Golfer hit by golf ball while on the green

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
We were playing at Sandhill the other day and the people behind us hit into our group three times. Thank God we were not hit. I have only had this happen twice. The first time I was so stupid that I thought the balls I was seeing were lost balls and I picked them up the first two time. The third time I figured it out.
She caught us later and complained that I had snagged two of her balls. She told me I was stupid to not realize what was going on and picking up her balls. I pointed out that if three of her balls were on the part of the course that I was playing on, it is not I who was stupid. She was not pleased but the ambassador that was standing near us came over and read her the roit act.
Hmm, there is only one par 4 on Sandhill....so, they hit into you at least twice on Par 3s? It is almost unfathomable that a group tees off on a par 3 before the group ahead is off the green and on their way. It is time for those that know the rules to stand their ground and for the ambassadors to step up and admonish those who commit this etiquette/safety violation before further injuries occur.

What the heck is going on out there? Inexperienced golfers, impatient people, or ??
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Sage
Default How timely for thread and embarrasing for me

Yesterday, Bonifay, par 5 big down wind, 305 from green, group on green. I gave a 3 wood a mighty lash, expecting if I really caught one it would roll out to 260-280 down wind on firm fairways...

As we approached the green, my ball was not short in front, it was on back collar. My heart sank. I dropped my wife off and raced to the next tee at 19.6 MPH and apologized. It was roundly accepted and in fact one of them was shocked how far his ball went. My best guess is it landed 60 - 70 yards short....

I am glad they were nice guys and have played golf enough to understand an accident.

Last edited by ajbrown; 02-25-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: subject wording
Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Yesterday, Bonifay, par 5 big down wind, 305 from green, group on green. I gave a 3 wood a mighty lash, expecting if I really caught one it would roll out to 260-280 down wind on firm fairways...

As we approached the green, my ball was not short in front, it was on back collar. My heart sank. I dropped my wife off and raced to the next tee at 19.6 MPH and apologized. It was roundly accepted and in fact one of them was shocked how far his ball went. My best guess is it landed 60 - 70 yards short....

I am glad they were nice guys and have played golf enough to understand an accident.
Gonna have to start calling you AJ McIlroy. 300 yd 3 wood? Yikes
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
We were playing at Sandhill the other day and the people behind us hit into our group three times. Thank God we were not hit. I have only had this happen twice. The first time I was so stupid that I thought the balls I was seeing were lost balls and I picked them up the first two time. The third time I figured it out.
She caught us later and complained that I had snagged two of her balls. She told me I was stupid to not realize what was going on and picking up her balls. I pointed out that if three of her balls were on the part of the course that I was playing on, it is not I who was stupid. She was not pleased but the ambassador that was standing near us came over and read her the roit act.
How did this happen at Sandhill? There is only 1 par 4 on that course. Did they hit into your group when you where on a par 3? If the did then they are absolute idiots. Yes, the play can be slow on the execs during the winter season but that is no excuse.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

That's what I'm talking about...the "career" shot. Yeah it went into them but rolling I would imagine (300yds in the air I don't think so). AJ did the right thing and explained that he never thought it would go so far... They accepted that.....no harm no foul

To be hit into on a par 3 is just dangerous with no regard for potential injury. It is common sense. Etiquettte is waiting until the carts cleared the area. Even if it backed up and you feel you MUST hurry things along do it when it is clear......

Come on April!

