Golf Course Litterbugs

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Default Golf Course Litterbugs

As many of you know, the outside staff assigned to care for our golf courses do a lot more than fill divots and fix ball marks on greens. We also pick up trash that is purposely discarded or flies out of golf carts. Some of these items include used masks, used tissues, candy wrappers and, my all-time favorite—-cigarette butts. Every time I find one, I cringe because it has been in someone’s mouth who may be COVID positive. Is it too much to ask that golfers who smoke carry a small plastic ashtray in their carts? I find butts on tee boxes, along the cart paths and even on the greens. Finally, just an FYI, this littering has not increased since the “birdies” arrived. This has been going on for a while now. Let’s be considerate of our fellow golfers and the staff that picks up after you.

Just a reminder that when there are restrictions such as cart path only, we expect you to abide by the rules. This restriction apply to ALL golfers, including those with RA tags! Ambassadors were not hired to be traffic cops. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
As many of you know, the outside staff assigned to care for our golf courses do a lot more than fill divots and fix ball marks on greens. We also pick up trash that is purposely discarded or flies out of golf carts. Some of these items include used masks, used tissues, candy wrappers and, my all-time favorite—-cigarette butts. Every time I find one, I cringe because it has been in someone’s mouth who may be COVID positive. Is it too much to ask that golfers who smoke carry a small plastic ashtray in their carts? I find butts on tee boxes, along the cart paths and even on the greens. Finally, just an FYI, this littering has not increased since the “birdies” arrived. This has been going on for a while now. Let’s be considerate of our fellow golfers and the staff that picks up after you.

Just a reminder that when there are restrictions such as cart path only, we expect you to abide by the rules. This restriction apply to ALL golfers, including those with RA tags! Ambassadors were not hired to be traffic cops. Thanks in advance.

Well at least not fireball whiskey bottles And discarded 12 packs I see along MMP.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:32 PM

Please let me remind you that TV residents own and pay for all upkeep on the exec courses. The attitude of some of the employees that we pay does not seem to reflect the facts.

Btw. I agree with the intent - litter is indeed unnecessary, unsightly, and can ruin a course quickly. Hope everyone heeds the request to help keep the courses and surrounding areas tidy.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Please let me remind you that TV residents own and pay for all upkeep on the exec courses. The attitude of some of the employees that we pay does not seem to reflect the facts.
WOW... Keep in mind those employees are also village residents, and are paying the same as you.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Right on. --- Been here ten years . Over the last two we have noticed a very significant increase in trash on roads and Cart paths . Just sayin !!!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Litter. You are right on about litter. Now that Morse Blvd cut through to 44, lots of non-residents are using it, and dumping their food containers, soda cups etc on the roadway. Wait till 7-11 opens. You will see Big Gulp cups everywhere. When I grew up, we used to sneak a few beers in the parking lot, but we threw our empties in the garbage, not all over the streets. I think the few amounts of trash you see on golf courses are the result of blowing out of carts, except for the cigar and cigarette butts. Disgusting.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 11-16-2020, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post

Btw. I agree with the intent - litter is indeed unnecessary, unsightly, and can ruin a course quickly. Hope everyone heeds the request to help keep the courses and surrounding areas tidy.
Exec courses are district owned, not resident owned. It's not unlike a city park, owned by the city not the residents.

It is my belief that "I'm an owner" and "I pay someone to do that" thinking leads some players to act in a less caring way.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

We've been coming to Central Florida since the mid 90s when my in-laws moved here. Back in the 90s there was never any liter anywhere or it was rare to see it while in our home state there was plenty. We always found that great not see litter on the side of the roads. Fast forward 25 years and it's changed, many seem inconsiderate and think it's someone else's job.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

I believe very few litter with the idea "it's not my job"...I think they're basically lazy and just don't care.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
I believe very few litter with the idea "it's not my job"...I think they're basically lazy and just don't care.
Yep. After all, there is a garbage can on every hole
Old 11-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
WOW... Keep in mind those employees are also village residents, and are paying the same as you.
So, it there choice.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
We've been coming to Central Florida since the mid 90s when my in-laws moved here. Back in the 90s there was never any liter anywhere or it was rare to see it while in our home state there was plenty. We always found that great not see litter on the side of the roads. Fast forward 25 years and it's changed, many seem inconsiderate and think it's someone else's job.
Population explosion.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Exec courses are district owned, not resident owned. It's not unlike a city park, owned by the city not the residents.

It is my belief that "I'm an owner" and "I pay someone to do that" thinking leads some players to act in a less caring way.
Normally those that PAY the bills are the owners. Regardless of the technicalities. Same for city parks.
The “government” has no power or money except what is given to them by the people.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I don't believe it is the residents unless something blows out their carts.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I cannot tell you how grateful I am and I am sure we all are for doing this. Particularly concerning is anything that could carry Covid-19. I hope you wear gloves or use a broom and pan to gather the cigarette butts.

I also do believe it gets worse when the population swells. I also suspect the litterers are the very few who do not have self responsibility drilled into them. On the other hand....I gently remind you what I have heard over the years....That without some difficult and yucky things, many of us would not have had jobs over the years. That is part of the job description. Again. I thank you.

I don't think you are speaking "ex cathedra" or from the owners. They are very careful NOT to remind us of the rules. I think THEY think we are old enough to behave well. And most of us are.

Tags
golf, golfers, greens, carts, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.