Golf carts Passing

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
thats my answer as well......
I'm with you on this. No matter how fast my golf cart goes (uphill, downhill or otherwise) if I'm clearly holding someone up and I'm not in a long line of carts I try to be respectful and let them pass when it's safe to do so.

Most of the "passing" that I see though involves a cart doing well under 20mph and whether someone's cart is going 19.5mph or 23.5mph is just not anything I am going to worry about.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Mine does a flat 20 on a level road, downhill, 27 tops, but I don't let it go that fast.

What downhill are you speaking of.....the bridge that crosses 441? I'm lucky if I can get our cart to 22mph on a down hill in the streets.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post

Most of the "passing" that I see though involves a cart doing well under 20mph and whether someone's cart is going 19.5mph or 23.5mph is just not anything I am going to worry about.
I can speak from experience as our cart has a speedometer. I've had carts pass me as I was traveling 19.9 mph and go so fast your head will spin. I think they are showing off, actually and I just laugh to myself.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What downhill are you speaking of.....the bridge that crosses 441? I'm lucky if I can get our cart to 22mph on a down hill in the streets.
Any of the hills on Stillwater, O'Dell circle or their side roads. As a side note, the Villages golf car repair shop set the governor to 22mph. Said they did that to help keep up the speed going uphill.
The governor is supposed to hold you back going downhill, but mine doesn't. I'll have to bring that to their attention at my next service.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Interesting story. I think most folks assume that they'd be treated similarly to the way they'd be treated in an automobile, for going " a few" mph over the speed limit. Certainly, nobody would expect to have to go through what this person went through if they were exceeding a posted speed limit by 1mph in a car.

I bought a cart this past winter, my first, and it was set so that I couldn't hit 20 downhill, with a tailwind. It is hard to accept that when 95% of the other carts are whizzing by you at somewhere between 22 and 25. You figure, "go with the flow".
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Interesting story. I think most folks assume that they'd be treated similarly to the way they'd be treated in an automobile, for going " a few" mph over the speed limit. Certainly, nobody would expect to have to go through what this person went through if they were exceeding a posted speed limit by 1mph in a car.
He wasn't ticketed for speeding he was ticketed for driving an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle because his cart was CAPABLE OF EXCEEDING 20mph (and he was) and was no longer considered a golf cart but an LSV. If he was driving 15mph and for whatever other reason a cop stopped him and they found his cart was capable of exceeding 20mph he could face the same violation. He was driving the equivalent of an unregistered car. He was likely driving a lot faster than 1mph over the limit to have been stopped. What he was probably thinking (but didn't say in court) was "geez, 90% of the carts here in T.V. are capable of exceeding 20mph, how come I was the lucky one to get nabbed."
Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
He wasn't ticketed for speeding he was ticketed for driving an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle because his cart was CAPABLE OF EXCEEDING 20mph (and he was) and was no longer considered a golf cart but an LSV. If he was driving 15mph and for whatever other reason a cop stopped him and they found his cart was capable of exceeding 20mph he could face the same violation. He was driving the equivalent of an unregistered car. He was likely driving a lot faster than 1mph over the limit to have been stopped. What he was probably thinking (but didn't say in court) was "geez, 90% of the carts here in T.V. are capable of exceeding 20mph, how come I was the lucky one to get nabbed."

Probably knocking on the door to 100%. Down hill, pretty much everyone can exceed 20mph.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
yes, but what got him stopped in the first place was getting clocked at a whisker over 20mph. My point still holds. Nobody would expect to get noticed by going a smidge over the speed limit.
Do you think this guy just got stopped on a whim by the police officer, or do you think he got stopped because he got clocked at 20.1mph?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran member

If you get in a golf cart accident (even if it is not your fault), the police will likely check to see if your governor has been tampered with. If it is set too high, you may get the "$500 experience" of owning an unregistered motor vehicle. Doesn't matter if you were
going the speed limit or not.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
yes, but what got him stopped in the first place was getting clocked at a whisker over 20mph. My point still holds. Nobody would expect to get noticed by going a smidge over the speed limit.
Do you think this guy just got stopped on a whim by the police officer, or do you think he got stopped because he got clocked at 20.1mph?
Neither is correct. What I said was that it was highly unlikely he was going "a smidge over 20mph." NOWHERE in the article did he state he was "going a smidge over 20mph." In fact what he did state was: "I thought WHAT! – Morse Blvd. has a speed limit of 30mph – I was not going any speed close to the limit....." and "My plea was “No Contest” because I had no idea I was creating a criminal offense by driving the golf cart in excess of 20 mph." and "Next time I want to go “speeding” in a golf cart, I’ll be bringing my trusty technology from Remotecarstarterhero.com. Eat that radars."

That comment about the website also seems like an advertisement as well which could slightly taint the whole story. The article which I read about 2 1/2 years ago in the book it came from is def true in it's fact about the law and consequences and was one of the reasons I decided to go "street legal" however I do take the actual story with a couple grains of salt due to the plug at the end. The author of that book does have some ulterior plug and selling motives if you read his book (which was very informative pre-purchase) and get his newsletter.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Probably knocking on the door to 100%. Down hill, pretty much everyone can exceed 20mph.
True, but I meant on a level straightaway.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile What the heck is wrong with us

What it wrong with us? We work hard for many years finally retire and move to The Villages and it starts: You drive as fast as you can in the Golf Carts, you push your way through the Grocery Store, you push in line at the movies, get drunk at the Squares and miss the fun of the night,gripe about that lousy shopper that is walking too slow, drive your cars like this is a long race way and we have to beat the other guy, you can finish the rest. OH Yea, end up at the cardiologist and claim you don't know why your heart is racing? Please slow down and begin to enjoy the years you worked so hard for. You sit in a restaurant and gripe about the slow service as though you have somewhere to go. You sit at a table and watch
a diner near by and their leg is shaking a mile a minute. That is a good indication of "anxiety" and sad to watch. It is a hard job to adjust your life to enjoy the times as opposed to rushing everywhere. Just say to your self to "slowdown" and give the server a break. You will feel so much better.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What it wrong with us? We work hard for many years finally retire and move to The Villages and it starts: You drive as fast as you can in the Golf Carts, you push your way through the Grocery Store, you push in line at the movies, get drunk at the Squares and miss the fun of the night,gripe about that lousy shopper that is walking too slow, drive your cars like this is a long race way and we have to beat the other guy, you can finish the rest. OH Yea, end up at the cardiologist and claim you don't know why your heart is racing? Please slow down and begin to enjoy the years you worked so hard for. You sit in a restaurant and gripe about the slow service as though you have somewhere to go. You sit at a table and watch
a diner near by and their leg is shaking a mile a minute. That is a good indication of "anxiety" and sad to watch. It is a hard job to adjust your life to enjoy the times as opposed to rushing everywhere. Just say to your self to "slowdown" and give the server a break. You will feel so much better.
I wondered the same thing in my daily observations of fellow villagers. Walking heart attacks.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Wise and wonderful words.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

The carts are soooo slow back home in Virginia.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, passing, carts, mph-have, bailey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.