Golfers that won't follow the rules

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Golfers that won't follow the rules

Why is it that golfers won't follow the rules on the golf courses.
I see them going on provide property , in ponds, driving on the greens , and not smoothing out the sand traps.
JEZZZZZZ!!!!
What is it the entitlement or they figure they can go where ever they want!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Mostly I suspect it is ignorance.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Golf should be enjoyable BUT there are rules to follow such as:
- If your ball is not in the line of flight of another player, go to your ball to speed up pace of play. Don't all congregate behind each golfer as they hit their shot!
- Park your cart on the cart path as marked, not in front of the green where in may be in the way of golfers hitting up. If you have the "privileges" ribbon or accomodation cuff, park near the backside of the green.
- Leave the green as soon as the last player has putted in. Better yet, if you are done, move to your cart.
- Putts a couple inches from the hole should always be conceded.
- Shaking hands, exchanging numbers, etc. are better done AFTER leaving the green.

These simple little things help make the round of those behind you more enjoyable..and your round too!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

AND.....

Sand your divots, rake the sand traps, repair your pitch marks on the green and last but not least DON"T drag your feet when you walk on the green. Several times I have followed someone that really scuffed up the greens around the pin.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I see them going on provide property , in ponds, driving on the greens , and not smoothing out the sand traps.
JEZZZZZZ!!!!
I think these are the same people that walk their dogs without a leash and don't pick up their dogs poop. These are the elite members of our hometown.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Ignorance is only an legidiment excuse for new golfers during their first hand full of rounds. After that it is either stupidity or simply being lazy.

Last edited by tophcfa; 08-20-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
JEZZZZZZ!!!!
Some priority members think that gives them privileged/entitled status where they don't have to follow the rules.

If you see something, say something. Believe me, I ALWAYS do.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Unfortunately, a lot of the things mentioned above (other than driving on greens/private property/a few others) aren't really "Rules" as such...just "suggestions" for 'ready golf/proper etiquette.'

Therefore, the only way to change the habitual offenders is for the course to take some type of action that means something...and that is most likely never going to happen.

Making a group pick up and move ahead a hole or two, or banning them from playing for a few weeks if they are continually being warned...is about the only thing that MIGHT get their attention.

Even then, it most likely wouldn't be enough for a lot of these total flaming jerks...to make much of a difference
Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
JEZZZZZZ!!!!
Not that bad it’s only 90%
Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of the things mentioned above (other than driving on greens/private property/a few others) aren't really "Rules" as such...just "suggestions" for 'ready golf/proper etiquette.'

Therefore, the only way to change the habitual offenders is for the course to take some type of action that means something...and that is most likely never going to happen.

Making a group pick up and move ahead a hole or two, or banning them from playing for a few weeks if they are continually being warned...is about the only thing that MIGHT get their attention.

Even then, it most likely wouldn't be enough for a lot of these total flaming jerks...to make much of a difference
I Guess your right, But i can't understand when a ball goes off the course it is a dead ball! to go on someones property and invade there privacy bothers Me! if the ball is a couple feet in and you see it and retrieve it i don't have a problem with. But to trample through someones property and play hide and go seek is not acceptable.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
JEZZZZZZ!!!!
I understand your frustration Chelleybean. I can't Golf anymore but really love Golf and all the nice things that go along with participating while on the course.

I started out Caddying for Free as a teenager. I learned the rules from other Caddies and from the Golfers I carried for. It was 50 years ago. Rules were there to be followed. Times have changed. It's sad.

We have a friend that we check on who lives in the wrong spot on a Championship Course. His house gets nailed all day long with Golf Balls off the Tee. He told us Twenty Years ago that people would leave a note or acknowledge the damage they caused but NEVER go on a hunt for the ball.

It isn't that way anymore.

People are not going to change for the better either. The Good Old Days Are A Memory as per our friend. What a great person he is. Sorry for rambling but I feel your pain.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

We all have seen them. All we can do is educate them if we are so lucky enough to have to play with them.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM

I dont necessarily agree with all your comments, like parking our cart in front of the greens if you have a handicap cart, if the pin location is in the front or center position it is actually quicker to park your cart in front of the greens, it actually takes longer to drive all around the greens and then walk to the front or middle pin positions. Besides that, if you are the group behind, you should not hit your shots to the green until all players have gotten to their carts and have left the hole that they have completed. Remember golf is to be enjoyed by everyone, the course is not a racetrack to see how fast you can play, contrary to some popular belief. I also believe if my group is playing to my time par that is listed on the card, no person or group has any right to complain. I remember last year when we were playing at Stonecrest a group kept hitting into my group on 3 consecutive holes, I went to their ball and hit it back to there way but at a 45 degree angle to serve as a reminder to them after yelling at them the last 2 previous holes to be aware of where the group ahead of them is located. Finally we got there attention to be more cautious.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Doesn't Stonecrest have ambassadors/course rangers?
If so, you should have told them about the group hitting into your group. Hitting the ball back was a poor choice on your part.

Tags
golfers, follow, rules, jezzzzzz, sand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.