Golf in, Pickleball is out

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Well, if it came down to a choice between one or the other, I applaud the choice : )
Old 04-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Look on the bright side some people's favorite sport is still available ....... MORSE BASHING. You're a level 1 player..... right?
Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. I think that with all the unemployed struggling the entitled golfers in The Villages could jump on the STAY AT HOME TRAIN and be extra safe. I am a pickleballer and golfer and have done neither for 3 weeks without regret. Can anyone state with certainty that of the 1000’s of golfers playing daily here that none are infected or have infected others. If you can’t STAY HOME.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
With golf everyone has their own ball. In pickle ball it's the ball that spreads the germs. Can't you just pretend there's a ball? I pretend there is a hole?
Let’s say someone spits on the course and is infected and he don’t know it? Now you hit you’re ball and it rolls through the spit. Now you pick you’re ball. About the same odds as getting it off pickleball that’s been disinfected before and after every game along with players that touch the ball. Tell me you disinfect you golf ball after every hole along with you’re hands?
Old 04-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
What's a Pickle Ball any way?
A round pickle!?!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
How can you have a hole-in-one when the ball doesn't go into the cup?
If you hit the cup that holds the flagstick, the United States Golf Association has ruled that counts as a hole-in-one and you can post that score as a valid round of golf that will be used to determine your USGA handicap.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Look on the bright side some people's favorite sport is still available ....... MORSE BASHING. You're a level 1 player..... right?
MORSE BASHING over and over and over is all that some of these simple simons have to look forward to in life.

Anytime anyone damns the Morse family it's just blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I still haven't figured out, after 5 1/2 yrs. here, why The Morse's **** so many people off, the same people that probably couldn't wait to get here to what they built.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Solution: portable pickleball net. End of main CYV street (only effects two houses). Chalked lines. People in grocery stores and parking lots are closer to each other than four people on a pickleball court.

The story goes (and up for question) that the family who made up the pickleball game had a dog named Pickle who chased after the ball. Questionable.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Solution: portable pickleball net. End of main CYV street (only effects two houses). Chalked lines. People in grocery stores and parking lots are closer to each other than four people on a pickleball court.
It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
It was interesting to see all the Holes-in-One listed in today's paper, especially those in past few days.

How can you have a hole-in-one when the ball doesn't go into the cup?
These are all the people that are too cheap to buy drinks, but they want to claim they got a hole in one. And they want to believe they got a hole in one. To me... no way you can claim that unless you're playing a course like Grey Fox where the ball does actually "fall" into a hole that is more shallow than the normal hole.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Let’s say someone spits on the course and is infected and he don’t know it? Now you hit you’re ball and it rolls through the spit. Now you pick you’re ball. About the same odds as getting it off pickleball that’s been disinfected before and after every game along with players that touch the ball. Tell me you disinfect you golf ball after every hole along with you’re hands?
The virus can not live on a golf ball because of the dimples. With pickleball, the virus will climb through one of the holes and wait inside the ball to jump out at you when you check for a crack. So, the odds are very different.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.
I don't know who you play pickleball with, but nobody I play with does any of that except sweat. And not within 6 feet of each other either.

You get closer passing people on a walking trail or in a grocery store than you do playing pickleball. The cashier at Winn-Dixie yesterday was closer to me than my husband was the whole hour and a half we played that morning.

What they're trying to stop is people lining up for open play. If the players stuck to the same four to a court with the middle courts empty, it works.

How they can call pickleball non essential but golf e$$ential is beyond me. Twenty golf carts parked within inches of each other at the starter shacks and people lined up waiting to check in.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 AM

It's all relative
Old 04-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
MORSE BASHING over and over and over is all that some of these simple simons have to look forward to in life.

Anytime anyone damns the Morse family it's just blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I still haven't figured out, after 5 1/2 yrs. here, why The Morse's **** so many people off, the same people that probably couldn't wait to get here to what they built.

Totally agree with this post....The Morse family has, is and will always do a fantastic job with anything they tackle....why, because they have integrity, they have vision and they certainly have a sense of responsibility.

To all the Morse-bashers I say...grow up and stop acting like cry babies...The Morse family doesn't owe you a darn thing
Old 04-03-2020, 06:43 AM

Common sense has been abandoned. Viruses are killed by dryness, heat, and ultraviolet. In order to get the virus from a dry plastic ball, you'd have to lick the ball right after someone handed it to you.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
Common sense has been abandoned. Viruses are killed by dryness, heat, and ultraviolet. In order to get the virus from a dry plastic ball, you'd have to lick the ball right after someone handed it to you.
This is how the virus gets spread around. Do you actually think that thousands of people got the virus by licking something?
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, remain, tonight, notice, closed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.