Golfer hit by golf ball while on the green

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Funny thing, never read about this kind of thing in July.......

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If you follow golf etiquette, you probably won't have to worry about being sued.

We have lived in golf communities almost all of our married life which will be fifty years in April. It is my experience that most people who golf a lot follow the rules of etiquette. Golfers are generally thought of as gentlemen and gentlewomen and that is one of the things I like about the game. The big stars aren't nailed for drugs and nasty behavior much. (Thank you Tiger for destroying my argument on that one)

The rules of etiquette in any social situation are simply the rules of consideration for others, that we can fall back on when we are angry or impatient and help us remember that we have self control. In a word, they are the rules of acting kindly toward others.

I am really shocked at the behavior I see from some new golfers here. I don't think any courses about golf etiquette are going to change them much. Somehow some people get to be 55 without their mothers smacking them up side the head for being brash and bullyish and for not keeping their mouths shut and barging around doing what they WANT to do all of the time.

I imagine they are doing the same thing at pickleball and at pool and at art class and they are the ones talking to each other at the movies and at concerts.

There just isn't an answer to this. And being impatient in some situations can be very VERY dangerous to others.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you follow golf etiquette, you probably won't have to worry about being sued.

We have lived in golf communities almost all of our married life which will be fifty years in April. It is my experience that most people who golf a lot follow the rules of etiquette. Golfers are generally thought of as gentlemen and gentlewomen and that is one of the things I like about the game. The big stars aren't nailed for drugs and nasty behavior much. (Thank you Tiger for destroying my argument on that one)

The rules of etiquette in any social situation are simply the rules of consideration for others, that we can fall back on when we are angry or impatient and help us remember that we have self control. In a word, they are the rules of acting kindly toward others.

I am really shocked at the behavior I see from some new golfers here. I don't think any courses about golf etiquette are going to change them much. Somehow some people get to be 55 without their mothers smacking them up side the head for being brash and bullyish and for not keeping their mouths shut and barging around doing what they WANT to do all of the time.

I imagine they are doing the same thing at pickleball and at pool and at art class and they are the ones talking to each other at the movies and at concerts.

There just isn't an answer to this. And being impatient in some situations can be very VERY dangerous to others.
GG maybe you are at stage 3

Quote from Barefoot in the Multiple Home Owner Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've noticed whenever a "seasoned" poster dares to suggest that The Villages is less than perfect, someone usually steps in to suggest they are grumpy or depressed or need meds of some sort. Usually it is a Newbie, setting the record straight! Or GG, and we all treasure her sunny outlook. Most of the Oldies that used to be members of TOTV have left. We have a few seasoned posters, but this site is overwhelmingly for Newbies who are blown away by the beauty and cleanliness and lifestyle opportunities. And that's the way it should be.

I think that living in The Villages is much like falling in love. In the first stage, the loved one is perfect and the answer to a prayer. In this stage there is perpetual activity, decorating, dancing at town squares, and enrolling in so many clubs and activities that usually you have to take a time out because of exhaustion.

In the second stage, perhaps a year later, flaws are beginning to surface, but the loved one is still almost perfect. Line-ups at restaurants and for popular classes can be annoying. Driving a golf cart everywhere is a little less fun, and people drive their cars more often, especially if they're going to the opposite side of TV. The tendency is to visit the Squares less, and perhaps spend more time at neighbourhood parties and enjoying the pleasures of home. Perhaps even start cooking and having dinner parties, rather than lining up at restaurants.

In stage three, when the flaws are glaringly evident, the loved one is still valued and loved, warts and all. The Town Squares are pridefully shown off to company, and visted occasionally. Parades and crowds are more likely to be avoided than to be desired. People move to larger or smaller houses, or trade a house with a kissing lanai for a house with a view lot. Or move from an old section to a new one. Or from a new Village to more relaxed Historical. In stage three, some people decide TV is not for them. Not because they are grumpy or ill or depressed or need meds. I've know a lot of people who moved out of TV, although of course, they're not posting on TOTV so you won't hear their stories. They are people who wanted to be near the ocean, or live in more privacy with fences and less restrictions. Some people feel that TV is a "cookie cutter" or "Stepford wife" environment. There are people who are sorry they left their family up north and want to be near them again. They are people who were told that "TV is paradise and you should live here". So they moved to TV because they thought it would solve all their problems in life, but of course it didn't, so they moved on.

After five seasons here, I love TV and wouldn't leave it. I'm certainly not trying to badmouth TV, it is an unique community like no other. The only point I'm trying to make, gentle readers, is that TV isn't perfect for everyone. And when people find fault with TV, it isn't because they have an attitude problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Funny thing, never read about this kind of thing in July.......
Forget July. In all my years around golf I have never heard of a golfer hitting into a green from 120 yards while people are still on the green.

To my friend Fourpar: I did not, it was not that kind of a day.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

I've found numerous golf balls in my front yard from shanked shots off the tee. What if I hit one of these balls with my lawnmower and hit a neighbor? Can I be sued? Not if it was a New Yorker shanking it off the tee? Wow, I'm really confused!!! It's good I don't play golf!!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
GG maybe you are at stage 3

Quote from Barefoot in the Multiple Home Owner Thread
Ummm....Nitehawk. I know I have blonde hair and all....but I just don't get it.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GOLF ETIQUETTE?????
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Ummm....Nitehawk. I know I have blonde hair and all....but I just don't get it.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GOLF ETIQUETTE?????
Anger and Bargaining? (Grief stages)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good grief! You've hit the nail on the head.

I am angry about the hitting into people and it will be no bargain when the posse beats up on the hitter inners.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good grief! You've hit the nail on the head.

I am angry about the hitting into people and it will be no bargain when the posse beats up on the hitter inners.
Very Good Gracie
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.