Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Absolutely true as do swimming pools, Tide Pods, toys with small pieces, bicycles, small pieces of candy, tricycles pieces of ribbon and and and ad infinitum. The items are unsafe because the children need to be properly supervised and properly kept from using them incorrectly or at all. Any parent allowing a (what looks like in the photo) 8 yr old to drive one deserves to go to jail. Sometimes these articles overstate the obvious for clickbait.
Absolutely!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,064 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Absolutely true as do swimming pools, Tide Pods, toys with small pieces, bicycles, small pieces of candy, tricycles pieces of ribbon and and and ad infinitum. The items are unsafe because the children need to be properly supervised and properly kept from using them incorrectly or at all. Any parent allowing a (what looks like in the photo) 8 yr old to drive one deserves to go to jail. Sometimes these articles overstate the obvious for clickbait.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Perhaps, an opportunity for all of us to think. Two golf carts, each going at the LEGAL 20 mph speed, it they hit head on it is a 40 mph crash.

Confession-we use our golf cart regularly around the Villages it is set at the LEGAL 20 mph and we are regularly, safe or not, passed by hotshots. We do have seat belts but they are unused. We do use our turn signals-do you?
I’m sorry to contradict you, but if two carts hit each other at 20 mph, it’s 20 mph, not 40 mph. Compare it to this: if a cart hit a stone wall at 20 mph, it’s 20 mph.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I agree! I think they "may" be a little safer..... but not bullet proof. At least I think that I think that..... maybe I should consult a medium!
It would be "rare" to consult a "well done". Probably a missed steak.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I’m sorry to contradict you, but if two carts hit each other at 20 mph, it’s 20 mph, not 40 mph. Compare it to this: if a cart hit a stone wall at 20 mph, it’s 20 mph.
Wrong.....

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

If one is going directly head on at the other one and they are both going at 20 mph towards each other than the impact is the same as if one of them hit a wall at 40 mph.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,505 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
If a cart hit another cart, one was going 20mph and the other wasn'tmoving atall, the impact would be 20mph. If the other cart is also moving 20mph, the total impact is 40mph.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Google is your friend. Please look it up
Steve
Old 06-27-2019, 11:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
It would be "rare" to consult a "well done". Probably a missed steak.
It would be even more "rare" for me to consult a "medium" that I thought was "half-baked".
Old 06-28-2019, 12:25 AM
Sage

You are correct.

I find the easiest way to visualize this is to consider the case of a brick wall and two equal golf carts collide with the wall on opposite sides at 20 MPH. Then consider what happens if the brick wall is removed. Each cart will realize the same deceleration regardless of whether the wall is there or not.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2019, 04:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Although this involves automobiles, the same physics apply...to golf carts.

And here's a layman's explanation...that corroborates the Mythbuster's test.

Head-on collision math

Quote:
Consider two scenarios:

1. Two identical vehicles (same size and mass) travel at the same speed, let's say 50 km/h, in opposite directions, and they collide with each other head-on.
2. One of those vehicles hits a rock wall (which doesn't break nor budge in any significant way) head-on at 50 km/h.

From the point of view of one of the vehicles, which collision is more severe?

Most people would instantly answer that the first collision is more severe because the effective collision speed is 100 km/h, and thus the collision has twice as much force than the second collision, which happens only at 50 km/h.

This answer is wrong, wrong, and utterly wrong

Many people just don't get this one, not even people who should know better. I can't even count how many times I have heard people getting this one wrong.

The most prominent and severe case which I have seen was Jamie Hyneman from the show MythBusters getting this exact problem wrong in their "demolition derby special" episode, where he stated that two trucks travelling at 50 mph each and colliding head-on were subject to a collision force equivalent to hitting a rock wall at 100 mph. Maybe he is not a phycisist, but nevertheless he of all people should know this.

The correct answer is: The two collisions are completely equivalent. From the point of view of one of the vehicles it makes absolutely no difference whether it hits a rock wall at 50 km/h or another identical vehicle which was traveling at the same speed in the opposite direction. The amount of force applied to the vehicle is the same in both situations.

(Ok, in reality there will be some differences because the consistency of a rock wall is very different from a consistency of a vehicle, but this only means that hitting the rock wall will be more severe than hitting the other car, although probably not by a lot.)

I know that no matter how much this is explained, some people just don't get it. They just can't get rid the misconception that the two-vehicle collision must have double the force. There are a few things which might make it easier to accept:

Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,505 Times in 3,104 Posts

The impact *speed* is doubled. If one car sat there unmoving, it would take an hour for the car at 60mph to reach that car while driving 60mph, if the cars started 60 miles away from each other. If each car was moving toward each other at 60mph, the moment of impact would occur at a rate of 120mph - in other words, it'd only take 1/2 hour before the two of them collided.

So the speed of impact is 120mph.

HOWEVER

Because each car takes 50% of the impact to itself, the resulting impact damage is still at the 60mph rate.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Agree, the deceleration of each golf cart going at 20 mph in a head on is only 20 mph. Anyways, not advisable to try it out.
I wonder how safe are golf carts compared to scooters, anyone use both?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage

Most important-- a crash that you could survive @ 30 years of age , will most likely kill you if your are 60 +
Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Not sure why you posted this

Quote:
I suggest you look it up. Two cars, carts each going 20 mph on a head on is the same as a car hitting a wall going 40mph. For a pending impact, you chance of survival is far improved if you can hit something that will move like a bush of a glancing blow.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, year, belts--, daughters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.