Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Goodness. I don't know what "incapacitating” injuries are other than paralysis, but all good wishes for the guy's recovery, and that of his child.

It's a reminder to all of us to be mindful when driving, walking, bicycling, etc., and not to get behind any steering wheel while impaired.

At this point in life I'm much more concerned about permanent injury than death. Even broken bones can be the start of a cascade of health problems and slow decline into nursing care.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I must be the only person in TV who don't own or want a golf cart. These vehicles are designed to operate on a "Golf Course". Not being driven 25 MPH down Pinellas Place like I see almost daily.
No you are not, we have a golf cart that I use to get to the postal station on Pinellas Place and occasionally Collier. I also prefer the protection a car provides. I have been passed, when my golf cart speedometer indicates I am doing 20 mph, I have been in my car at 30 mph and been PASSED on the right by a golf cart! Over the last couple of weeks I have clocked several carts at 25 to 30 mph. Also, I have have several instances of golfers turning LEFT from the golf cart lane without looking directly in front of my car! I also get to watch the golf cart races from my back yard............
Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
I once did an informal count of carts with seat belts. My wife was driving our cart when we were going to Lake Sumter Landing. I counted every cart we met and kept a separate list of how many had seat belts fastened. There was a whopping 10% of all carts we encountered!
I know it's not scientific but is indicative.
Should be a law requiring seat belts on any cart driving on a road. Our Florida law makers require them in cars yet you can ride in the back of a pickup truck in a lawn chair. Where is the logic with both these issues?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Golf Carts Pose Serious Injury Risk to Kids: Study | Newsmax.com
Old 06-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
No you are not, we have a golf cart that I use to get to the postal station on Pinellas Place and occasionally Collier. I also prefer the protection a car provides. I have been passed, when my golf cart speedometer indicates I am doing 20 mph, I have been in my car at 30 mph and been PASSED on the right by a golf cart! Over the last couple of weeks I have clocked several carts at 25 to 30 mph. Also, I have have several instances of golfers turning LEFT from the golf cart lane without looking directly in front of my car! I also get to watch the golf cart races from my back yard............
I felt the same during my Lifestyle visit. Those carts have bench seats and you slide across in a mild turn. No doubt any impact would launch you out of the cart.

A cart accident seems a likely a death sentence at our age.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
You're not the only one, I like the protection & comfort of a real car
Agreed which is why we have one like this. 3 point seat belts, real DOT approved automotive glass, doors etc.

atomic zipper - Google Search
Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Absolutely true as do swimming pools, Tide Pods, toys with small pieces, bicycles, small pieces of candy, tricycles pieces of ribbon and and and ad infinitum. The items are unsafe because the children need to be properly supervised and properly kept from using them incorrectly or at all. Any parent allowing a (what looks like in the photo) 8 yr old to drive one deserves to go to jail. Sometimes these articles overstate the obvious for clickbait.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Agreed which is why we have one like this. 3 point seat belts, real DOT approved automotive glass, doors etc.

Interesting, who sells,them?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

From the online news Sept. 2016 -

A 77-year-old Villager has died of injuries suffered when his golf cart was hit by a pickup truck Monday morning near The Villages Regional Hospital.

S****** S****** had been at the wheel of a 2016 Atomi golf cart which was traveling eastbound on Bella Cruz Drive at the intersection of U.S. Hwy. 441 at 10:58 a.m., according to an accident report from the Florida Highway Patrol.

His golf cart was struck by a 1998 Dodge Ram pickup driven by Sxxx Pxxxxxx Dxxxxxx, 27, of Leesburg.

S****** was transported to The Villages Regional Hospital where he later died of injuries suffered in the crash.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have have several instances of golfers turning LEFT from the golf cart lane without looking.It seems to be happening more and more, so ya can't blame it on the snowbirds.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

So, three years ago, one person was killed because his GOLF CART was hit by a PICKUP TRUCK, and you're implying that the brand of golf cart is unsafe because of that? Golf carts aren't known to be "safe" vehicles. Atomic carts have safety features that make them "less unsafe" than other carts. Doesn't make them safe, but it does make them less unsafe. It's a precarious distinction I know, but it's a distinction nonetheless. From what I've seen of them up close (a few, not a lot) they remind me in some ways of Smart Cars.

To the person who asked who makes them: They're made by Atomic, and sold by Atomic, of Wildwood Florida.

