Golf carts Passing

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Default Speed

Some of us just like speed.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 AM

Because in many places the golf cart lanes are forced to merge with regular auto traffic, being able to go over 20 for a short distance is invaluable.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 AM

I'm more concerned with the nutball yard guys, UPS and Fed-ex racing around corners on 2 wheels through the neighborhoods, while folks are strolling or walking their dogs. If I was a Sumter or Lake deputy, I'd have a field day ticketing these clowns. The Villages apparently decided more houses per neighborhood was more important than sidewalks. God forbid that the Morse Family should sacrifice a bit of profit for sensible safety. Wait until someone's grandchild gets hit!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM

I’m MUCH more concerned about 50+ MPH on BV and Morse than carts. It’s time for Sumter County to get serious about patrols.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Default Passing a Cart

I have a speedometer in my golf cart that I have tested so I know it is accurate. I'll typically drive between 21 and 22 mph. Carts frequently pass me and occasionally I'll speed up to check their speed before I slow back down. Carts frequently are going 25 mph and faster. The police periodically will enforce the 20 mph law. When they catch these speeders, they will be charged with driving an unregistered vehicle. In Sumter County, they will have to appear before a judge, attend driver school and get points on their license which will affect their car insurance. Also, they will have to pay about $250 for the incident plus another $25+ to show they had their speed governor adjusted by a technician to lower their high speed to 20 mph. Does it make sense to speed and pass carts going at roughly 20 mph - NO. If the cart is going slower ans it's a safe passing zone - NO PROBLEM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

I find it hard to comprehend the idiotic comments on Golf Carts. In my 18 years here in the Villages, i have seen deaths caused by Golf Carts, they disintegrate at 5 mph, and occupants have no protection. So many idiots break the law’s speed limits, because they think Carts are like a Carnival fun bumper cars. So many convicted criminals with no Drivers License, and Senior Citizens that cant drive because they are blind and or deaf, driving Golf Carts, on our roads, public and private. And these ignorant ones that think its fun, shame on you.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy n Ron View Post
I'm more concerned with the nutball yard guys, UPS and Fed-ex racing around corners on 2 wheels through the neighborhoods, while folks are strolling or walking their dogs.
If you are truly concerned about that, then move to Fenney.

Fenney and the other neighborhoods south of 44 have miles and miles of walking trails where no motorized vehicles are allowed.

We live in Osceola Hills but we never walk in our neighborhood. If w want to go for a nice walk, we drive a few miles to Marsh Bend or Linden.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Speeding in golf carts, as well as cars, is a problem in the villages
Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 AM

If 3 cars need to passed it means the lead car is pacing everyone. Passing 1 cart no problem, passing 3 carts keep your head up. Usually not a good idea.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
There are numerous carts that go faster than 20mph.
Ya think?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Failure to STOP at stop signs is a HUGE problem. I wish it was addressed by the sheriff's office. So bad - that the other day - my husband stopped after the gate at the stop sign and another driver harassed him for stopping. Unbelievable!!! Look Left - right LEFT after stopping would save many accidents. Most people don't even look. And that BRIDGE going over Sumter - why can't you drive the 10mph posted speed limit - that is so narrow and dangerous. I have been passed - and harassed. Why be in a hurry - this place is gorgeous. Enjoy the lifestyle - BREATHE!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Default State Statutes - For Real

Here's the actual State of Florida Statutes, for those who wanna know:
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

I don't think it is limited to that area. Terrible on the cart path from Laurel M. area to Sumter landing. So dangerous, many near bad accidents. Some will take any chance to "floor it" at much higher speeds than posted; EVEN where the trail splits they will try to "make it" before the split. What I can't understand, my cart was tested at dealer, was actually at 20.5. When I told dealer in Jan. that I HAD to do something to increase speed as I was having people whizzing past constantly when I was going top speed, 3 dealers told me they are not "allowed by law" (?) to do anything to increase speed (law ? or law suits I was thinking ?), I began to wonder, do that many residents actually know how to make their carts run so fast by working on them ??? One out ran my auto which was going 26 mph on Belvidere just two days ago !)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Looks like people who read my post, didn't bother reading ALL of my post, OR the post I posted after that telling the person who said I was wrong, was right. Basic math coming up - sets and subsets.

IF (the set of people who wish to drive as fast as the max legal limit of a non-street-legal golf cart)

occurs when (the set of people who drive several MPH under the max legal limit of a non-street-legal golf cart)

THEN

(the set of people who drive several MPH under the max legal limit of a non-street-legal golf cart) might be courteous and slow down even more,
AND drive far to the right

SUCH THAT

(the set of people who wish to drive up to the max speed limit for non-street-legal golf carts) can pass them safely and legally

WHEN IT IS LEGAL TO DO SO

I think I've covered pretty much everything now.

Yep! It’s time to enjoy, your not in the Rat Race anymore. Slow down, move over for those who are still on track to higher blood pressure meds.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennbf View Post
what it wrong with us? We work hard for many years finally retire and move to the villages and it starts: You drive as fast as you can in the golf carts, you push your way through the grocery store, you push in line at the movies, get drunk at the squares and miss the fun of the night,gripe about that lousy shopper that is walking too slow, drive your cars like this is a long race way and we have to beat the other guy, you can finish the rest. Oh yea, end up at the cardiologist and claim you don't know why your heart is racing? Please slow down and begin to enjoy the years you worked so hard for. You sit in a restaurant and gripe about the slow service as though you have somewhere to go. You sit at a table and watch
a diner near by and their leg is shaking a mile a minute. That is a good indication of "anxiety" and sad to watch. It is a hard job to adjust your life to enjoy the times as opposed to rushing everywhere. Just say to your self to "slowdown" and give the server a break. You will feel so much better.
Very well said.

I cannot understand the impatience and hurry everyone is in. Slow down & enjoy the time you have left.

Tags
golf, passing, carts, mph-have, bailey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.