Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf carts Passing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-carts-passing-291303/)

Laker14 05-23-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quixote (Post 1651538)
However, to register it is not so simple. If it is a 'low speed vehicle' rather than a 'golf cart,' then besides registration it requires seat belts, insurance, and I can't remember what else. A few years ago I remember speed traps for golf carts; speeding in a golf cart resulted in FIVE tickets, each of which was $250+. I laugh my head off when I see or hear these stories. The golf cart speed limit is 20 MPH. Period.

do you remember if they were writing 5 tickets for $250+ each if the cart was just going a smidge over 19.9mph? If so they must have had a very busy and productive day. So busy and so productive, in fact, that I'd find it very surprising they didn't do it every day. They could repave Buena Vista BLVD every year with the money they'd collect.

karostay 05-23-2019 07:20 AM

Just yesterday i emerged from the tunnel under 466A heading to Brownwood and an A.....Hole flew around me almost taking out 2 carts in the oncoming traffic
Yes I did use the A..Hole word

BobnBev 05-23-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1651861)
Just yesterday i emerged from the tunnel under 466A heading to Brownwood and an A.....Hole flew around me almost taking out 2 carts in the oncoming traffic

Another reason for identifying markings or license plates on golf carts.....flame suit on. :popcorn::boxing2::popcorn::boom:

bagboy 05-23-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 1651809)
There are NO CARTS ALLOWED on 466 or 466A.

OK OK OK, calm down. :Screen_of_Death:
I said no such thing.

Bay Kid 05-24-2019 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1651326)
Welcome to TOTV. :welcome:

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1651861)

Those darn snowbirds won't leave.

graciegirl 05-24-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1651872)
Another reason for identifying markings or license plates on golf carts.....flame suit on. :popcorn::boxing2::popcorn::boom:

I understand your wish. It is very understandable....BUT

The problem is this; with anything that requires that much paperwork and manpower and oversight, there is bound to be a substantial increase in cost and substantial difficulty in keeping track as thousands of golf carts change hands and some even get stolen. Is it worth the effort in the end? I have a huge amount of skepticism about that.

wfp113 05-24-2019 08:08 AM

Golf cart speeding in the Villages is becoming increasingly worse every day. Just to give an example of the need for a crack down I recently saw a yesteryear cart for sale advertising speed of 45mph+. My cart is set at 22 and every day many carts pass me going a lot faster than 25mph.
Just an opinion.
Bill

biker1 05-24-2019 08:13 AM

This may require some legislative action. If so, I don’t see it happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1651872)

Fuzz323 05-25-2019 10:38 AM

Lets face it - there are some folks driving (golf carts and cars) that are half asleep at the wheel. The speed limit is 20 MPH so if you are watching the scenery at 15 mph what is the problem if you are passed by somebody doing the speed limit? Perhaps they are in route to an appointment either with a Doctor or a cold pitcher of tea or any number of reasons. Lighten up - we are all in this together.

I will note that there are some really self righteous comments here - I would bet some of these drivers have NEVER ever exceeded a speed limit - its truly a wonderful thing to be that good. He said with tongue firmly planted in cheek......

EdFNJ 05-25-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz323 (Post 1652340)
Lets face it - there are some folks driving (golf carts and cars) that are half asleep at the wheel. The speed limit is 20 MPH so if you are watching the scenery at 15 mph what is the problem if you are passed by somebody doing the speed limit? Perhaps they are in route to an appointment either with a Doctor or a cold pitcher of tea or any number of reasons. Lighten up - we are all in this together.

I will note that there are some really self righteous comments here - I would bet some of these drivers have NEVER ever exceeded a speed limit - its truly a wonderful thing to be that good. He said with tongue firmly planted in cheek......

Yep and no one seems to complain about the drivers doing 55 mph on Morse or 466A or 50 on local 25/35mph roads. They are probably the same folks complaining about GC's going 22. :D I was behind a guy going 13mph (according to my speedometer) on the Morse Path today. I'm glad he was enjoying the scenery but I've seen it 30000 times and had to take a picked wiss (that's Boston talk).

Velvet 05-25-2019 10:51 PM

Or he had a Lifestyle cart set at 12mph?

New Englander 05-26-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1652509)
Or he had a Lifestyle cart set at 12mph?

That's a good speed for a golf cart.

MorTech 05-26-2019 05:35 PM

You have varying top speeds set typically at 19.5-23 MPH and some set their own carts to 27 MPH (those people are not the problem). Since gas golf carts have near zero throttle linearity, the accelerator pedal is basically just an on / off switch. See the problem? Just have to live with it.

BobnBev 05-26-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorTech (Post 1652716)
You have varying top speeds set typically at 19.5-23 MPH and some set their own carts to 27 MPH (those people are not the problem). Since gas golf carts have near zero throttle linearity, the accelerator pedal is basically just an on / off switch. See the problem? Just have to live with it.

This post made no sense to me.:ohdear::ohdear:

Marathon Man 05-26-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorTech (Post 1652716)

Uh. Not mine.