Golf courses should be closed?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 AM
gatorbill1 gatorbill1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Posts: 180
Thanks: 21
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Default Golf courses should be closed?

What will it take to close down the courses. I don't totally believe that it is safer playing golf that sitting 6 ft away from another diner in a restaurant. I personally made a decision to stop playing until things get sorted out. I seem to be in the minority.
  #2  
Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 4,695
Thanks: 264
Thanked 524 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Today Show had a doctor on this morning talking about this very subject. Golf, Tennis, those type sports are safe, he recommended no basketball or football. The Villages already stated if you don't want to touch the flag or touch a rake, that's fine, in fact leaving the flag in is kind of normal now.
  #3  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM
karostay karostay is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine / St James
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 23
Thanked 316 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Today Show had a doctor on this morning talking about this very subject. Golf, Tennis, those type sports are safe, he recommended no basketball or football. The Villages already stated if you don't want to touch the flag or touch a rake, that's fine, in fact leaving the flag in is kind of normal now.

Where's that stated..?
Friend of mine is an ambassador he said he received no notice of that change
  #4  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:29 AM
birdiebill birdiebill is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Osceola Hills
Posts: 134
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Also there is no restriction on riding solo in your own cart. We are now playing with four carts per foursome. No water available on the course in the containers at the tees or on the ambassador's carts. Take your own water for hydration.
__________________
Indiana, Virginia, Vietnam, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, S. Korea, Georgia, Washington, Hawaii, Washington, Indiana, Osceola Hills
  #5  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 AM
gatorbill1 gatorbill1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Posts: 180
Thanks: 21
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Smile

I did not state that anyone was right or wrong to play. Just stated my decision, maybe too conservative? Remember all doctors are "practicing" medicine.
  #6  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:37 AM
rustyp rustyp is online now
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,375
Thanks: 30
Thanked 172 Times in 87 Posts
Default

The rules are always for the other guy. Yesterday all day I got to watch neighborhood groups congregate after the 18th green and do sociables. Some groups were 4 to 5 foursomes. There in is the problem. Big Brother must shutdown the golf courses because the selfish do not have enough brains to protect themselves.
  #7  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,821
Thanks: 2
Thanked 514 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The rules are always for the other guy. Yesterday all day I got to watch neighborhood groups congregate after the 18th green and do sociables. Some groups were 4 to 5 foursomes. There in is the problem. Big Brother must shutdown the golf courses because the selfish do not have enough brains to protect themselves.
Or others......
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #8  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:14 AM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,034
Thanks: 1,208
Thanked 509 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
What will it take to close down the courses. I don't totally believe that it is safer playing golf that sitting 6 ft away from another diner in a restaurant. I personally made a decision to stop playing until things get sorted out. I seem to be in the minority.
Let me see if I understand this right..... You personally made a decision to stop playing and you don't think anyone else should be afforded the same right. Is that correct? You can do what you want but nobody else can?
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #9  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM
gatorbill1 gatorbill1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Posts: 180
Thanks: 21
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Let me see if I understand this right..... You personally made a decision to stop playing and you don't think anyone else should be afforded the same right. Is that correct? You can do what you want but nobody else can?
That is NOT what I said. Everyone has the right to make the same decision that I did. I just stated that I seem to be in the minority. Look at men's day on executive courses and it seems to be as many playing as ever on Churchill and de la Vista.
  #10  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Our foursome have been following all the suggested non contact guidelines as some people have stated on here from the starters not handling your ID card to not congregating after play. Separate carts, we don't touch each others equipment,flag sticks, or anything else. Bring gloves to handle a sand rake or better yet don't put your balls in the bunkers!
  #11  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 126
Thanked 173 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Let me start by saying I made a mistake. I looked at the Saturday tee sheets for execs on Friday night. I found a nearby course that after 5:15, had two 2 somes booked and all other times open until 6:56pm. I booked a spot for 2 golfers at 6pm. When we arrived there were quite a few carts in the area. I saw the tee sheet as I talked to the starter and there were alot of write ins. I noticed we were paired with a 2 some that called in. I told the starter check us in, X us out or do whatever you had to do, we were not playing with unknown to us people. He was quite ill about us not playing.
Let me head off some of you by saying I'm not special, I don't deserve any favors from anyone. I was just a little surprised to see our district thinking it's okay to pair up strangers with all that is going on. Lesson learned. We will wait until next month or the following to attempt to play. To answer the OP, no I don't think the courses should be closed. We just have to be cautious.
  #12  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 AM
karostay karostay is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine / St James
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 23
Thanked 316 Times in 149 Posts
Default

We play same 4 some 2 times a week no strangers we all know each other no reason not to play
  #13  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM
rjn5656's Avatar
rjn5656 rjn5656 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,016
Thanks: 7
Thanked 85 Times in 42 Posts
Default Golf

I still play, only ride with my wife. Do not socialize with others on the course. Do not touch the flagstick. etc.

Why shouldn't I play?
__________________
Bob anc Cheri
Upstate NY/Bonita
  #14  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:24 AM
stan the man stan the man is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 447
Thanks: 256
Thanked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Let me start by saying I made a mistake. I looked at the Saturday tee sheets for execs on Friday night. I found a nearby course that after 5:15, had two 2 somes booked and all other times open until 6:56pm. I booked a spot for 2 golfers at 6pm. When we arrived there were quite a few carts in the area. I saw the tee sheet as I talked to the starter and there were alot of write ins. I noticed we were paired with a 2 some that called in. I told the starter check us in, X us out or do whatever you had to do, we were not playing with unknown to us people. He was quite ill about us not playing.
Let me head off some of you by saying I'm not special, I don't deserve any favors from anyone. I was just a little surprised to see our district thinking it's okay to pair up strangers with all that is going on. Lesson learned. We will wait until next month or the following to attempt to play. To answer the OP, no I don't think the courses should be closed. We just have to be cautious.
That was nice of you to give up your slot.
  #15  
Old 03-22-2020, 12:33 PM
VApeople VApeople is online now
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 783
Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

What do you all think of this idea?

Here's a genius (and hygienic!) new way of cutting golf holes
Reply

Tags
golf, courses, playing, things, stop

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.