Golf carts Passing

Golf carts Passing

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Uh. Yea. I think maybe that was the suggestion.
The suggestion is that people who want to relax and enjoy and never feel a need to get from point A to point B at any particular time since they're retired - not feel entitled to whine about people who actually have places to go, and deadlines to meet. Because, as I said, this is NOT a "retirement" community. It's a 55+ community, and many people still work, and need to get to work on time, and give themselves enough time to get to work - UNTIL someone decides they want to go only 10mph because they're retired and not in a hurry with no place to go.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Most everybody passes me because I drive a golf cart 15 MPH. When somebody goes to pass I slow down more so they can pass quicker. I'm retired and not in a hurry. IMO golf carts are not made to handle the speeds some people drive them.
This is the courteous thing to do. It's what I do when I'm just enjoying a relaxing golf cart ride, or if I think I took a wrong turn and need to get my bearings before going back up to the normal 18-19mph speed.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
However, to register it is not so simple. If it is a 'low speed vehicle' rather than a 'golf cart,' then besides registration it requires seat belts, insurance, and I can't remember what else. A few years ago I remember speed traps for golf carts; speeding in a golf cart resulted in FIVE tickets, each of which was $250+. I laugh my head off when I see or hear these stories. The golf cart speed limit is 20 MPH. Period.
It's not difficult at all, just relatively expensive. If it is a model already on the state's "approved list" you just walk into any agency and register it like a car. If it is not (like mine) it needs to be trucked up to Ocala for inspection (by appointment). They look at it while it is on the flatbed and make sure it has DOT front windshield glass and tires, a few reflectors, side view mirrors, seat belts, turn signals, and a few other things and they OK it. It seems it takes like 5 minutes once it is there.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 AM

Another thing. It is unlawful to cross over the solid line on a diamond trail. Butttttt, how many people have crossed over the solid line to pass a bicycle going 5 MPH?
If you have, YOU just broke the law. If you don't pass them, there would be a mile long backup of golf carts.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM

I don’t mind folks driving 15mph. Heck, when I get off a sport court and am in no hurry I might tootle along at 15mph. I have no problem with folks driving whatever speed they feel comfortable driving. I just make sure I’m not in their way. Just because I’m in no hurry doesn’t mean that guy coming up behind me isn’t rushing to help a fallen friend or has an important appointment or class or tee time. I just pull over and let them by.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Another thing. It is unlawful to cross over the solid line on a diamond trail. Butttttt, how many people have crossed over the solid line to pass a bicycle going 5 MPH?
If you have, YOU just broke the law. If you don't pass them, there would be a mile long backup of golf carts.
Maybe the law has changed, or that wasn't the law in the first place. On 466A, driving west and turning right into Trailwinds, you have no choice but to cross a solid white line.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I'm curious. Please state the Florida statute regarding this? I can't find it and every local LEO I've asked told me other wise. I've been here years and passed many even in front of an LEO.You may leave the cart lane to position to make a left hand turn or in a safe manner, with assured distance, and not passing over the 20 MPH pass another golf cart or bicycle. That's the problem with these forums. Wrong information keeps popping up.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I don’t mind folks driving 15mph. Heck, when I get off a sport court and am in no hurry I might tootle along at 15mph. I have no problem with folks driving whatever speed they feel comfortable driving. I just make sure I’m not in their way. Just because I’m in no hurry doesn’t mean that guy coming up behind me isn’t rushing to help a fallen friend or has an important appointment or class or tee time. I just pull over and let them by.
Excellent post, summarizes courtesy and respect of both sides of the situation!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Maybe the law has changed, or that wasn't the law in the first place. On 466A, driving west and turning right into Trailwinds, you have no choice but to cross a solid white line.
LOL, I think he is referring to a GOLF CART not a car. Aside from that I doubt that is a violation. I think all "laws" (if that is indeed a law somewhere) have legit circumstances for logically violating them that wouldn't get you ticketed..
Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
There are NO CARTS ALLOWED on 466 or 466A.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, passing, carts, mph-have, bailey