Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
So true about the cart. They are designed to carry 2 people and their gear on a golf course at about 10-15 mph. So, when you double that speed (which a lot of people want) and you lift the center of gravity (lifted carts) they can be dangerous. Add to that most of them only have mechanical rear brakes like a 1920's car.

Slow down and be safe.
I've been here for many years and I've never once have I had an issue with a driver of a golf cart going too fast...never. However, those of you that think 18mph is fast enough because you've personally decided that's as fast as you are comfortable driving do in fact cause a lot of problems. If you look in your rear-view mirror and see a line of 3 or more golf carts - pull over and let them by (and don't come post here thinking that everyone behind you is driving a corvette inspired golf cart).

I may have allowed the 5 extra minutes as some say to accommodate the 20mph speed limit but I didn't allow the 10+ extra minutes to follow behind someone going 18mph and 5mph around a turn that was designed for 15mph. Just because "you" are not comfortable driving a golf cart at 18mph doesn't mean the rest of us aren't comfortable driving a golf cart at 20mph.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:34 AM

Slow down.. is the perfect rule..
Love to see a few officers on Morse when non street legal feel they can pass other golf carts..
Big fines waiting..
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I'm not sure that's true. I think they are built and designed to go faster, which is why they are retro-fitted with a governor to keep them below the speed for which they were designed.

It's not that the cart can't take the speed, it's that the law requires the cart not go as fast as it's designed to go. At least, that's how I understand it.

How do you retro fit a governor ?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The same Sumter County deputy who stopped my wife for speeding on St Charles about a month ago, stopped a golf cart yesterday-my wife was lucky she got a warning, if the golf cart driver isn't as lucky as she was--its going to cost him big $$$

So if your cart can exceed 20 mph, be very careful on St Charles
Got to love these old goats who tinker with their carts governor to go over 20 MPH, then use them as a penile extension to pass folks doing the speed limit.... When they get a ticket the cop ought to have the cart picked up, at the goat owners expense, examined, and if the governor has been tinkered with write the old goat another ticket!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM

Snowbirds should be required to read up on golf cart driving rules. In one day, last Tuesday, I saw a non-street legal golf cart on Buena Vista going around circle and later on, I saw one on Buena Vista turning onto Rt. 466. Both were regular Yamaha gas golf carts.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

To modify the maximum speed on a Yamaha gas cart requires no tools, no retro fitting, a ty-wrap applied in the right spot will make your cart go from 20mph to 25.5 mph. To remove it, takes one second with a knife.

The Villages Florida

BTW, the biggest mistake by new golf cart drivers in the area south of 466A. Are drivers going east on Pinellas and when they reach Morse, rather than turn left and go through the tunnel, they stay on Pinellas and go around the traffic circle in front of the fire station. One of the busiest and most dangerous traffic circles in TV. I've witnessed it a couple of times. Have to get to the Sarasota Driving Range or Walmart, can't take time for the tunnel.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:18 AM

karosta, your right about engine failure, ask any certified mechanic and they will tell you that these little engines are not designed to go over 20, besides bearing failure the valves will get burned and ruin the engine. When you go thru a tunnel and smell the excess exhaust stink chances are the motor is getting ready to let go because they have them souped up
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemsp1 View Post
Got to love these old goats who tinker with their carts governor to go over 20 MPH, then use them as a penile extension to pass folks doing the speed limit.... When they get a ticket the cop ought to have the cart picked up, at the goat owners expense, examined, and if the governor has been tinkered with write the old goat another ticket!

Extra Ticket for what ? Tinkering ?

Thanks officer for my traffic Tinkering Ticket
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcnall View Post
Snowbirds should be required to read up on golf cart driving rules. In one day, last Tuesday, I saw a non-street legal golf cart on Buena Vista going around circle and later on, I saw one on Buena Vista turning onto Rt. 466. Both were regular Yamaha gas golf carts.
The other day I saw one on Rolling Acres going south, just before 466. No plate on back of cart.

kathy
Old 02-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g[B
[/B]enobambino;1716442]karosta, your right about engine failure, ask any certified mechanic and they will tell you that these little engines are not designed to go over 20, besides bearing failure the valves will get burned and ruin the engine. When you go thru a tunnel and smell the excess exhaust stink chances are the motor is getting ready to let go because they have them souped up
Glad you're not my mechanic. Anyone can increase the speed of their golf cart without touching the governor or the motor and without impacting engine performance.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Glad you're not my mechanic. Anyone can increase the speed of their golf cart without touching the governor or the motor and without impacting engine performance.
This explanation aught to be good new lesson in physics
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM

There are quite a few golf carts that will exceed 20MPH, kind of funny that people start obeying laws when laws are enforced.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Hope they pull over more no warnings write tickets
Old 02-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Think about it, if you have an accident do you want to risk your insurance being voided.
The Villages Insurance told me that if you tinker with your golf cart to increase the speed, and you get in an accident,
you are NOT insured. A sobering thought.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemsp1 View Post
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.