Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

This isn't rocket science. If you want your golf cart set for higher than 20, you may. But you must do a bunch of other things in addition to setting it higher, in order for it to be legal to drive it on public roads at ANY speed. If you don't want to do those bunch of other things, then keep your golf cart set to 20 or lower, and all will be well.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

it's sensible to have a speed limit, and 20mph is a sensible speed limit. If the speed limit were 25, folks would want to go 30.
I'm far from convinced that ticketing folks for going 21 or 22 on Morse, when the cars are zipping by them at 15-20 mph faster makes sense. In some ways, it's the speed difference between auto traffic and bicycles and carts that contributes to the inherent danger.

Face it, there are places where going 20, or 18, or even 15 is dangerous, due to the road or path curving, or blind spots where you can't see pedestrians or bicycles. And there are places where going 22 or 23 would be perfectly safe.

The law is the law, and one breaks it at the risk of paying a steep fine, but the law doesn't necessarily reflect on the safety of the act, at a particular piece of roadway, or in a particular circumstance. When a cart pulls out in front of a car, and gets hit by the car, they aren't usually going in excess of the speed limit, but they are driving unsafely.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Maybe that deputy was doing some "chain pulling". I have extreme doubts that any officer is going to pull over and ticket a golf cart doing 21 mph. Or even 23 down a hill.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

" Some snowbirds or others just don't care and they blow passed you on the street. " It must seem easy to blame eveything on the snowbirds. Our cart will do 20 - period. We are passed often at all times of the year. Are those snowbirds spending 12 months each year now?
Old 02-15-2020, 12:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
" Some snowbirds or others just don't care and they blow passed you on the street. " It must seem easy to blame eveything on the snowbirds. Our cart will do 20 - period. We are passed often at all times of the year. Are those snowbirds spending 12 months each year now?
I noticed that comment as well. I decided to let it pass. Those pesky snowbirds are supposed to stay up north and leave their houses vacant all 12 months of the year, while paying all of the yearly fees that keep The Villages running, instead of just leaving their houses vacant for 8 months, while paying all of the yearly fees.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patemack12 View Post
They give most females warnings as long as they have not used drugs or alcohol but most males get ticketed.
That's a general statement. I'd like to see the research.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-15-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Ticket them all, on the cart paths or road. Also get them for not knowing what STOP means, blinkers are for, head lights are for and towels hanging over tail lights. No problem with making money off of it. Increase the fines and make them stick. If you do not break the law you have no worries.
Sorry, they don't give out civics awards on TOTV.

It seems that you proceed from the assumption that everyone driving, say on Buena Vista at 35 is a skilled, safe driver, but once the speedometer hits 36 they become reckless maniacs that should be thrown in jail.
However, driving skill is much more important than actual speed as far as safety goes. Personally, I'd rather be on BV in the vicinity of a NASCAR champion driving at 70 than most of the Villagers driving at 20.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Sorry, they don't give out civics awards on TOTV.

It seems that you proceed from the assumption that everyone driving, say on Buena Vista at 35 is a skilled, safe driver, but once the speedometer hits 36 they become reckless maniacs that should be thrown in jail.
However, driving skill is much more important than actual speed as far as safety goes. Personally, I'd rather be on BV in the vicinity of a NASCAR champion driving at 70 than most of the Villagers driving at 20.
Nope just saying if you can not do the time/pay the fine do not do the crime. Said nothing about safe or unsafe drivers. My thought is about a crime and breaking the law.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Good for you.

But if you drive the speed limit in your car, you must be getting passed by lots of cars that aren’t getting ticketed too.
Bottom line. Golf carts are designed to be used on golf course and the law says max speed 20. It is a privilege to be able to mingle with autos in The Villages. That privilege can be taken away.

Follow the law.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Bottom line. Golf carts are designed to be used on golf course and the law says max speed 20. It is a privilege to be able to mingle with autos in The Villages. That privilege can be taken away.

Follow the law.
Maybe the law is stupid and should be changed. Not necessarily the speed, but the phrase "capable of"
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 PM
Sage

Quote:

Follow the law.
Not sure I understand the context of this post with respect to my post which it quoted.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Maybe the law is stupid and should be changed. Not necessarily the speed, but the phrase "capable of"
You have the right to try and get the law changed. It is at this time the law.

Did you teach your children that some laws are stupid and it is okay to break them because you don’t agree with them? How bout your grandchildren?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
You have the right to try and get the law changed. It is at this time the law.

Did you teach your children that some laws are stupid and it is okay to break them because you don’t agree with them? How bout your grandchildren?
Which is why my cart is set at 20, and I hope my children and grandchildren would do the same. Why would you assume I had any intention whatsoever of breaking the law? That doesn't change the fact that this law is poorly worded and should be revised.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:12 AM

According to the below link, it appears speed enforcement by the sheriff's dept. can not be performed on the MMP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Yea, it seems that is quite normal around here.

Here is the link for those who have a search impairment: MMP ADOPTED RULES
Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
The other day I saw one on Rolling Acres going south, just before 466. No plate on back of cart.

kathy
Just wondering if a street legal cart is supposed to have a plate stating that it is "STREET LEGAL". I once came upon a cart on Morse going around the circle heading towards 466. When the driver was stopped a the light at Morse and 466, I asked if his cart was Street Legal because I did not see a plate saying it was street legal. The driver told me he does not have to have a plate stating his cart is street legal and I was to mind my own business.

So......are street legal carts supposed to have a plate stating they are street legal?

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.