Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2020, 02:07 PM

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Some laws make more sense than others.

For example, in Kansas, the law states when two trains approach each other, both must stop and NEITHER may start until the other one does
Click your heels together, and say "There's no place like home."
Old 02-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
Golf carts going faster than 20mph is just plain dangerous, there not designed to go fast, steering, suspension, small tires all makes them very unsafe at speeds above 20
I'm not sure that's true. I think they are built and designed to go faster, which is why they are retro-fitted with a governor to keep them below the speed for which they were designed.

It's not that the cart can't take the speed, it's that the law requires the cart not go as fast as it's designed to go. At least, that's how I understand it.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:58 PM

golf carts should never of been allowed on public streets ...... there a danger
Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,076 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I'm not sure that's true. I think they are built and designed to go faster, which is why they are retro-fitted with a governor to keep them below the speed for which they were designed.

It's not that the cart can't take the speed, it's that the law requires the cart not go as fast as it's designed to go. At least, that's how I understand it.
If you don't think it's dangerous, try slamming on your brakes going 20 mph, like you may have to do sometime to avoid an accident. I think that will change your mind.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If you don't think it's dangerous, try slamming on your brakes going 20 mph, like you may have to do sometime to avoid an accident. I think that will change your mind.
or come down the golf cart bridge from Spanish Springs into the Paradise rec park area, without slowing down for the tree at the bend. At 20mph? No way. You will either hit the tree and catapult into the dog park lot, or you will tip over right after the tree and be crushed by your cart.

Golf carts are not designed to go past 15mph. They can tip more easily than cars, and most don't have doors to protect the driver. Even with seatbelts, there is risk. A good driver can easily go 18-20 but the vehicle isn't designed for it.

My cart can top 20mph, I tested it one day on a straight-away and it got to 21.3 (I have a speedometer). It's too loud at that speed, and I have no "need" to ever go that fast, so I keep it usually around 18mph except at turns and on the golf cart bridge - when I reduce it to around 12-13mph. That thing is scary!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My Toyota Highlander is designed to go really fast, certainly the 70mph speed limit of a Florida Interstate. That doesn't mean I should "slam on the brakes" at 70 mph.

My goodness...there is an element of danger in everything we do...20mph being no exception. 21 or 22 mph not being much different.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
or come down the golf cart bridge from Spanish Springs into the Paradise rec park area, without slowing down for the tree at the bend. At 20mph? No way. You will either hit the tree and catapult into the dog park lot, or you will tip over right after the tree and be crushed by your cart.

Golf carts are not designed to go past 15mph. They can tip more easily than cars, and most don't have doors to protect the driver. Even with seatbelts, there is risk. A good driver can easily go 18-20 but the vehicle isn't designed for it.

My cart can top 20mph, I tested it one day on a straight-away and it got to 21.3 (I have a speedometer). It's too loud at that speed, and I have no "need" to ever go that fast, so I keep it usually around 18mph except at turns and on the golf cart bridge - when I reduce it to around 12-13mph. That thing is scary!
And yet...you lived to tell about it.

The fact that a cart CAN go 22mph, is not the same thing as saying you must go that fast, regardless of what is ahead of you. My Highlander can go 100mph, yet I manage to drive it on curvy roads at 15mph.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
My Toyota Highlander is designed to go really fast, certainly the 70mph speed limit of a Florida Interstate. That doesn't mean I should "slam on the brakes" at 70 mph.
Modern cars are designed to not be able to be flipped over by zigging, zagging, braking, etc.. You literally can't flip your Highlander over unless you are sliding sideways and hit a curb or something. Golf cars, on the other hand, just love to flip over. It's one of their favorite things to do and speed enhances this trait.

Look, our golf cars are designed with standard wheels and standard transmission. Every golf car in the villages has large wheels and high speed modifications to the transmission so it can go 20mph. Clearly we're running these at a higher speed than they were designed for.

Disclaimer, mine goes 22mph and that's how fast I go. I'm sorry for going off topic.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have no beef with what you say. I disagree with those who profess that driving a golf cart sensibly can't include a few mph over 20, regardless of what "the law" says. Frankly, I feel safer in a golf cart on a multi-modal, or on Canal St. going 22 mph than I do in my Highlander, on I-75, in bumper-to-bumper traffic going 75mph.
Arguing that my cart at 22 is "unsafe" because if I slam on the brakes or jerk the wheel viciously sideways at top speed it is likely to end badly is a stupid argument. It makes no more sense than saying I should not drive my car 50mph on a two lane road because if I do, and a truck going the other way crosses the midline, it will end badly.
Peace.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Street legal speed is up to 24.
Not exactly. The law states a LSV (SL GC) CAN'T EXCEED 25 like a regular golf cart is CAN'T EXCEED 20 so 25 for a LSV and 20 for a GC is legal.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 PM

The Deputy Sheriffs may be in plain clothes driving unmarked cars. Also unmarked motorcycles. The radar may look like a pair of binoculars and the Sheriff using it may pretend to be bird watching. The radar also takes a photo. A Deputy Sheriff told me that a straight shot with an accurate reading can be made up to 1/2 mile distance and is acceptable as State evidence. Depending on the judge, you may face a $500.00 fine the first time. There are also other charges that may be applied, as mentioned in a previous post. The judge will wave additional charges pending on when you prove with a certified letter from a court designated technician that your golf cart is altered to have a maximum speed of 19.5 mph. If you get caught again within 5 years or within the term of the judge you appeared before, it is considered as an insult to the judicial system of Florida and then all the charges are reinstated in addition to the ones you just racked up on the second offense. The relatively small fine for the first time offender is basically a "gift". I think under Florida statutes, unregistered vehicle offenses can be a felony count. You do not want to be caught a second time!
There are also harsh fines for driving a golf cart on roads or crossing roads where they are not permitted. That is why you see signs that state "No Golf Carts Beyond This Point".
There are also rules of use that apply to the multi use paths. These are the paths that run parallel to the main roads (like Morse and Buena Vista Blvd.). Because they are available for use by golf carts, bicycles, in-line skaters and general pedestrians those paths are also restricted to prohibit vehicles that can travel faster than 19.5mph. That is why you do not see motorcycles, mini bikes, go carts or mopeds on those paths. I have heard from law enforcement that there are actions that can be taken against people that show disregard to those rules but I have not heard of any instances where they have been enforced.
Now, with the advent of the new Atomic Golf Carts using the paths, and the fact that they can go well over the 19.5 mph limit, we may start seeing those rules enforced.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
No! People modify the carts to go faster and so if they get caught going over 20, it’s a good thing! I wonder if the street legal carts all go faster than 20mph?
You can bet on it. Who going pay for registration and insurance and go 20 MPH down BV or MB? Most can go over 30 mph. I got passed by on on BV going 37 in the right lane. I paced the par car going 39 MPH. To make it even more dangerous it was jacked up one.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:

So, how do you know you’re speedometer accurate? You could of been going 23 or 24. Some shouldn’t be driving anything. I was behind a person that went around the roundabout on MMP and didn’t turn the steering wheel and bounced off the inner curb. Needless to say I stayed way back from that nut after that.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:

So true about the cart. They are designed to carry 2 people and their gear on a golf course at about 10-15 mph. So, when you double that speed (which a lot of people want) and you lift the center of gravity (lifted carts) they can be dangerous. Add to that most of them only have mechanical rear brakes like a 1920's car.

Slow down and be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.