Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpan View Post
We were told the speed limit for golf carts is 23 and that is what ours is calibrated.

Where is the 20mph limit i'm seeing?

Just for kicks, I went to SUMTERcountysheriff dot org .
There, I found a video titled Golf Cart Safety narrated by Sheriff Farmer. In it, he clearly states the speed limit for golf carts is 20 mph.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Actually street legal carts are permitted on the GC paths aka MMP's as well as on the golf course (with proper tires of course). They are also permitted in the diamond lanes according to The Sherrif's office who spoke at our club early last year. The MMP info is posted right on the VCCD website and specifically approved by TV attorneys. I carry a printout of the letter in my cart so when Mr. Know-It-All pulls up next to me on the MMP with his blinker still blinking for the last 3 miles, and shakes his stinky cigar in my face and tells me I shouldn't be there (true story) I just hand him a copy and smile and drive off.

EDIT: Also, according to the Sheriff's office speaker there is no "specific speed limit" for the diamond lanes other than the LEGAL limitations of the type of cart (20) or LSV (25).
Interesting read on the VCCD website. Thanks for that info.

Upon reading it, it seems apparent that a lot of people posting here have not read it.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Interesting read on the VCCD website. Thanks for that info.

Upon reading it, it seems apparent that a lot of people posting here have not read it.

Yea, it seems that is quite normal around here.

Here is the link for those who have a search impairment: MMP ADOPTED RULES

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-11-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
If you get stopped by a police officer while driving a golf cart for anything other than speeding, how on earth does the cop know how fast your cart "can" go?
If he wants to give you a BIG ticket because you may be giving him a hard time all he would have to do is climb in and step on the gas.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpan View Post
We were told the speed limit for golf carts is 23 and that is what ours is calibrated.

Where is the 20mph limit i'm seeing?
Google is your friend. Just type in FLORIDA GOLF CART REGULATIONS or any of 100 other variations on that theme. Google makes things soooo easy. Here's a small hint: Five things you need to know about Florida's Golf Cart Laws

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-11-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
If he wants to give you a BIG ticket because you may be giving him a hard time all he would have to do is climb in and step on the gas.
I won't be giving him/her a hard time. This would not be a stop for speeding, as I stated above.

However, if the officer did this (climb in and step on the gas) it would violate Constitutional Criminal Procedure as we know it.

Furthermore, it would be the logical equal to an officer writing a person a ticket for a burnt out tail light bulb on a Ferrari, to also add a ticket for driving 200 mph because the vehicle is "capable" of doing 200 mph.

Last edited by Double Eagle; 02-11-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
I won't be giving him/her a hard time. This would not be a stop for speeding, as I stated above.
Furthermore, it would be the logical equal to an officer writing a person a ticket for a burnt out tail light bulb on a Ferrari, to also add a ticket for driving 200 mph because the vehicle is "capable" of doing 200 mph.
And therein lies the utter stupidity of the way the law is worded---"capable of". Let's arrest all gun owners because they're "capable of" killing someone. Let's arrest all teachers because they're "capable of" misinforming or indoctrinating our children. Let's arrest all liquor store owners as well.
The way the law is written, if you own a brand new cart that is "capable of" going 24mph, you just took delivery into your driveway, and then pull it 1 foot out onto the road at 3 mph----you're guilty
This is similar to the movie "Minority Report". In the US we're supposed to have the presumption of innocence , this law presumes guilt. (Yes, I know if it can go 24 you'll probably go 24, but then you should be caught AFTER you do it)

PS. All carts are "capable of" going 176 mph, just drop them out of an airplane above 10,000 feet
Old 02-11-2020, 08:25 AM

Ticket them all, on the cart paths or road. Also get them for not knowing what STOP means, blinkers are for, head lights are for and towels hanging over tail lights. No problem with making money off of it. Increase the fines and make them stick. If you do not break the law you have no worries.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcnall View Post
Snowbirds should be required to read up on golf cart driving rules. In one day, last Tuesday, I saw a non-street legal golf cart on Buena Vista going around circle and later on, I saw one on Buena Vista turning onto Rt. 466. Both were regular Yamaha gas golf carts.
Were there signs on those carts warning about the drivers being snowbirds?

