Golf in, Pickleball is out

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Let’s say someone spits on the course and is infected and he don’t know it? Now you hit you’re ball and it rolls through the spit. Now you pick you’re ball. About the same odds as getting it off pickleball that’s been disinfected before and after every game along with players that touch the ball. Tell me you disinfect you golf ball after every hole along with you’re hands?
I'd say you have better odds of getting a hole in one on every hole
Than contacting that one hypothetically infected droplet
Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Default Golf employees

[QUOTE=JGVillages;1739172]Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. “

Amen
Old 04-03-2020, 07:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
Common sense has been abandoned. Viruses are killed by dryness, heat, and ultraviolet. In order to get the virus from a dry plastic ball, you'd have to lick the ball right after someone handed it to you.
Are you a doctor or do you just play one on TOTV?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:18 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
It was interesting to see all the Holes-in-One listed in today's paper, especially those in past few days.

How can you have a hole-in-one when the ball doesn't go into the cup?
Maybe call it a “thunk-in-one” 🤣
Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If you hit the cup that holds the flagstick, the United States Golf Association has ruled that counts as a hole-in-one and you can post that score as a valid round of golf that will be used to determine your USGA handicap.
Nowhere does the USGA state this. This is a current rumor that has been spread by those that want to count these as holes in one. For handicapping purposes, they state you can post your score as long as you correct the score to accurately show what your score would have actually been without the PVC. i.e. - a putt is rolling at the proper speed and hits the PVC dead center (or nearly dead center), it's probably in. If it glances off the outer portion of the PVC, it's most likely not - if you put the ball touching the PVC, the ball is rolling outside of the hole - no way it's going in.

By these rules, there is no way you can tell from the tee where the ball hit the PVC, and how hard it hit - thus no hole in one.

I had one Saturday, and another on Tuesday. I did not register them - they are not real hole in ones.

This is croquet golf, not real golf. Claiming a hole in one now is worse than a hole in one on the bigger holes (those are not sanctioned by the USGA either).
Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Fore!;1739363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. “

Amen

Good question. Someone here can justify it, I’m sure.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Not to worry, the government will take care of this golfing problem. They know best?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage

The pro shops are clearly an issue and so are the executive starter shacks. The rec department should consider dropping the daily trail fee and greens fees (for non residents) on the executives so no cash has be be exchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. I think that with all the unemployed struggling the entitled golfers in The Villages could jump on the STAY AT HOME TRAIN and be extra safe. I am a pickleballer and golfer and have done neither for 3 weeks without regret. Can anyone state with certainty that of the 1000’s of golfers playing daily here that none are infected or have infected others. If you can’t STAY HOME.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Just reported by the Daily Sun. All courts will be closed until further notice tonight. All golf course will remain open.
Gov, supervisors, etc. play golf, not pickleball
Old 04-03-2020, 08:13 AM

I live on a course. Five minutes ago, a golfer, left the course, walked within two feet of my lanai and rummaged thru my landscaping. Three times I asked him to leave my property and return to the course. He refused, ignored me until he found a couple balls. Stay at home order does not mean you trespass on the private property of another and refuse to leave. Called starter shack to have ambassador speak to him. I thought golf was a gentleman’s game.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Are you a doctor or do you just play one on TOTV?
Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:05 AM

Why are the golf courses open putting their employees at risk?
Old 04-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I live on a course. Five minutes ago, a golfer, left the course, walked within two feet of my lanai and rummaged thru my landscaping. Three times I asked him to leave my property and return to the course. He refused, ignored me until he found a couple balls. Stay at home order does not mean you trespass on the private property of another and refuse to leave. Called starter shack to have ambassador speak to him. I thought golf was a gentleman’s game.
That certainly wasn't a gentleman. I never ever go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball. It's not my property. People should be called out for that. It's poor judgement and common sense not to trespass.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I would have used the garden hose!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwachowski View Post
Why are the golf courses open putting their employees at risk?
follow the money.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, remain, tonight, notice, closed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.