Is The Villages really a 55 and over community?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM
Default Is The Villages really a 55 and over community?

Howdy folks, I know that technically this is a 55 and older community, but I have heard there are many folks younger than 55 living here. Please don't misunderstand, I have no problem with this. I'm just wondering if the 55 rule is ever enforced? Could I invite someone 50 years of age to live with me here in The Villages? Could that be a problem? Thanks in advance to anyone who is courteous enough to reply with knowledge on this subject.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

In the areas of TV where it is enforced, each household needs to be occupied by at least one person age 55 or older. That is the requirement from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. From what I understand (others can confirm), the rule is not enforced for resales.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 03-30-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Reference to "deed" changed to "household"
Old 03-30-2020, 08:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Here's the actual answer

Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.

The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.

The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 AM

In the State of Florida, 80% of the households in an Over 55 Community must have at least one person in the household over 55. Also, no one under the age of 19 can be a permanent resident.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM

Thanks much!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 AM
Platinum member

It is monitored. In order to remain an age-restricted community, TV must provide statistics to HUD every two years. If the 80/20 ratio is not maintained, TV will lose its age-restricted status. After that, lawn ornament complaints will have to take a back seat to basketball goals, swing sets, tricycles, and trampolines.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.

The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.

The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
This subject comes up all the time and this is the answer.

Under the law it's possible, although highly unlikely, for 80% or more of the residents to be under the age of 55.

This applies to every 55+ community in the country. Get over it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 AM

The minimum age restriction of no one under 19 is not part of state or Federal law. It is, however, permitted to be part of the individual community's bylaws i.e.,The Villages.

To understand why we have "over 55" communities, one needs to be aware of the Federal Fair Housing Law which prohibits anyone who sells or rents housing to refuse to do so because of race, sex, pregnancy, disability, nationality, religion, color or familial status.

To get around this law, the Federal government also enacted law
establishing "over 55" communities which permitted discrimination in certain situations. Thus the 80/20 rule.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
In the areas of TV where it is enforced, each household needs to be occupied by at least one person age 55 or older. That is the requirement from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. From what I understand (others can confirm), the rule is not enforced for resales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne and Mike View Post
In the State of Florida, 80% of the households in an Over 55 Community must have at least one person in the household over 55. Also, no one under the age of 19 can be a permanent resident.
You you do not need to have a 55yo owner in every house
Old 03-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
it wasn't true in 2002 when my wife and I both 50 yrs old moved here... and we actually bought the lot at 49 and waited a year to build
Old 03-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Howdy folks, I know that technically this is a 55 and older community, but I have heard there are many folks younger than 55 living here. Please don't misunderstand, I have no problem with this. I'm just wondering if the 55 rule is ever enforced? Could I invite someone 50 years of age to live with me here in The Villages? Could that be a problem? Thanks in advance to anyone who is courteous enough to reply with knowledge on this subject.
Sure, it you’re want them to have full bubble benefits just put them on you’re deed. I guess there no limit to how many can be on deed . IMO it should be two.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This subject comes up all the time and this is the answer.

Under the law it's possible, although highly unlikely, for 80% or more of the residents to be under the age of 55.

This applies to every 55+ community in the country. Get over it.
Oh Dr Winston O'Lennon, I mean Boogie...that's very true and it's useful to know that HUD allows 20% of the population to be under age 55 (I think you meant 20 where you said 80). And yes, we've gotten over it!

But the OP asked "Could I invite someone 50 years of age to live with me here in The Villages?" I don't see how knowing 20% of the population can be under 55 would answer his question unless he knew the current ratio in the Village, which he presumably doesn't and nobody has told him. I'm gonna go with an answer along the lines of "only one person per household has to be 55 or over” if the 20% maximum has been reached.

Love your Friday morning get togethers, as I've said before, and can't wait for them to resume.

"Now it's time to say goodnight, goodnight, sleep tight, now the sun turns out his light goodnight, sleep tight."

///o-o\\\

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 03-30-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added 20% max
Old 03-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Sure, it you’re want them to have full bubble benefits just put them on you’re deed. I guess there no limit to how many can be on deed . IMO it should be two.
Actually it’s 4
Old 03-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Sure, as long as she is 19 or older you are good to go!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Oh Dr Winston O'Lennon, I mean Boogie...that's very true and it's useful to know that HUD allows 20% of the population to be under age 55 (I think you meant 20 where you said 80). And yes, we've gotten over it!
He did not, but I do not wish or need to speak for him. He has given many examples in previous threads.

Tags
problem, folks, community, villages, reply

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.