Golfers, please do your patriotic duty...stay home!

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM

I find it very insulting this thread many of the villagers proudly served their country in War time and peace how dare anybody call any villager unpatriotic to me is disgusting.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 AM

I hope they keep this in mind -
Fifty-five people have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus in the tri-county area, with Lake and Sumter counties clearly leading the way.
Sumter County now has 24 residents suffering from the Coronavirus
Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 AM

What?!?!....
So, just because you can’t go out and do something, you want to deny others?! That is laughable. Like not letting the other kids go out trick-or-treating because one kid is sick!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Lots of newbies on TOTV.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:49 AM
Default What!!! We are outside distancing ourselves from each other dah

I have not seen anyone invading anybodies space anywhere at the golf courses. You are totally unaware of what goes on out there. NO crowds at the starter shacks either.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

The pools would not have been closed if people did not crowd it in excess of guidelines. You can thank them or not.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:59 AM

From an article in The Golf Etiquetteist:

Given the current climate, the question is: should we feel guilty about playing golf?

In this instance, we should look first to the government itself. As in, the rule of law.
A number cities and municipalities around the country have issued shelter-at-home orders. In these areas, all non-essential businesses have been shuttered, including golf courses.
If you’re sneaking out to play in any of those places, you aren’t just breeching etiquette. You’re breaking the law.

In much of the United States, though, golf continues and The Golf Etiquetteist would argue that that’s more than okay. It is, in fact, a boon for the common good (and for both mental and physical wellbeing), provided that those courses are abiding by public health guidelines and the golfers themselves are taking proper precautions — like riding in separate carts---common sense measures. In the Villages, everyone is in a separate art and no one is sitting in a restaurant together after the round. No one touches the flag and the cup is inverted so you don't even reach in the hole to retrieve the ball.

In a tweet Wednesday morning, none other than Phil Mickelson said that he’d just played golf while following these measures. “. . it was nice to get outside, be active and still be safe for myself and others.”

That’s pretty much the sum of it.

Public health is paramount, of course, but mental health is also important. So long as the latter doesn’t compromise the former, golf can still be played in the same way that it should always be pursued: with a sense of gratitude, and, yes … guilt free.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Default Golfing

The Villages courses have made a number of changes, so that now you only touch your
own ball, clubs, and cart. As long as you choose to stay your distance from others, I see
no danger of contracting or spreading the virus.
I you are so concerned about it, just stay home and inside.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
There is an over 65 stay at home order? Are you sure?
Yes!

Health Officials Advise Residents Over 65 Years of Age to Stay Home | Florida Department of Health in Sumter
Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 AM

Since, you are shut in does that mean you don’t want walkers, runners, golfers or bikers to enjoy themselves either? Come on man!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I did my patriotic duty. In 1969 I had a draft lottery number of 265, meaning I was not going to be drafted. On top of that, I was enrolled in college in my second year and had a college deferment. So what did I do? I dropped out of college and enlisted in the Army, I just didn't feel right being at home and not doing my duty. I think I've earned the right to go out and play a round of golf one day a week in my retirement years and not being called unpatriotic.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
There is an over 65 stay at home order? Are you sure?
Advisory and order are two different things.

"This advisory recommends that all persons 65 years of age or older stay in their homes to the maximum extent possible"

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 03-27-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Advisory and order are two different things.

"This advisory recommends that all persons 65 years of age or older stay in their homes to the maximum extent possible"

Steve
I am a victim of my past. During my working years I traveled internationally very extensively. When The US Dept. of State "advised" to not travel to a country, we did not go there.
I continue to abide by their advisory when traveling.

Hence when the surgeon general of Sumter county advises over 65 to stay at home......at 83....I do!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 AM

Friends/People, as this pandemic forces us to staying in lock down/separation, maintaining psychological calmness / sanity is more important than ever. Everyone should use common sense to protect themselves and people around them. There are already reports regarding child/spouse/family abuse at home as people are not used to being around each other 24/7. The virus does not have emotion, we do. Don't let your emotion make this place called earth worse than it is. One sentence I heard that makes a whole lot of sense. "Pretend you and people around you might already have the virus and act accordingly". Do your part and let's be careful when we accuse people around you. Stay safe!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Until it is mandated by ORDER not ADVISORY those that are playing golf at present will continue with a long list of justifications. There are plus and minuses to both sides of this debate. But for the record to call it unpatriotic maybe a stretch since an ORDER has not been issued thus technically leaving the play decision at the discretion of the golfer. The proper term at this point more realistically is SELFISH.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, golfers, pandemic, rest, duty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.