Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Golf Carts Are Not Toys

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1145 View Post
That said, when you combine this with their limited power, it seems ridiculous to consider them "street worthy" and allow them to drive in the main driving lanes rather than just cart/bike paths. Allowing them on roads like Morse or Buena Vista Blvds is just an accident waiting to happen...and we all know who is going to lose when it does.
There are no carts on Buena Vista anywhere unless they are street legal. The only carts in main driving lanes are carts that have been deemed street legal by FDOT. I do agree though that an MMP needs to be built along Morse Blvd north of 466 and on Rio Grande..

Golf Cart Seat Belts
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Golf Cart Seat Belts

Almost 3 years next month a reckless neighbor nearly killed me. He hit the gas upon leaving a recreation center making a sharp left hand turn before he gave me a chance to "Belt up". He then turned the Victim into the Villon to hide his guilt and my wife and I are disrespected on our street, many times not invited to his neighbors friends driveway parties on my street. Talk about Neighbor wars, Geez..With that seat belt on I could have avoided the physical damage sustained. Be careful your life can change in a "Blink of an eye". That is ok, I am so much better now, we still love our street and don't intend on ever moving...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1145 View Post
I am not a permanent resident of The Villages, but a frequent renter and golf cart driver. I don't have a problem with safety belts in golf carts, but don't kid yourselves on the amount of protection they provide. As mentioned in previous comments, golf carts lack most of the safety devices and innovations in today's automobiles...basically they are at less than 1960's safety technology! That said, when you combine this with their limited power, it seems ridiculous to consider them "street worthy" and allow them to drive in the main driving lanes rather than just cart/bike paths. Allowing them on roads like Morse or Buena Vista Blvds is just an accident waiting to happen...and we all know who is going to lose when it does.

"Golf Carts" aren't allowed on Morse or B.V. unless they are street legal (licensed, registered AND insured) and approved and inspected by FLDOT. You see hundreds, maybe thousands of times more BICYCLES on those roads than golf carts. They need NO inspection and have NO protective safety features and do NOT need to be insured. The riders don't even need to wear helmets. Many of those bicycles can keep up in speed with street-legal golf carts which can go 25mph. Why not worry about bicyclists? There are a lot more of them.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Golf carts ARE allowed on Morse Boulevard, in certain areas. There's even a section of road lined specifically for the purpose.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
"Golf Carts" aren't allowed on Morse or B.V. unless they are street legal (licensed, registered AND insured) and approved and inspected by FLDOT. You see hundreds, maybe thousands of times more BICYCLES on those roads than golf carts. They need NO inspection and have NO protective safety features and do NOT need to be insured. The riders don't even need to wear helmets. Many of those bicycles can keep up in speed with street-legal golf carts which can go 25mph. Why not worry about bicyclists? There are a lot more of them.
I believe you are refering to El Camino and B.V. Golf carts are allowed on Morse from 27/441 to 466. The remainder of Morse has a MMP running along side.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgent View Post
Almost 3 years next month a reckless neighbor nearly killed me. He hit the gas upon leaving a recreation center making a sharp left hand turn before he gave me a chance to "Belt up". He then turned the Victim into the Villon to hide his guilt and my wife and I are disrespected on our street, many times not invited to his neighbors friends driveway parties on my street. Talk about Neighbor wars, Geez..With that seat belt on I could have avoided the physical damage sustained. Be careful your life can change in a "Blink of an eye". That is ok, I am so much better now, we still love our street and don't intend on ever moving...
I sure hope you called Dan Newlin.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Golf carts ARE allowed on Morse Boulevard, in certain areas. There's even a section of road lined specifically for the purpose.
Obviously the guy I was replying to was referring to "on the streets" "MAIN DRIVING LANES" STREET LEGAL which was why he mentioned Morse AND B.V. which obviously what I was referencing in my reply but thanks for keeping me honest.

Oh, his quote was: ...... that said, when you combine this with their limited power, it seems ridiculous to consider them "street worthy" and allow them to drive in the main driving lanes rather than just cart/bike paths.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-11-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I believe you are refering to El Camino and B.V. Golf carts are allowed on Morse from 27/441 to 466. The remainder of Morse has a MMP running along side.
No, I was referring to MORSE and B.V. "ON THE MAIN DRIVING LANES RATHER THAN JUST CART/BIKE PATHS" as the poster I replied to stated. Very well aware of all the roads and paths after over 15,000 "golf cart/(LSV)" miles in the last 2.5 years, but please read message before this as well as the message I originally replied to so you will have a full understanding of what I replied to and the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Sage

Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 PM

We’re here for a Lifestyle visit. I’ve enjoyed tooling around in the golf cart, but can certainly see where they can be dangerous.
The Yamaha we have has no side restraints. I’ve seen others with fold down arms which seem like a good feature. At the tunnels, there are very sharp turns at the bottom of hills. I could easily see people skidding when braking if the roads are wet - which I did. The tunnels seem dark during the day. I don’t understand why they aren’t lit all the time; maybe it’s not really a problem. Driving one certainly seems to require quick reflexes & judgement of speed & corners - things that deteriorate with age & alcohol. Finally, at a few of the community gates I missed cars on the other side of the center island.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 07-12-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Tags
cart, golf, year, belts--, daughters