A Really Dumb or not so Dumb Question about Cats!

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Default A Really Dumb or not so Dumb Question about Cats!

For cat people; can I ask what you do with the litter boxes!!!

I have what I refer to as a litter room in my present home. It's in the basement and hubby put in a little archway door for the cats to come and go. I don't smell or see litter boxes.

What do I do in TV home!!! I'm having nightmares about this. Putting boxes in the garage doesn't make sense because of odor control and the fact the cats can run out when door is open/closed. Putting the boxes in the living area makes me squirm!

Although I am a neat freak and keep the boxes clean; I just don't want them in our living space.

Anyone with cats do something creative with the litter boxes.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: A Really Dumb or not so Dumb Question about Cats!

nanci2539:
I'm afraid you'll have to put your litter boxes in the house. My almost-15 cat has his choice of two: one in the laundry room, near the garage door; the other under the unused "dressing" counter in the master bath (that is, a lowered counter where my late wife would have put a stool so she could sit to do her make-up thing; because she passed away over seven years ago, long before I'd even heard of TV, this counter is "unused").
Granted, both places are "living area," but with a daily scoop out, I've never noticed any particular odor. The scooped stuff goes in to a covered trash basket, which could, I suppose, go into the garage!
The Cat adores the screened lanai and has virtually permanent access to it. I suppose you could consider this as a site for a litter box, but when you go away and shut the door(s) to the lanai, then what?
Hope you work it out to the cat's satisfaction. After all, among cat people, the cat is all important! ;D
Steve
Old 08-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for answering Steve - I noticed that TV is more of a dog community so I appreciate your response.

I have thought about this until my brain gets sore! I was even thinking of putting a cat door thru the back door into the garage and then sectioning off that part for the litter boxes. And then put in a door for my access to clean the boxes! Sort of like a little out house!

We are spoiled having boxes in the basement away from our family room and living areas.

I hope others see this post and give me other ideas!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:01 PM

From a dog lover who has cats...

We have used a panel in our sliders that has a cat/dog door in it - can be blocked, locked, etc.,
and does not interfere with the sliders - then the litter box can go on the lanai, or patio, bird cage, etc.

Works great for us - and our cats! Hope this helps!
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

We do not have a cat at this time. But when we lived in Tampa, we had a home similar to the courtyard homes here and had 2 cats. We never used a litter box. We had a pet door installed and they always went outside. Because of the walls, the cats could not leave the property.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM

The answer is quite simple...for us.
We keep the litter box in the 'laundry room' just inside the garage door leading to the house. It's a covered box, and with an air freshener sitting on top, no one ever knows it's there.
Of course we keep it kleen, because if I ever get a whiff of cat do-do, the cat's history. Nothing like going into someone's home, and instantly you think you're in a Ken-L.
Last bit of advice: starve the kitty.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

I think the litter box on the Lanai is a great idea. That way you would not have the odor in the house. My friend has a three bedroom courtyard with an inside laundry room and she keeps her litter box in there. Even though the villa has walls, a bright cat might find a way to crawl under the plastic gate we have on one side of our lot so I wouldn't want to have it roaming out in the yard. Just my opinion. Plus, in the courtyard villas, if the fence between villas isn't close to the ground, you could have a sneaking out situation.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that we have 2 cats that were use to going outside when we lived in S. FL. We were concerned about how they would react to not being allowed out, and how the cat box thing would work. Well, we put it on the lanai and had a cat door installed. We have a Florida room, so we also have a regular back door, but they do make them for sliders. The cats love their new home. They have no desire to go outside. They love to sit on the lanai or the front porch and just soak up the sun. If they make a mess, it is no problem because it is not "in" the house. We originally thought about buying a villa because of the cats, but realized that the cats could climb the walls if they wanted to. So, we got a ranch with the Fl. room and all is well!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Send a message via AIM to BethS Send a message via Yahoo to BethS

I have two cats and was really concerned with that same issue. I live in a manufactured home north of 441 so my place is smaller than some. I have two litter boxes, one in my sun room, under a desk with a kitchen curtain on a curtain rod that covers the opening, that works great, the other is in my lanai, I have a doggie door, bought a small open sided table and made a curtain to go all around the sides of it, that is where the other one is. It works out well for us and they love having the morning sun in the sun room and the evening sun in the lanai. Hope this helps!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:17 PM

It is so nice hearing from "cat people". I just moved here with two cats and my one is having a terrible time adjusting. My older cat is scared of the ceiling fans, but otherwise is doing okay. My younger one is so depressed. He used to love our sunroom in PA where he would watch the squirrels, birds and chipmunks. Here there is nothing to watch and he is so bored. He has ventured out into the lanai, but runs back in and spends most of his time under the bed. Only after midnight does he pace around, crying. Thank goodness I have not had a problem with the litter boxes. I have two boxes in the master bathroom. This way the stray litter or any odor seems to be contained. Of course I am constantly sweeping the floor and I keep the boxes immaculate. The good thing is when you come in the front door or door off garage no one would have any idea there are litter boxes.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM

MSNPA,

Although I do not have a cat now, I have had many in the past. For the one that is having trouble adjusting..Have you thought about putting on a video made esp. for cats that has birds, fish's etc. This is suppose to keep them busy, happy and healthy (or so the advertisement says) It would be great if you could put the TV on your lanai to get them used to that part of the house. I know, it sounds crazy but who knows :dontknow:
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Thank you darbyduff. Just this weekend my cat was captivated by the television. He never watched it in PA, but when we moved here we bought a HDTV large screen. I think if I inserted a tape of birds or squirrels this may help him. I'll give it a try. MSNPA
Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

I have video's for my cats - try this link

http://www.purrfectdvd.com/

It really depends on the cat and their attention span.

We have a 225 gal salt water aquarium and my calico can sit on her tree and watch the fish all day; the others don't even glance at it!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.