Regarding seat belts in carts: we will definitely want to have those added to our used cart once we get down there full time, but we're on a budget. Having a cart at all was the bigger priority. We got the best we could afford, and we'll be adding things when we have time and money to pay for the things that it didn't come with. I feel a bit nervous not being strapped in. I'm a cautious driver, never assuming the other guy has a clue and being pro-active with regards to my own safety. But me being a good driver doesn't prevent someone else from doing something stupid. And no matter how good a drive I may be, it would be dangerous to assume I'm not capable of flat out making a mistake. Once. In a lifetime. Maybe
Old 06-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
From the online news Sept. 2016 -

A 77-year-old Villager has died of injuries suffered when his golf cart was hit by a pickup truck Monday morning near The Villages Regional Hospital.

S****** S****** had been at the wheel of a 2016 Atomi golf cart which was traveling eastbound on Bella Cruz Drive at the intersection of U.S. Hwy. 441 at 10:58 a.m., according to an accident report from the Florida Highway Patrol.

His golf cart was struck by a 1998 Dodge Ram pickup driven by Sxxx Pxxxxxx Dxxxxxx, 27, of Leesburg.

S****** was transported to The Villages Regional Hospital where he later died of injuries suffered in the crash.

I saw the end result of this accident before it was cleaned up. Any small vehicle would not have come thru this one as good as the Atomic Cart, IMHO The Pictures I saw in the paper were on the side of the Vehicle that was not hit. All these Golf Cart Incidents and Accidents should serve as a lesson to the rest of us. The side that got hit was Mangled.

Our Older kids can use our cart without the Grandchildren in them without exception to that POPPA made rule. The only one who transports the Grandchildren Is me and Slow Is The Way, Steady Is The Course. Seatbelt on and I hold the Cell Phone of ANY Passenger except The Boss. They have to concentrate and brace themselves for the unknown.

Our drivers in The Villages with all their shortcomings, me included are way better than the ones we are accustomed to where we did live before and they carry guns down here so you best not flip 'em off.

Mistakes and accidents are more likely for anyone when they first drive a Cart, think back to your first day driving your new cart, come on be honest you weren't a natural right off the bat it took a little time.

Hope this gang of unfortunate visitors come out of this with a story and a small scratch.

This kind of stuff is never gonna end. Never Ever.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So, three years ago, one person was killed because his GOLF CART was hit by a PICKUP TRUCK, and you're implying that the brand of golf cart is unsafe because of that? Golf carts aren't known to be "safe" vehicles. Atomic carts have safety features that make them "less unsafe" than other carts. Doesn't make them safe, but it does make them less unsafe. It's a precarious distinction I know, but it's a distinction nonetheless. From what I've seen of them up close (a few, not a lot) they remind me in some ways of Smart Cars.

To the person who asked who makes them: They're made by Atomic, and sold by Atomic, of Wildwood Florida.

Regarding seat belts in carts: we will definitely want to have those added to our used cart once we get down there full time, but we're on a budget. Having a cart at all was the bigger priority. We got the best we could afford, and we'll be adding things when we have time and money to pay for the things that it didn't come with. I feel a bit nervous not being strapped in. I'm a cautious driver, never assuming the other guy has a clue and being pro-active with regards to my own safety. But me being a good driver doesn't prevent someone else from doing something stupid. And no matter how good a drive I may be, it would be dangerous to assume I'm not capable of flat out making a mistake. Once. In a lifetime. Maybe
I was not "implying" anything. If you are trying to read minds.... keep your day job! Please pick a fight with someone else. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I saw the end result of this accident before it was cleaned up. Any small vehicle would not have come thru this one as good as the Atomic Cart, IMHO The Pictures I saw in the paper were on the side of the Vehicle that was not hit. All these Golf Cart Incidents and Accidents should serve as a lesson to the rest of us. The side that got hit was Mangled.

Our Older kids can use our cart without the Grandchildren in them without exception to that POPPA made rule. The only one who transports the Grandchildren Is me and Slow Is The Way, Steady Is The Course. Seatbelt on and I hold the Cell Phone of ANY Passenger except The Boss. They have to concentrate and brace themselves for the unknown.

Our drivers in The Villages with all their shortcomings, me included are way better than the ones we are accustomed to where we did live before and they carry guns down here so you best not flip 'em off.

Mistakes and accidents are more likely for anyone when they first drive a Cart, think back to your first day driving your new cart, come on be honest you weren't a natural right off the bat it took a little time.

Hope this gang of unfortunate visitors come out of this with a story and a small scratch.

This kind of stuff is never gonna end. Never Ever.
I agree! I think they "may" be a little safer..... but not bullet proof. At least I think that I think that..... maybe I should consult a medium!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM

I have both front and rear seat belts. They are attached to a metal bar behind the front seat. I am looking for retractable ones a d found several suppliers on ebay. The cost is about $50 a pair. Very easy to replace with a wrench.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, year, belts--, daughters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.