Golf courses should be closed?

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 AM

Thought I'd let you know what extra steps we're doing at our Virginia Golf Course.

We raised the cups about 2 inches so the ball won't go in the cup. You hit the cup, it's considered holed. We have no rakes in traps so there is no need to touch a flag or a rake now.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Default Love it!

I love the idea of the cup sitting up and the ball not dropping into the hole!

If I had a dollar for every time I ringed out of the hole, went half over/half out then on by, or stopped at the edge of the cup, I'd be a par golfer and rich!

This should be done ALL the time!

OR, we could just say, that if you come within a foot of the hole - it's IN!

Last edited by runkcrun; 03-23-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How about 25 people packed in a circle near the Starters Shack probably talking about Social Distancing. Unbelievable, Oblivious.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Where's that stated..?
Friend of mine is an ambassador he said he received no notice of that change
Who needs notice ? Don't touch the pin. Ball in bunker, fish out with a club or your ball retriever and drop no closer to the pin. Saw a suggestion that the golf gods raise the hole to ground level, If your putt touches and part or even roles over, call it in. For the near future, the ultimate score does not matter much (no one here is going to qualify for a pro tour). Important thing is to get out and hit the ball and move around. Handicaps can count later. Common sense= very scarce commodity.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
How about 25 people packed in a circle near the Starters Shack probably talking about Social Distancing. Unbelievable, Oblivious.
They're idiots for doing this. You sign in and go back to your cart with your partner and wait your turn. The starters should be making that clear when they sign in which I hope they are doing, but for some instructions go in one ear and out the other.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

If you play a championship course you must go into the club house, pull out a credit card or pay cash after showing your Village ID card which the worker handles then the credit card. You are standing in front of a counter, exposing yourself and the worker. (less than six feet). Also there are usually several others at the counter at the same time. I love golf and play only champ courses. I cancelled out this morning and will not play anymore till this thing shows improvement. If we have four or five more cases in TV I look for all the pro shops to close down. I would not work in one and be exposed to people all day long. You don't know if the person just got off a cruise or just returned from NY. You don't know if their grandkids are visiting and they flew down or drove down from a hot spot. Golf is not essential, life is.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
They're idiots for doing this. You sign in and go back to your cart with your partner and wait your turn. The starters should be making that clear when they sign in which I hope they are doing, but for some instructions go in one ear and out the other.
From what our neighbors have told us there is no need at Hilltop or Silver Lake to touch anything at the Shack. Walk up, give the name and go away and wait your turn. The Starters are communicating properly the receivers aren't receiving very well.

It's almost as if some people are resigned that they will catch this virus or just don't care. Think about the other person not only yourself. It is disheartening to see the behavior of people since this entire thing started. I'm not for Golf to stop in any way shape or form. More than ever it is important now to have Golf stay available.

Everybody makes mistakes and maybe what I saw with my own eyes was a blip. God do I wish I could be out there knocking the ball around. I love Golf with all my Fat Little Heart! Have Fun & Be Careful of the Pinheads. I've been watching Old Golf Tournaments on YouTube. Very relaxing. Take it Easy Chi-Chi!
Old 03-23-2020, 09:44 AM

We are all adults and know how to be careful, don't take away our only activity left. Play Golf
Old 03-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
From what our neighbors have told us there is no need at Hilltop or Silver Lake to touch anything at the Shack. Walk up, give the name and go away and wait your turn. The Starters are communicating properly the receivers aren't receiving very well.

It's almost as if some people are resigned that they will catch this virus or just don't care. Think about the other person not only yourself. It is disheartening to see the behavior of people since this entire thing started. I'm not for Golf to stop in any way shape or form. More than ever it is important now to have Golf stay available.

Everybody makes mistakes and maybe what I saw with my own eyes was a blip. God do I wish I could be out there knocking the ball around. I love Golf with all my Fat Little Heart! Have Fun & Be Careful of the Pinheads. I've been watching Old Golf Tournaments on YouTube. Very relaxing. Take it Easy Chi-Chi!
True. That's sad some ruin things for others because they feel entitled or they just don't get it but we see that on a normal day here in the bubble.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM

They need to stay open so my husband has something to do. Besides they are in their own cart, not close to each other and out in the sun.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
If you play a championship course you must go into the club house, pull out a credit card or pay cash after showing your Village ID card which the worker handles then the credit card. You are standing in front of a counter, exposing yourself and the worker. (less than six feet). Also there are usually several others at the counter at the same time. I love golf and play only champ courses. I cancelled out this morning and will not play anymore till this thing shows improvement. If we have four or five more cases in TV I look for all the pro shops to close down. I would not work in one and be exposed to people all day long. You don't know if the person just got off a cruise or just returned from NY. You don't know if their grandkids are visiting and they flew down or drove down from a hot spot. Golf is not essential, life is.
Some of the clubhouses have ID card scanners and credit card readers. The staff touches NOTHING. The people in line can stay 6 feet back. There is no need to close it down at this time
Old 03-23-2020, 02:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It makes no difference to me if the courses are closed or left open for play. I would just like to point out that each person in your foursome has no idea who or how many people the other 3 have been in contact with since the last time you played. And whether or not any of them were exposed to and perhaps infected by the virus.
And as long as we stay 6 feet apart, don't touch each or their equipment, have someone sneeze or cough on you there is no problem.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Some of the clubhouses have ID card scanners and credit card readers. The staff touches NOTHING. The people in line can stay 6 feet back. There is no need to close it down at this time
They’re not quite all on the same page yet. Yesterday at Glenview they had the scanner for your ID but not the chip reader for your credit card. Today at Bonifay was the same thing but they wiped your card off. They also had the floor marked with tape to show you where to stand.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM

yeah, but you go to Publix every day and you are not 6 feet from the cashier...………..If everyone would just wash their hands , calm down, and try to do their best to keep everyone safe, this will be over soon!
Old 03-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Where's that stated..?
Friend of mine is an ambassador he said he received no notice of that change
This is about not raking and not pulling the pin. I asked the starter at Belle Glade, the Ambassador on Belle Glade and the Ambassador at Turtle Mound. They all said "it is up to you" when it comes to raking a trap or pulling the pin. They said to err on the side of safety. If you're in a trap and you decide to hit out of it, you can use your shoes and club to smooth the sand.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, courses, playing, things, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.