL rules (as can be seen from reading this thread).
Even if every single one read the rules, there would STILL be a difference of opinion of what the rule MEANS; and a continuation of drivers doing what they think is the correct thing to do.
If in doubt, pull out.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:55 PM

A strict rule when moving to the Villages is, you must first fail your driving test. If you know how to drive you can’t live in the Villages permanently. Temporary is ok, but you’ll need to triple your insurance coverage and let your insurance carrier know. Some carriers won’t insure safe drivers in the Villages, the risk factor is way to high!

Last edited by ScottS; 11-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Default Drive defensively

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Just protect yourself.
Makes no difference what the Rules really are; a mutitude of drivers do not know the ACTUAL rules (as can be seen from reading this thread).
Even if every single one read the rules, there would STILL be a difference of opinion of what the rule MEANS; and a continuation of drivers doing what they think is the correct thing to do.
If in doubt, pull out.
We have lived in TV almost 6 yrs now, and we learned early on that there are some (and the percentage seemed to be exponentially increasing) golf carts drivers who think somehow that they are entitled to the roadway regardless of what type of vehicle they are in. During our first couple of years, we were almost cut off several times coming through the Hillsborough gate by golf carts just merging into the traffic flow and trying to beat us to the first right hand turn at Cosmos Lane. Since those times, we now migrate to the golf cart lane with our signal on and turn effortlessly without hazard. We have learned NOT to judge the demeanor of the driver of the golf cart, we just dictate the rules of the road before a brewing conflagration. Works for us...our part at "defensive driving" amongst some of the morons who appear to be multiplying at an alarming rate.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:46 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
I have a question regarding right-of-way when driving along a road like
St. Charles. We in the cart are 200 yards from an intersection with a car just behind us who is signaling a right turn. It slows to our rate of speed
seeming to want us to proceed through the intersection before it. We slow thinking, we not knowing the correct procedure and not wanting to encounter a large object, let the car pass. The driver of the car following the car we let turn in front of us, is upset. Did we error in our thinking? My thought is, "Defensive driving, especially in a golf cart". What's the right thing to do?
You are correct, the driver is wrong. Congrats for defensive driving
Old 11-26-2020, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The driver in vehicle should of never been along side you if he was turning right, he should of yielded.
This is a common, and dangerous misconception in the Villages. State law requires golf carts to yield to cars but unfortunately the majority of TV golf cart drivers, God love them, do not know this or refuse to comply with this law.

I so wish, for everyone’s safety, that awareness be raised that in the Villages, we have a tradition of cars yielding to golf carts (the opposite of the law).

So please...all newbies and outsiders, be aware of this unwritten law—- in the Villages, cars yield to golf carts. It’s not the way it’s legally supposed to be, but because the developer and the counties are doing nothing to enforce the real law, it’s in everyone’s best interest to learn this here wrong way of doing things.

Gee, I can think of other laws we Villagers, with our enormous power, should be allowed to ignore. Maybe we should form a committee.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
This is a common, and dangerous misconception in the Villages. State law requires golf carts to yield to cars but unfortunately the majority of TV golf cart drivers, God love them, do not know this or refuse to comply with this law.

I so wish, for everyone’s safety, that awareness be raised that in the Villages, we have a tradition of cars yielding to golf carts (the opposite of the law).

So please...all newbies and outsiders, be aware of this unwritten law—- in the Villages, cars yield to golf carts. It’s not the way it’s legally supposed to be, but because the developer and the counties are doing nothing to enforce the real law, it’s in everyone’s best interest to learn this here wrong way of doing things.

Gee, I can think of other laws we Villagers, with our enormous power, should be allowed to ignore. Maybe we should form a committee.
And for those who always clamor for a citation (as I do too), see the paragraph under “Safety”: Golf Cart Requirements | The Villages Florida
Old 11-26-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
The intersection ahead of us was a road to the right only and the diamond lane went right on through. We were going through the intersection and the car was turning right. In a normal traffic situation it would have been as if someone was turning right from the left lane. Just one of those TV things that depends on the drivers. If I was driving the car I would have waited for the golf cart to pass through the intersection, which caused the problem. The car slowed and so did we, thus annoying the driver following the car. We did let the car turn in front of us allowing me to observe the following drivers gesture of frustration .
let the rear driver be upset- i'm in a car & will ALWAYS keep an eye on what you are doing, i don't want to kill you. i'd rather slow a bit to make sure you can see me, -- the car is very quiet. those roads are narrow for a large vehicle & with oncoming traffic & you @ my right i need to exercise extreme caution.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
So please...all newbies and outsiders, be aware of this unwritten law—- in the Villages, cars yield to golf carts.
That is not how we drive. Everywhere I cross paths with a golf cart (like leaving our neighborhood, turning into the parking lot at Sarasota golf facility, or crossing the MMP at Turtle Mound), I have the right-of-way and I take it. However, I always drive slowly.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
That is not how we drive. Everywhere I cross paths with a golf cart (like leaving our neighborhood, turning into the parking lot at Sarasota golf facility, or crossing the MMP at Turtle Mound), I have the right-of-way and I take it. However, I always drive slowly.
Then it’s just a matter of time before a golf cart driver hurls you unpleasant epithets for not yielding, as happened to me my first week living here. I innocently committed the cardinal sin of not letting a golf cart merge in front of me on Canal Street, assuming he knew to come in behind me.

Hope you stay safe and unscathed ignoring TV’s unwritten law. (You even see golf cart drivers here and on other threads talking as if it’s a given they have the right of way - they really don’t know they DON’T have it. It really is a strange phenomenon, that.)
Old 11-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Then it’s just a matter of time before a golf cart driver hurls you unpleasant epithets for not yielding, as happened to me my first week living here. I innocently committed the cardinal sin of not letting a golf cart merge in front of me on Canal Street, assuming he knew to come in behind me.

Hope you stay safe and unscathed ignoring TV’s unwritten law. (You even see golf cart drivers here and on other threads talking as if it’s a given they have the right of way - they really don’t know they DON’T have it. It really is a strange phenomenon, that.)
Can we assume that you and the cart were side by side at the merge on Canal Street? Certainly, a golf cart should yield to the vehicle already in the lane they need to occupy, that only makes sense.

What I've experienced that bothers me is when a vehicle is behind me as we approach the merge and chooses to overtake me while in the merge. I look in the mirror and see that a car is sufficiently far behind, begin the merge, and have to pull back quickly as a front bumper nearly hits me.

I can't believe people are willing to risk their nice vehicles to make a point. Sure, the heavier vehicle will win, but it will be costly to scrape my skin off their bumper.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:45 PM

My dad had a saying “Dead right”. I kind of follow that. Be safe.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Can we assume that you and the cart were side by side at the merge on Canal Street?

I can't believe people are willing to risk their nice vehicles to make a point. Sure, the heavier vehicle will win, but it will be costly to scrape my skin off their bumper.
Yes, we were side by side. I don’t think your “make a point” was directed at me, but I was aware of the rules of the road and figured the golf cart driver was too. I was just driving. Far from trying to make a point.

All that said, let me restate I do now merge to golf carts. Sometimes in life you just have to bite the bullet.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:

Doubt if the Developer can enact state laws......

Tags
car, cart, thinking, turn, intersection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.