Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
This isn't rocket science. If you want your golf cart set for higher than 20, you may. But you must do a bunch of other things in addition to setting it higher, in order for it to be legal to drive it on public roads at ANY speed. If you don't want to do those bunch of other things, then keep your golf cart set to 20 or lower, and all will be well.
Well said.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I noticed that comment as well. I decided to let it pass. Those pesky snowbirds are supposed to stay up north and leave their houses vacant all 12 months of the year, while paying all of the yearly fees that keep The Villages running, instead of just leaving their houses vacant for 8 months, while paying all of the yearly fees.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
100% correct. Most people miss the "CAPABLE OF" part of your comment. Just because one drives 20 or under doesn't mean anything. If one's cart is CAPABLE OF EXCEEDING 20MPH (doesn't matter if you actually do) you have a couple problems:

One is still in violation of the golf cart law and may have to go through the court appearance for unlicensed motor vehicle $$$$ if you are stopped for ANY reason not just speeding.

And more important, IF one gets into an accident and their insurance company finds out their cart is CAPABLE OF exceeding 20mph they likely ain't gonna pay since you bought the wrong policy If heaven forbid someone is seriously injured and sues you can be in big trouble.

That being said, probably 90% of the carts here are CAPABLE OF (speed set to allow) exceed 20mph so obviously the law is RARELY enforced since cops have better things to do that watch golf carts unless they need to fill up the violation fund in town..
Your last paragraph says it all. Drivers of carts which can exceed 20 MPH will most likely not be stopped by law enforcement. I don't think those people realize they are in BIG trouble with their insurance company if they are in an accident, especially if someone is injured or killed.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of being sued and having my insurance company refusing (rightfully) to pay if the cart is capable of going over 20 MPH, even if I NEVER drove the cart over 20 MPH on level ground.

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-18-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I noticed that comment as well. I decided to let it pass. Those pesky snowbirds are supposed to stay up north and leave their houses vacant all 12 months of the year, while paying all of the yearly fees that keep The Villages running, instead of just leaving their houses vacant for 8 months, while paying all of the yearly fees.
I took that comment to mean that full time residents also pass golf carts that are going 20 MPH. Happens to me all the time and at all times of the year. I don't blame that on snow birds only. It is full time residents all year round and snowbirds during the winter months that pass me in my electric cart as I'm motoring along at 19.9 MPH max on flat ground..
Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I took that comment to mean that full time residents also pass golf carts that are going 20 MPH. Happens to me all the time and at all times of the year. I don't blame that on snow birds only. It is full time residents all year round and snowbirds during the winter months that pass me in my electric cart as I'm motoring along at 19.9 MPH max on flat ground..
My electric cart will go no faster than 20mph, no matter how hard I press on the accelerator. There is absolutely no reason to pass me at 1-2mph on the paths or the roads. None whatsoever. It happens all the time. When one does, it is an illegal unregistered motor vehicle. They all deserve hefty tickets and a visit to see the judge. There is a load of cash out there waiting for law enforcement.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
My electric cart will go no faster than 20mph, no matter how hard I press on the accelerator. There is absolutely no reason to pass me at 1-2mph on the paths or the roads. None whatsoever. It happens all the time. When one does, it is an illegal unregistered motor vehicle. They all deserve hefty tickets and a visit to see the judge. There is a load of cash out there waiting for law enforcement.
Do you also pay USE TAX to the State of FL when you buy stuff online that you don't pay sales tax? Do you never exceed 35mph driving on Morse or B.V. ? I guess some folks are just born to be lawbreakers.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.