Golfing at it's worse

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Gold member
Default Golfing at it's worse

Oh my gosh, the last three executive I have played should have been closed because of being unplayable. What is going on with our courses, Palmer is even closed !!!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

Hard play little care.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 AM
Gold member

No. It's not hard play that is the cause of all the grass woes...and it's not little care either(if that person had even tried to find out). According to the few course managers I spoke to it's due to the warm weather we had last fall when they were overseeding with the winter rye. As anyone who played would have noticed the winter rye on most of the courses did not take well at all. Couple that with the dormant Bermuda grass and you now have the result...poor greens.

This too will pass, but some folks have little patience or knowledge and therefore make hasty remarks based on their dislike of the system they moved into here. Don't know why they don't just move in lieu of complaining all the time. Likely no matter where they went it would never be good enough.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 AM
Sage

Spruce Creek South, Del Webb, Harbor Hills all in bad shape.

Greens at Baseline, Water Oak and Lakes of Lady Lake all in good shape; fairways so so.

? ? ?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Didn't the golf course maintenance company change recently?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Without a decent amount of rainfall, grasses will suffer. There isn't a magic potion that can be applied to make grass green and lush during dry times. The golf courses that have access to an adequate source of water will certainly look better than the ones that do not. Proof of that is driving through our neighborhoods and looking at our lawns. Most lawns are brown, some worse than others. Then you'll see that one homeowner that has a very nice, green lawn. Right or wrong, this homeowner is watering his/her lawn much more than the neighbors. And the grass will look even better if it's been fertilized.
Sure, I'm not happy with the golf course conditions. I do think more should be closed sooner rather than later. But I also know from experience, golf course superintendents look like the smartest people in town when it rains, and then rains even more.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

The rains will come and all will be well.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
No. It's not hard play that is the cause of all the grass woes...and it's not little care either(if that person had even tried to find out). According to the few course managers I spoke to it's due to the warm weather we had last fall when they were overseeding with the winter rye. As anyone who played would have noticed the winter rye on most of the courses did not take well at all. Couple that with the dormant Bermuda grass and you now have the result...poor greens.

This too will pass, but some folks have little patience or knowledge and therefore make hasty remarks based on their dislike of the system they moved into here. Don't know why they don't just move in lieu of complaining all the time. Likely no matter where they went it would never be good enough.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Try playing public course on hard clay with no rain. You could probably leave better divot on asphalt. as for the greens, I always complain when I miss-hit to the bad part of the green
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Awwwwwwwwww, Springtime in TV.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Lot of off site courses in same shape ths winter and spring.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The biggest ongoing improvement that can be made to the golf courses is for residents to learn and acknowledge they must fix ball marks on greens.

To me it borders being criminal here the number of ball marks that go un repaired.

Those who golf should also be advised they should repair at least one ball mark on each green they did not make.

It is a basic that for the life of me I do not understand why this abuse is allowed to continue.

Right behind ball marks comes sanding divots and raking bunkers.

Too many ill advised golfers must have the notion these things are someone elses job!!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage

Some people have claimed that some people on TOTV have formed a clique and or the most frequent posters only have positive things to say on TOTV and tend to knock others points of view.

I believe everyone has the right to agree to disagree. If we were all the same, then life would be very boring. Most people don't take the time to express themselves fully or ask, "is this just me"?

Having been on TOTV for a long time, one can easily ascertain where certain people are coming from. I feel sorry for negative people as they always have a complaint or see a problem in everything. I'm just happy knowing, I don't live with them.

If you look up certain people's posts, you will see some people have a definite pattern of never having anything to say, that is good. Just blasting TV or anything else, that doesn't meet someone's level of standards doesn't mean there isn't an alternative way of looking at a situation. Try offering a solution instead of always bit** ing.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
closed, unplayable, palmer, courses, gosh, worse, played, golfing, executive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.