Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf in, Pickleball is out (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-pickleball-out-304746/)

Topspinmo 04-03-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1739523)
That certainly wasn't a gentleman. I never ever go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball. It's not my property. People should be called out for that. It's poor judgement and common sense not to trespass.

I’m too embarrassed to go looking for golf balls, especially when one strays off course property. I don’t even go in out of bounds to retrieve ball. It holds up play. They are too cheap to re-supply the ball.

Rosie1950 04-03-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1739238)
It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.

Well I don’t know about that. Plenty of walking farters around,at the postal station, grocery, town squares, they just let’em rip. LOL
I guess they think if they can’t hear nobody else can either
Never mind N95 masks sometimes u need gas masks

justjim 04-03-2020 03:28 PM

Don’t enter private property for ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1739523)
That certainly wasn't a gentleman. I never ever go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball. It's not my property. People should be called out for that. It's poor judgement and common sense not to trespass.

This person may or may not be an “experienced” golfer who doesn’t know golf etiquette. Either way he owes the property owner an apology.

CFrance 04-03-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1739765)
This person may or may not be an “experienced” golfer who doesn’t know golf etiquette. Either way he owes the property owner an apology.

And besides golf etiquette, there's the thing about not trespassing, which applies everywhere.

chet2020 04-03-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 1739429)
I live on a course. Five minutes ago, a golfer, left the course, walked within two feet of my lanai and rummaged thru my landscaping. Three times I asked him to leave my property and return to the course. He refused, ignored me until he found a couple balls. Stay at home order does not mean you trespass on the private property of another and refuse to leave. Called starter shack to have ambassador speak to him. I thought golf was a gentleman’s game.

I'm a golfer and that golfer was a jerk, pandemic or not.

golfing eagles 04-04-2020 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1739861)
And besides golf etiquette, there's the thing about not trespassing, which applies everywhere.

The following may surprise everyone, it certainly surprised me (and I live on a golf course)

By Raymond Schumann - Board Certified Real Estate Attorney:

"Golf course communities always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements and covenants that permit golfers to retrieve their errant balls. This section might read: "Every Lot and the Common Area is burdened with an easement permitting golf balls hit from the Club facilities to unintentionally come upon the Lot and for golfers at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner to come upon the exterior portions of the Lot to retrieve errant golf balls." If the Lot is fenced or walled, the documents usually confirm that the golfer must seek the Owner's or Occupant's permission before entry.
In other words, people may enter property to retrieve items such as golf balls, or pets if they do so in a reasonable manner. Tearing down a fence would not be considered reasonable. Every owner of property located on or adjacent to a golf course should become familiar with the applicable sections of the deed restrictions, easements and covenants governing their property."

I still won't go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball, but if someone comes into my yard, they apparently have the legal right to do so. There are certain properties on certain courses (and golfers know where they are), that you should avoid at all costs---the homeowner is NUTS--to the point that he has a restraining order against him

xNYer 04-04-2020 07:40 AM

Deed restrictions

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1739928)
The following may surprise everyone, it certainly surprised me (and I live on a golf course)

"Golf course communities always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements and covenants that permit golfers to retrieve their errant balls. This section might read: "Every Lot and the Common Area is burdened with an easement permitting golf balls hit from the Club facilities to unintentionally come upon the Lot and for golfers at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner to come upon the exterior portions of the Lot to retrieve errant golf balls." If the Lot is fenced or walled, the documents usually confirm that the golfer must seek the Owner's or Occupant's permission before entry.
In other words, people may enter property to retrieve items such as golf balls, or pets if they do so in a reasonable manner. Tearing down a fence would not be considered reasonable. Every owner of property located on or adjacent to a golf course should become familiar with the applicable sections of the deed restrictions, easements and covenants governing their property."

I still won't go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball, but if someone comes into my yard, they apparently have the legal right to do so. There are certain properties on certain courses (and golfers know where they are), that you should avoid at all costs---the homeowner is NUTS--to the point that he has a restraining order against him

I couldn’t find anything similar to that in the deed restrictions for my lot in The Villages.

golfing eagles 04-04-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNYer (Post 1740011)
I couldn’t find anything similar to that in the deed restrictions for my lot in The Villages.

I'll take your word for it, I didn't check. And I have no idea if this is something that applies to all of Florida or if it is a community by community regulation.

In either case, I think it is just plain rude to do so without permission. If I'm sitting on my lanai, I tell golfers to go right ahead and get their ball, but I support anyone who doesn't want them to.

Bambi 04-04-2020 08:08 AM

Sorry. Nothing in deed restrictions in The Villages reference right of a golfer to trespass on your property and rummage through your landscaping with their golf club. If there was such an easement would The Villages assume liability for “slip and falls?”. If you read the Good Golf rule booklet, it specifically states not to leave the golf course to retrieve balls.
Nowhere does it state that the homeowner must allow strangers on their private property.
As far as the edge of the property, I have found golfers looking for balls in my front yard and walking past my bedroom and bathroom windows.
A few golfers have politely asked if they can look for their ball but most just barge on in usually accompanied by one or two of their “helpful friends.”
If you cannot afford to replace a ball and you think you are entitled to invade someone’s property, maybe it is time to find a sport you can afford.

justjim 04-04-2020 08:40 AM

Golf balls in private yards

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNYer (Post 1740011)

It’s not in my deed restrictions here in The Villages. Good golf school here in TV teaches not to enter yards unless invited to retrieve a golf ball.

Bay Kid 04-05-2020 05:56 AM

The drawback of being golf front is golfers, but most golfers are very respectful of the property owners.

Knighterrant 04-05-2020 05:34 PM

Another addition to the arguments regarding shutting down pickle ball. Farting! The newest method of transmitting a virus.

CFrance 04-05-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1739928)

I don't think rummaging through someone's landscaping would qualify as a reasonable manner.