Golf Cart turn signals (blinkers NOT hands signals). Outlaw them completely.

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2021, 07:47 AM

Turn signals ? Do they have them in Florida ?
Old 12-06-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This may look or sound like a troll post but it really isn't meant to be. More like a rant and a safety warning. Having turn signals on golf carts is, in reality is both useless and dangerous.

At this point when I see a golf cart with a turn signal on when (for example) I am pulling out of my street or any street either in my cart or my car and the cart coming towards me has his right signal on the chances of him ACTUALLY taking a right turn is probably 80% which means if I pull out there is a 20% chance he (or she) is going to t-bone me.

I see this time after time. One has to assume the turn signals on the cart are on by mistake and assume the cart is going straight regardless of his signal. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone but even assuming 5% of them are on by mistake it makes it dangerous to assume ANY are actually turning when they are signalling.

What bought this on was today while walkng from Amelia to LSL (down O'Dell then on the Morse MMP to LSL) my wife and I counted FIVE CARTS on the O'Dell and Morse MMP passing by us with forever on turn signals out of probably 15 or 20.

So what good is having a turn signal if you can't trust it? Better that NO CART has one. I mean the number of signals left on for literally miles is amazing. YES, CARS DO IT AS WELL but very rarely do I see a car driving with endless turn signals (although sometimes they turn them on about 1/2 mile before the turn!

At least if NO ONE used them you would HAVE to wait until the cart either turned or passed. Yea, I know it is impossible to retroactively remove them all but everyone may as well not use them as they are totally worthless if they can't be "trusted" 98% of the time.

Hand signals (if you know them) are fine but stop using those useless "blinkers."

Knowing that blinker signals are not trustworthy, simply DO NOT pull out in front of one unless you have plenty of distance to do so. Who cares if you have to wait an additional 20 seconds?

You can’t control what other drivers do. Assume they are not paying attention and YOU will drive defensively!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
This may look or sound like a troll post but it really isn't meant to be. More like a rant and a safety warning. Having turn signals on golf carts is, in reality is both useless and dangerous.

At this point when I see a golf cart with a turn signal on when (for example) I am pulling out of my street or any street either in my cart or my car and the cart coming towards me has his right signal on the chances of him ACTUALLY taking a right turn is probably 80% which means if I pull out there is a 20% chance he (or she) is going to t-bone me.

I see this time after time. One has to assume the turn signals on the cart are on by mistake and assume the cart is going straight regardless of his signal. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone but even assuming 5% of them are on by mistake it makes it dangerous to assume ANY are actually turning when they are signalling.

What bought this on was today while walkng from Amelia to LSL (down O'Dell then on the Morse MMP to LSL) my wife and I counted FIVE CARTS on the O'Dell and Morse MMP passing by us with forever on turn signals out of probably 15 or 20.

So what good is having a turn signal if you can't trust it? Better that NO CART has one. I mean the number of signals left on for literally miles is amazing. YES, CARS DO IT AS WELL but very rarely do I see a car driving with endless turn signals (although sometimes they turn them on about 1/2 mile before the turn!

At least if NO ONE used them you would HAVE to wait until the cart either turned or passed. Yea, I know it is impossible to retroactively remove them all but everyone may as well not use them as they are totally worthless if they can't be "trusted" 98% of the time.

Hand signals (if you know them) are fine but stop using those useless "blinkers."
Your “imperial” science is questionable- plus thank you for telling me what to and how to drive!!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
"You make me feel so fine. You keep me rocking all of the time".
I believe it's sung by UB40 !
Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Default I Wonder...

...if this is a problem for the roadways or the golf courses. I feel more anxious while golfing for some reason.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:14 AM
Default Better yet........

Quote:

If Yamaha made turn signals that automatically went off after the turn was made (like cars/trucks), this would solve 99% of the problem.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:15 AM
Default Golf Cart Signals

I think the newer carts have self-canceling. I also understand that if you pull out in front of a vehicle (because you thought they were turning) you are at fault, not the vehicle with the turn signal on that did not turn. As said above, never proceed into the intersection until the vehicle with the turn signal on has committed to the turn. Otherwise, you will be at fault for the accident. (This is true in Michigan - Maybe Florida is different)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Default ????

Quote:
Self-cancel is great but are meaningless to resolve this issue because if many others never shut them off whether yours does or doesn't won't resolve the general problem.
I'll bet that 99% of the "forever" signals are simply because drivers did not cancel after making a turn. No on turns on the blinker for no reason. Self-canceling turn signals would solve 99% of the issue...........and 1% of automobiles have this issue as well.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I believe it's sung by UB40 !
That's "Red Red Wine"... (but Neil Diamond sang it first...)

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

This happened to me in my car, guy had directional on, I pulled out, he hit me.....He was turning at the NEXT street, not where I was. That was years ago, since then I never trust a directional, I'll wait until they either turn or pass..... same goes for golf carts.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Oh I totally agree with you. They put seat belts in carts now but most golf carts don’t have turn signals that automatically turn off after you turn, so how does TV think this is safe when some people forget to turn their turn signals off after they turn. Then you have the anxious person laying on their horn because you don’t turn when a person has their turning signal on & this person doesn’t turn. Good quote FdFNJ!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:31 AM

I hate it more when people turn without using the turn signals than those who forget that they are not self-canceling.

I have used loaner carts that, like the older carts, don’t have any indicators on the golf to let the driver know that the turn signal is still on. Sometimes, I remembered to turn it off and sometimes I didn’t. A lot of times I had to double check and I had both signals going to be sure they were off.

You should realize that you were driving in an older area of the villages and the carts are not self cancelling or do not have indicators to let the driver know that the signals are on.

Lastly, in the long run, who cares? I’m tired of seeing stuff like this that people think is important when they need to take a “chill pill”. Life is short. Be glad you’re not 6 feet under!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:44 AM

In. many carts turn signals don't make a clicking sound so people forget to turn them off. I myself was guilty of that many times. My friend ordered a part from Amazon that he installed and now I hear a clicking sound to remind me to turn the signals off.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Default Golf Cart Turn Signals

Quote:

Have golf cart signals go off like they do in cars. My cart turns off automatically.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:52 AM

TV Rental carts have no indicators or sound to let you know if you've forgotten the signal.
I've been a resident for 11 years and do appx 3k miles per year in my cart, rented a cart for a weekend and caught myself leaving the signal on.
Closed Thread

Tags
turn, signals, cart, signal, assume

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.