Seriously, we have seen hideous driving here throughout the year. We are living in a retirement community. It just makes sense to slow down, pay attention and watch out for the other person no matter what time of year it is.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
And more important, IF one gets into an accident and their insurance company finds out their cart is CAPABLE OF exceeding 20mph they likely ain't gonna pay since you bought the wrong policy If heaven forbid someone is seriously injured and sues you can be in big trouble.
That is exactly why I haven't set my golf cart to exceed 20 mph.
I bought my Yesteryear Kart it at Villages Golf Carts.
They will set the golf cart to exceed 20 mph, however
anyone who buys a golf cart there has to sign a document
that protects them if you want them to set the golf cart faster.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage

\\\\
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And therein lies the utter stupidity of the way the law is worded---"capable of". Let's arrest all gun owners because they're "capable of" killing someone. Let's arrest all teachers because they're "capable of" misinforming or indoctrinating our children. Let's arrest all liquor store owners as well.
The way the law is written, if you own a brand new cart that is "capable of" going 24mph, you just took delivery into your driveway, and then pull it 1 foot out onto the road at 3 mph----you're guilty
This is similar to the movie "Minority Report". In the US we're supposed to have the presumption of innocence , this law presumes guilt. (Yes, I know if it can go 24 you'll probably go 24, but then you should be caught AFTER you do it)

PS. All carts are "capable of" going 176 mph, just drop them out of an airplane above 10,000 feet
you know that would be dangerous, right? Probably even illegal..but if you do it let me know, I want to watch.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patemack12 View Post
They give most females warnings as long as they have not used drugs or alcohol but most males get ticketed.
Can we see your research? That's a bold statement.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When the cops set up, they're usually a little further up on Baileys Trail by Cane Garden. They park by the pump house near the first hole on Allamanda nine. Back in December they were set up all along that area for a week or two. I dialed my cart back a couple of years ago, I had it sped up for about five years. I found it didn't really make that big a deal taking five minutes more to get somewhere. Think about it, if you have an accident do you want to risk your insurance being voided.

As Chatbrat said, it's expensive. It's not a speeding ticket, since you're no longer operating in the state of Florida prescribed as a golf cart, you'll given a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle. Since you're going over 20mph, they consider you should been licensed. I believe the final tally will be about $450 in costs. You'll have to get a letter from a licensed mechanic that your cart was dialed back to to cart speed. You'll need to go to court in Bushnell and if you make the mistake up showing up in shorts, even at 10am, your case will be pushed to the end of the day, about 4:30.

This was in the Villages News online paper. Serious accident first week of the year 2020 in the Village of Winifred. A 70 year old villager drove in front of an SUV, he had to be airlifted to Ocala Regional. They write, the sheriff's office said there were 29 golf cart crashes in the Sumter County portion of The Villages in the final quarter of 2019. Eighteen tickets were issued that same quarter to golf cart operators.

The Villages Florida
I drove past this accident just after it happened. It was on the street shortcut just past Palmer CC that most people take to go to Glenview or Nancy Lopez. There must have been 10 police cars there and the street was closed. I knew it was serious.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

My old cart would go 30 but I never go passed 21 on the street. My new one is set at 24 but I only do that on the trail. I talked to a Sumter deputy one day at Subway and he said they would give you to 23 going down hill on a street but on flat ground they will stop you at 21. He said the only jurisdiction they have on the golf trails is for reckless behavior or operating a golf cart with open container or DUI. The total fine is $450 including court cost and you have to certify that your cart has been set at 20 to the judge. Some snowbirds or others just don't care and they blow passed you on the street. It is actually against the law to pass another cart on the street and they can ticket you for that also. People do not realize how easy a cart will flip over if you stop quickly. I was riding my bike going North on the trail by Morse and just before the Havana tunnel there is a hill before you make the left turn into the tunnel. A cart behind me did not see me turning left and slammed on his brakes and flipped over on the driver side before the tunnel. We helped him turn his cart upright, gather his clubs etc.. He only had a scrape on his arm and he said "I have to go, I have a T Time." Still don't know how you turn over a cart on the driver side and not be injured greatly.

Last edited by TimeForChange; 02-14-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.