A nice gesture

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Gold member
Thumbs up A nice gesture

Yesterday I was driving my golf cart south on Morse towards the gate house and was approaching the left turn to cross over the traffic lanes. There were about 7 or 8 carts waiting to make the left turn. A gentlemen came through the gate and straddeled both lanes and waved the carts to make their left turn. He had blocked both lanes of traffic. I thought that was a very considerate thing to do as their were quite a few cars backed up at the time. Also I didn't hear one horn blast from people waiting in back of him.

Another nice village story.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum member

Hopefully the cars you mentioned that were backed up did not have their fannies hanging out into oncoming traffic.
I like considerate people as much as the next fellow does, but the traffic coming off a roadway should not be stopped to let golf cars pass.

Seeing this type of thing confuses those not familiar with gate or roundabout safety (rules of thumb) and they sometimes end up trying to be nice, but causing a hazard.
SO, I humbly post this note to TV auto drivers:

Please:
If I am crossing in my golf car where there is no gate arm..... your moving auto ALWAYS has the right of way. I am prepared to wait my turn.
DON'T hesitate and wave me to cross! (especially when you aren't using your rear view mirror and don't know what your action may trigger behind you!)

When your auto IS at a gate with an arm, and the arm goes up... PROCEED through. You have the right of way.
DO NOT hesitate or stop and wave at my golf car to pass in front of you.. the car(s) behind you are not prepared.
You may be trying to be nice, but it's a bad habit to get into. If you want to be nice, keep both you and I and cars behind you safe.

If I have to wait in a caravan of golf cars before I can cross, SO BE IT.
Being aware and following the proper etiquette is safer, more considerate to all and will provide the best opportunity to teach others by demonstrating the correct way to do this.
Thanks, everyone.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

I actually think it was a dangerous move. I have seen more accidents caused by someone being "considerate". The safest way is all most always following the rules of the road including the right of way rules. I agree with what uptown girl says.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Hopefully the cars you mentioned that were backed up did not have their fannies hanging out into oncoming traffic.
I like considerate people as much as the next fellow does, but the traffic coming off a roadway should not be stopped to let golf cars pass.

Seeing this type of thing confuses those not familiar with gate or roundabout safety (rules of thumb) and they sometimes end up trying to be nice, but causing a hazard.

Please:
If I am crossing in my golf car where there is no gate arm..... your moving auto ALWAYS has the right of way. I am prepared to wait my turn.
DON'T hesitate and wave me to cross! (especially when you aren't using your rear view mirror and don't know what your action may trigger behind you!)

When your auto IS at a gate with an arm, and the arm goes up... PROCEED through. You have the right of way.
DO NOT hesitate or stop and wave at my golf car to pass in front of you.. the car(s) behind you are not prepared.
You may be trying to be nice, but it's a bad habit to get into. If you want to be nice, keep both you and I and cars behind you safe.

Being aware and following the proper etiquette is safer, more considerate to all and will provide the best opportunity to teach others by demonstrating the correct way to do this.
Thanks, everyone.
I couldn't agree more... I can't tell you how many times people have stopped to let golf carts go without noticing traffic somewhere else that may slam into the cart. If everyone drives according to the rules of the road... traffic would flow much easier.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post

Please:

Thanks, everyone.
Well said, this drivers'actions only create more of a hazard.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Gold member

I can understand what you guys are saying and normally that would hold true. However, the cars behind this guy were not moving and it only took about 20 seconds for the golf carts to make the left turn. On occasion I have let a golf car cross when the cars are backed up and there was no movement of cars. When I did this there was no chance of an accident as far as I could tell.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Yesterday I was driving my golf cart south on Morse towards the gate house and was approaching the left turn to cross over the traffic lanes. There were about 7 or 8 carts waiting to make the left turn. A gentlemen came through the gate and straddeled both lanes and waved the carts to make their left turn. He had blocked both lanes of traffic. I thought that was a very considerate thing to do as their were quite a few cars backed up at the time. Also I didn't hear one horn blast from people waiting in back of him.

