Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Re: Turn signals
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The big question is: "Do your turn them off?"
Yes, we do turn them off. We do not have the self cancelling signals but they are available.
Interesting to me. Our cart is 2014 and the device that causes the turn signals to blink is quite loud. Seems that the newer Yamahas have a much quieter,"clicker,"
As to turn signals. Like anything else, nothing is perfect. Golf cart or car, I wait long enough for the person signaling the turn to start the turn.
From my departed dad who taught me to drive always assume the other driver is going to do the stupidest possible thing because that is exactly what they are going to do. We all regularly see drivers looking for the right place to cause an accident.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage

I agree that the adults can make the decisions, ignorant as they may be, about the virtues of wearing seat belts. I disagree that they should be able to make that decision for children who are incapable of making safety decisions for themselves. Most of the injuries sustained here are not from head on collisions at 20MPH but by maneuvers that cause ejections, swerving to avoid, hitting curbs, or last minute decision turns. Seat Belts will mitigate those injuries. I personally would prefer to be restrained from ejection than miss my tee time.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Sponsored Links
I wonder
Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Default I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Villages News June 25, 2019

Sledd, the son of John Daniel and Debra Sledd of 750 Rockingham Road, was totally ejected, the report said. He was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center, having suffered “incapacitating” injuries, according to FHP.

The golf cart sustained an estimated $4,500 in damage. It had to be towed from the scene.

The investigator wrote in the report that Sledd had “operated motor vehicle in careless or negligent manner.
Your post is what my wife read to me. I wonder where,"an estimated $4500 in damages," comes from. That tunnel going to Brownwood, we regularly take it. You have, I would not, do not, people walking with no room to get away from carts as well as people on bikes.

"Negligent Manner," a polite way to describe it.

As to a solution, I think the lighting in those tunnels should be reviewed. I'm not certain as to what controls them. Time?
Ambient light? I also, suggest that people who insist on walking through those tunnels wear bright clothes. I regularly see people walking side by side dressed in black.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

I must be the only person in TV who don't own or want a golf cart. These vehicles are designed to operate on a "Golf Course". Not being driven 25 MPH down Pinellas Place like I see almost daily.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage

You're not the only one, I like the protection & comfort of a real car
Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Goodness. I don't know what "incapacitating” injuries are other than paralysis, but all good wishes for the guy's recovery, and that of his child.

It's a reminder to all of us to be mindful when driving, walking, bicycling, etc., and not to get behind any steering wheel while impaired.

At this point in life I'm much more concerned about permanent injury than death. Even broken bones can be the start of a cascade of health problems and slow decline into nursing care.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I must be the only person in TV who don't own or want a golf cart. These vehicles are designed to operate on a "Golf Course". Not being driven 25 MPH down Pinellas Place like I see almost daily.
No you are not, we have a golf cart that I use to get to the postal station on Pinellas Place and occasionally Collier. I also prefer the protection a car provides. I have been passed, when my golf cart speedometer indicates I am doing 20 mph, I have been in my car at 30 mph and been PASSED on the right by a golf cart! Over the last couple of weeks I have clocked several carts at 25 to 30 mph. Also, I have have several instances of golfers turning LEFT from the golf cart lane without looking directly in front of my car! I also get to watch the golf cart races from my back yard............
Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
I once did an informal count of carts with seat belts. My wife was driving our cart when we were going to Lake Sumter Landing. I counted every cart we met and kept a separate list of how many had seat belts fastened. There was a whopping 10% of all carts we encountered!
I know it's not scientific but is indicative.
Should be a law requiring seat belts on any cart driving on a road. Our Florida law makers require them in cars yet you can ride in the back of a pickup truck in a lawn chair. Where is the logic with both these issues?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage

Golf Carts Pose Serious Injury Risk to Kids: Study | Newsmax.com
Old 06-27-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
No you are not, we have a golf cart that I use to get to the postal station on Pinellas Place and occasionally Collier. I also prefer the protection a car provides. I have been passed, when my golf cart speedometer indicates I am doing 20 mph, I have been in my car at 30 mph and been PASSED on the right by a golf cart! Over the last couple of weeks I have clocked several carts at 25 to 30 mph. Also, I have have several instances of golfers turning LEFT from the golf cart lane without looking directly in front of my car! I also get to watch the golf cart races from my back yard............
I felt the same during my Lifestyle visit. Those carts have bench seats and you slide across in a mild turn. No doubt any impact would launch you out of the cart.

A cart accident seems a likely a death sentence at our age.

Tags
cart, golf, year, belts--, daughters