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
How did this happen at Sandhill? There is only 1 par 4 on that course. Did they hit into your group when you where on a par 3? If the did then they are absolute idiots. Yes, the play can be slow on the execs during the winter season but that is no excuse.
Exactly Russ. I e played behind some slow folks but never would hit like this.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Thank you, sweet Gracie for supporting my integrety I posted the incident as a warning to let other TOTV know such injuries occur. (Seldom reported in the newspape) There are so many extra folk here at the moment, that all amenities, roads, restaurents etc., are straining to maintain some semblence of civility. With visitors attempting to sample every single thing offered at TV during their short stay, I have notice a trend of "get out of my way".. I will be the first to admit, this is only MY little survey. As I travel TV in my golf cart, I've had several near misses involvng out of state tagged cars cutting in front to make a turn, beat me to the "carts merge" signs, wrong way cart travel, (another post involving a lady attempting to go through the posts put there to STOP folks from passing though) I conclude a healthy percentage are visitors on a mission. It is also reflected in some of the classes I take, the class number of attendees having doubled. For another month, an hour wait is essential to ensure getting into class. As I listen I hear eager conversations of a very full day of activities planned for the remainder of the day. I don't begrudge our seasonal visitors, indeed they help "pay our way" so to speak. Its the frantic pace so many of them keep. Lastly, enjoy our beautiful Home Town and all its' amenities, but please be "safe out there"
Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Gonna have to start calling you AJ McIlroy. 300 yd 3 wood? Yikes
Almost the same, I smoke a 3 wood down wind with 70 yards of roll for 300, Rory chokes down a 3-wood, plays a fade to take some distance off and flies it 300....

Watching the tour players and the distance they are hitting shots is crazy. The USGA lost control of the ball sometime in the late 90s and it is never going back. Kind of a shame if you ask me, but that is for another thread.....

Last edited by ajbrown; 02-26-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

AJ,
Did you make eagle?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Ouch! He's lucky to be okay.....a fellow in Orlando was killed last year when hit by a ball.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:

Congrats AJ. Big difference in this situation and hitting when someone is 120 yards in front of you. New to golf or not, it's hard for me to imagine someone not having better sense than that.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
As I recall the basic rules are:
1. You enter a golf course at your own risk as you know there are risks of
being hit.
2. If the person who hit you yelled "fore" then he/she has some protection
from being sued.
3. If the person who hit the ball did not yell "fore" and there was a potential
for the ball hitting someone he is at risk.
4. If the person hitting the ball was striking the ball in a way that was out of the ordinary expectation then again the ball striker may have some problems.
These are not meant to be a statement of the law but rather what I understood from playing golf? Only an attorney can make a reasonable judgement as to responsibility!
Not sure where you got these "rules," but these are not the Rules of Golf. There is no excuse for hitting a ball ever is someone is 120 feet in front of you.

And, um, if you hit an errant shot that endangers someone, the purpose of yelling "fore" is to protect the other player from injury or death, not to avoid being sued.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Default Ouch

Watch it out there....that could really hurt someone badly! anyone ever been killed like that?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran member

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Not sure where you got these "rules," but these are not the Rules of Golf. There is no excuse for hitting a ball ever is someone is 120 feet in front of you.

And, um, if you hit an errant shot that endangers someone, the purpose of yelling "fore" is to protect the other player from injury or death, not to avoid being sued.

Interesting article. I wouldn't have thought that.

Golf And The Law

The New York Courts of Appeals, the highest court in New York State and the equivalent of other states’ Supreme Court, has ruled that a golfer need not yell “Fore” on a mis-hit shot. According to the Court of Appeals, those participating in sporting and recreational events assume the risks associated with the activity. In the case of golf, that includes getting hit with an errant shot.

The case before the Court involved three golfers playing on a Long Island course. Two members of the threesome hit their balls into the deep rough. Both located their balls. As the one in front turned to announce that he had found his ball, the player behind swung at his ball and shanked it, hitting the other in the head. For non-golfers, a shank is a shot hit, usually hit off the hosel [the part of the shaft that attaches to the club face], that flies off at an angle not intended by the golfer.

In this instance, the player who was hit was a neuroradiologist who lost sight in one eye and was unable to continue working due to the injury. New York’s Court of Appeals upheld rulings by the lower courts dismissing the case. The Court explained that intentional or reckless conduct may result in a legitimate claim, but that was not the case here. Being struck by an unintentionally shanked shot, according to the Court of Appeals, “reflects a commonly appreciated risk of golf.”

Golf etiquette in determining when one should strike one’s ball was apparently not a consideration in the Court’s determination. Still, it is very uncool to sue one’s long time playing partner over an errant shot…just ask Dick Cheney’s hunting partner [not a shanked shot, but a cheap shot on my part]. The two golfers had been playing partners for years.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.