Another nice village story.

John
I don't think this is ever a good idea.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I can understand what you guys are saying and normally that would hold true. However, the cars behind this guy were not moving and it only took about 20 seconds for the golf carts to make the left turn. On occasion I have let a golf car cross when the cars are backed up and there was no movement of cars. When I did this there was no chance of an accident as far as I could tell.

John
Thanks for the story and clarification. Sadly, your clarification won't stop people from picking your post apart.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCrocked View Post
Thanks for the story and clarification. Sadly, your clarification won't stop people from picking your post apart.
Betty, nobody is picking apart John's post. We are just trying to clarify the safety aspect of not waving golf carts thru. There is a method to this madness regarding right of ways. The safest method is for the golf carts to wait until they have the right of way.
Skip 2
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM

I didn't see anyone trying to clarify. Every reply said it was the wrong thing to do and dangerous. Yet not a single reply asked for any clarification.
I have spent two months reading this board wondering why so many people who live in Disney world for adults appear to spend half their waking hours trying to find fault with every post on an Internet message board. People try to pay a compliment and get raked over the coals. There are quite a few in "the friendliest hometown" who need to spend more time enjoying their lifestyle and less time on the Internet blasting people with bitterness from behind a keyboard. Like I've said before, had I read much on this board before visiting, I would have never bought a home there.
I need to stop reading this board before I start thinking that everyone down there is overly negative and bitter.
I think that I need to find a more upbeat, positive, friendly place to read about TV. Yall have fun.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I didn't see anyone trying to clarify. Every reply said it was the wrong thing to do and dangerous. Yet not a single reply asked for any clarification.
I have spent two months reading this board wondering why so many people who live in Disney world for adults appear to spend half their waking hours trying to find fault with every post on an Internet message board. People try to pay a compliment and get raked over the coals. There are quite a few in "the friendliest hometown" who need to spend more time enjoying their lifestyle and less time on the Internet blasting people with bitterness from behind a keyboard. Like I've said before, had I read much on this board before visiting, I would have never bought a home there.
I need to stop reading this board before I start thinking that everyone down there is overly negative and bitter.
I think that I need to find a more upbeat, positive, friendly place to read about TV. Yall have fun.
Boy Howdy

John. You know I think the world of anything you do or say and feel the same about Nancy.

I am not saying Boy Howdy to YOU, John.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The OP and his wife are my friends. We have enjoyed them visiting in our home. We know John and Nancy to be smart, fair, nice and extremely talented. We love them to pieces.

People were making a point to new residents or folks who have not visited here that it is dangerous to allow carts to assume they have the right of way, no matter how kind the gesture is.

I turned into our village off of 466 the other day and continued through the gate and in so doing a golf cart was forced to stop. I was NOT being discourteous, my inclination would have been to let her through but I know that may allow her to think she had the right of way and she could pull in front of a car who would not stop and she might be badly hurt.

She had to stop and apparently she thought I was being discourteous because she flipped me the bird.

Betty Crocked, if you see differences of opinion on here, many times they are NOT meant to be mean...granted some are. You soon get to recognize the screen name of some folks and know JUST what to expect. But when you disagree that does not always mean you disrespect.

Stay, Betty. We need your views.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The rules of the road in TV are all designed for safety. If we start choosing which ones to follow, or not, the safety is compromised. It's natural to some of us to be kind and let others go through, but it frequently causes confusion and could result in harm.

Nobody's picking the OP's post apart. We're simply trying to impart our views. I think the majority of opinion here is that it is safest to follow the rules of the road. Maybe if a person construes this as bitter, another form of social media might be more appropriate for that person.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

I have had drivers wave me across, but I never do. I just sit there until it is clear to cross. Happens a lot at Morse and El Camino circle. Car drivers should just keep moving.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
You have a home here.......how much time have you spent in The Villages?
BTW two months isn't a very long test.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.