Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2020, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

My cart will only do 38mph on level ground.

I've heard that using seltzer water and filling all of the batteries to the very top...will give me more speed.

Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
I've been here for many years and I've never once have I had an issue with a driver of a golf cart going too fast...never. However, those of you that think 18mph is fast enough because you've personally decided that's as fast as you are comfortable driving do in fact cause a lot of problems. If you look in your rear-view mirror and see a line of 3 or more golf carts - pull over and let them by (and don't come post here thinking that everyone behind you is driving a corvette inspired golf cart).

I may have allowed the 5 extra minutes as some say to accommodate the 20mph speed limit but I didn't allow the 10+ extra minutes to follow behind someone going 18mph and 5mph around a turn that was designed for 15mph. Just because "you" are not comfortable driving a golf cart at 18mph doesn't mean the rest of us aren't comfortable driving a golf cart at 20mph.
If you look above you will see my post was a response to OrangeBlossomBaby's concern regarding speed and safety making a turn. Where you live and how long you have been there has nothing to do with these realities. The laws of physics apply everywhere.

As far a me coming here posting about corvette inspired golf carts behind me, I made no such statement. If I had, you would know my thoughts on that. Why you felt a need to speculate what my thoughts are on a subject I never said anything about, I don't know.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:05 PM

I had been going 35 and was barely keeping up with a golf cart the other day. I passed him just at the merge point. He did not look happy. Too bad.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
This explanation aught to be good new lesson in physics
Nothing new. The solution is as old as the wheel itself.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
I've been here for many years and I've never once have I had an issue with a driver of a golf cart going too fast...never. However, those of you that think 18mph is fast enough because you've personally decided that's as fast as you are comfortable driving do in fact cause a lot of problems. If you look in your rear-view mirror and see a line of 3 or more golf carts - pull over and let them by (and don't come post here thinking that everyone behind you is driving a corvette inspired golf cart).

I may have allowed the 5 extra minutes as some say to accommodate the 20mph speed limit but I didn't allow the 10+ extra minutes to follow behind someone going 18mph and 5mph around a turn that was designed for 15mph. Just because "you" are not comfortable driving a golf cart at 18mph doesn't mean the rest of us aren't comfortable driving a golf cart at 20mph.
Golf carts are not ALLOWED to exceed 20mph even if they can, even in an area where the speed limit is 25, if their cart is not street legal. Most carts are not street legal. Most carts can't go 20MPH unless they've been modified - they usually come with a top speed of 18mph.

Rental golf carts are set at 16mph max.

If you want to behave like speedy gonzalez and that extra 2mph is a deal-breaker for you, then street-legalize your golf cart and drive in the main traffic lane - and get off the golf cart paths entirely.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM

My golf cart is set at 20mph, just like it's supposed to be. Thank you for your concern though. It just doesn't bother me that others go faster than me.

Last edited by GoPacers; 02-08-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Default Golf cart speed

We were told the speed limit for golf carts is 23 and that is what ours is calibrated.

Where is the 20mph limit i'm seeing?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Nothing new. The solution is as old as the wheel itself.
Please by all means enlighten us with your mechanical wisdom
Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpan View Post
We were told the speed limit for golf carts is 23 and that is what ours is calibrated.

Where is the 20mph limit i'm seeing?
320.055. (22) “Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

That's why earlier posts mentioned that the ticket you'll receive is not a speeding ticket, but for driving an unregistered vehicle. If you're going over 20 mph, by definition you're no longer a golf cart but a LSV (low speed vehicle), which means you need to have a license plate and insurance like on a car. Also windshield wipers, seat belts, etc. So that is why you need to appear in court and to show documentation that cart has been reduced to the legal golf cart speed of 20 mph or less.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
How do you retro fit a governor ?
Vote him out of office?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
320.055. (22) “Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine

That's why earlier posts mentioned that the ticket you'll receive is not a speeding ticket, but for driving an unregistered vehicle. If you're going over 20 mph, by definition you're no longer a golf cart but a LSV (low speed vehicle), which means you need to have a license plate and insurance like on a car. Also windshield wipers, seat belts, etc. So that is why you need to appear in court and to show documentation that cart has been reduced to the legal golf cart speed of 20 mph or less.

100% correct. Most people miss the "CAPABLE OF" part of your comment. Just because one drives 20 or under doesn't mean anything. If one's cart is CAPABLE OF EXCEEDING 20MPH (doesn't matter if you actually do) you have a couple problems:

One is still in violation of the golf cart law and may have to go through the court appearance for unlicensed motor vehicle $$$$ if you are stopped for ANY reason not just speeding.

And more important, IF one gets into an accident and their insurance company finds out their cart is CAPABLE OF exceeding 20mph they likely ain't gonna pay since you bought the wrong policy If heaven forbid someone is seriously injured and sues you can be in big trouble.

That being said, probably 90% of the carts here are CAPABLE OF (speed set to allow) exceed 20mph so obviously the law is RARELY enfoced since cops have better things to do that watch golf carts unless they need to fill up the violation fund in town..
Old 02-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:

Well said
Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine

Technically speaking internal combustion is not a motor at all
Its an engine electric is referred to as a motor
Old 02-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Golf carts are not ALLOWED to exceed 20mph even if they can, even in an area where the speed limit is 25, if their cart is not street legal. Most carts are not street legal. Most carts can't go 20MPH unless they've been modified - they usually come with a top speed of 18mph.

Rental golf carts are set at 16mph max.

If you want to behave like speedy gonzalez and that extra 2mph is a deal-breaker for you, then street-legalize your golf cart and drive in the main traffic lane - and get off the golf cart paths entirely.
Actually street legal carts are permitted on the GC paths aka MMP's as well as on the golf course (with proper tires of course). They are also permitted in the diamond lanes according to The Sherrif's office who spoke at our club early last year. The MMP info is posted right on the VCCD website and specifically approved by TV attorneys. I carry a printout of the letter in my cart so when Mr. Know-It-All pulls up next to me on the MMP with his blinker still blinking for the last 3 miles, and shakes his stinky cigar in my face and tells me I shouldn't be there (true story) I just hand him a copy and smile and drive off.

EDIT: Also, according to the Sheriff's office speaker there is no "specific speed limit" for the diamond lanes other than the LEGAL limitations of the type of cart (20) or LSV (25).
Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM

If you get stopped by a police officer while driving a golf cart for anything other than speeding, how on earth does the cop know how fast your cart "can" go?
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.