Golf Cart Travel

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Default Golf Cart Travel

Hello,

I am not a resident of the villages. I am coming down for a visit the beginning of August. I am interested in the use of golfcarts to get around vs cars. I have a Toyota Prius so the savings in fuel is not an issue. And I don't play golf so that is not an issue either. I do know that golf carts can be uncomfortable vs cars.

So please comment on the advantage of golf carts and how do you use them.

Thank you. Marvinh

Last edited by marvinh; 07-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinh View Post
Hello,

I am not a resident of the villages. I am coming down for a visit the beginning of August. I am interested in the use of golfcarts to get around vs cars. I have a Toyota Prius so the savings in fuel is not an issue. And I don't play golf so that is not an issue either. I do know that golf carts can be uncomfortable for long distances (like Fenney to the main section - 3 miles).

So please comment on the advantage of golf carts and how do you use them.

Thank you. Marvinh
The connection to Fenney will not be complete till next yearish. So car only. If you are not a golfer, carts are a novelty way to get around, to find a easy parking space, but good seats and the quiet tech Yamaha make riding better. Carts are about the experience not the gas expense
Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Can't get from Fenney to the main section.

A cart is a much better way to see the place.......but it depends on the quality of the cart seat.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

We prefer the safety of a car. However, you need to consider weather conditions (heat, occasional cold, rain, etc.), length or ride, comfort of ride. Golf carts can be bumpy ride, and this can be annoying on a long ride. As noted above, the bridge between the Fenney area and anything North of 44 is currently not accessible by golf cart as the golf cart bridge has not been installed yet, possible later this year. Also, not sure how much of the gold cart paths have been completed south of 44. If you go the golf cart route, be sure you get familiar with speed restriction, street legal regulations, and insurance requirements. JMHO.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

My main reason to buy in the Villages was to get and drive a golf cart. As soon as we picked a house we went to pick a golf cart. When we are down there we use the cart for everything unless we need to leave the reservation. It takes us about 25 minutes to get to Spanish Springs, 35 or so to get to Sumter Landing and close to an hour to get to Brownwood. We go everywhere, just to drive. Looking forward to our next trip down to go out and have fun. We do have upgraded seats and I have a gel pad Incase my leg gets tired.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

We have lived in Osceola Hills for three years. Even though we have a nice golf cart garage, we do not have a golf cart and have no plans to buy one. We get around in our cars just fine. Every place we go seems to have plenty of parking, even in the ultra busy season.

Other people seem to love their golf carts. I see a lot of couples joy-riding their golf cart around in the evening, usually with the passenger holding a small dog.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We have lived in Osceola Hills for three years. Even though we have a nice golf cart garage, we do not have a golf cart and have no plans to buy one. We get around in our cars just fine. Every place we go seems to have plenty of parking, even in the ultra busy season.

Other people seem to love their golf carts. I see a lot of couples joy-riding their golf cart around in the evening, usually with the passenger holding a small dog.
Yes! Your response makes sense, especially since I don't golf! Thanks! Marvinh
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

We have two carts, we use them for almost everything. There is nothing like a nice drive and stopping at the ponds and marsh's to watch the wildlife and the sunsets. I keep the windshield on mine down as I enjoy the feel of the air, my wife keeps hers up because she doesn't. There is also tailgating at sunset point for the sunset to join others with wine and snacks. If you enjoy polo they have tailagiting there also, you can go alone or with a group. Carts are part of the social interaction and adds a dimension that you can't find with just a car. Make sure you get the best possible seats and seatbelts and join the fun.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We got rid of 1 of our 2 cars when we moved down here. Our "Golf Cart" takes it's place. NO we DO NOT PLAY GOLF. In about 2.5 years I have close to 15,000 miles on them (we had 2. Sold first got second) We go just about everywhere in The Bubble and also a bit outside but that is another story. Ours is a little different as it has full doors, power windows, air conditioning, heat, back-up camera, 3 point seat belts and XM satellite radio so it's like a car (but feels almost as bad as a reg golf cart). We are just about dead center, about 6.5 miles between both Brownwood and Spanish Springs and 3 miles from LSL Square so we barely ever use our car except when we go on trips out of town. The way they are building out here we will be able to take it to Disney soon.

You never mentioned Fenney in your OP so I will let everyone else tell you that you can't go there from here yet.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have two carts, we use them for almost everything. There is nothing like a nice drive and stopping at the ponds and marsh's to watch the wildlife and the sunsets. I keep the windshield on mine down as I enjoy the feel of the air, my wife keeps hers up because she doesn't. There is also tailgating at sunset point for the sunset to join others with wine and snacks. If you enjoy polo they have tailagiting there also, you can go alone or with a group. Carts are part of the social interaction and adds a dimension that you can't find with just a car. Make sure you get the best possible seats and seatbelts and join the fun.
Good post, sounds like I could have written it, right down to me liking the windshield down and the wife liking it up on her cart. Traveling in a golf cart is simply fun, and the novelty never seems to wear off. And our dog loves to ride in the golf carts. The only time I ever wish I was in a car is at night when it is raining. The rain forces me to put up the windshield and the light reflecting off the wet windshield makes it difficult to see well. I wish there was a way to have a windshield wiper on a two piece windshield that folds down. That could be a good idea for an entrepreneur to invent and patent.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran member

I’ve had great fun at the golf cart scavenger hunts sponsored by the red department. We have a friendly group that also runs one of those a year.

I find it much more enjoyable to get around in a cart. And for a few destinations, using a cart is actually faster.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
. I wish there was a way to have a windshield wiper on a two-piece windshield that folds down. That could be a good idea for an entrepreneur to invent and patent.
Have you tried rain-x I know it works well on a car windshield?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I don't even have a car in TVs! Carts are by far the best way to learn TVs, except the new sections. Relax and ride!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
Have you tried rain-x I know it works well on a car windshield?
Good thought, we also use rain-x on our cars and it works great. Glass windshield versus acrylic on a golf cart. I have been told that rain-x makes a product for acrylic as well as glass, but people don't feel it works as good as the glass product. I am going to add some rain-x for acrylic to my next Amazon order and find out for myself.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good post, sounds like I could have written it, right down to me liking the windshield down and the wife liking it up on her cart. Traveling in a golf cart is simply fun, and the novelty never seems to wear off. And our dog loves to ride in the golf carts. The only time I ever wish I was in a car is at night when it is raining. The rain forces me to put up the windshield and the light reflecting off the wet windshield makes it difficult to see well. I wish there was a way to have a windshield wiper on a two piece windshield that folds down. That could be a good idea for an entrepreneur to invent and patent.

Ditto on...everything.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of writing!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, issue, carts, advantage, marvinh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.