Good but mostly no so good

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Founder
Default Good but mostly no so good

A friend of ours forgot her purse at Havana County Club restaurant a couple of days ago. When she went back to get it, it had been turned in to the manager. But, not so good, it was already empty. Wallet, credit cards and money gone.

A police report was filed, but little chance of recovery from what we hear. So sad to hear that kind of thing. You would think that in a community like this, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. How do these kind of people sleep at night?

JLK
Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Minnesota Nice

Talk Host if that happened in MN the wallet would have come back with $50 more than what it contained before it disappeared
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

Although I would think that the majority of customers there are Villagers, there also are many people from outside that patronize these bars. HOWEVER, Villagers are a mixture of people from around the world and often bring their former ideas and morality with them. Unfortunately, the term "Villagers" does not automatically ring of good and honest. Just the way that it is.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Gold member

It's too bad someone dishonest found the purse. Having the opportunity to do the right thing is simply the best. Many years ago when I was in my early thirties, I was privileged to find over $300 dollars in cash just lying on the floor of a mall bathroom. I had my kids with me (ages about 8 and 12), and it was Christmas season and the extra cash would have been just great. But I took my kids and the money to the security office, gave it to them (the money, not the kids), left my name and wrote down the two security officers' names, just to keep them honest. We finished our shopping and we went home. Later that evening a guy my age showed up at my door, with tears in his eyes, to tell me that what I had found was all of his family's Christmas money, and he couldn't believe anyone would turn it in. He offered me some money, but I refused it. My kids remember that entire experience to this day, and I think they are both better people for it. I know I am. It ended up being one of the most gratifying events of my life.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Employee, I would bet my last dollar. Do they have security or internal video camera system ??
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Platinum member
Default Great replies from all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
It's too bad someone dishonest found the purse. Having the opportunity to do the right thing is simply the best. Many years ago when I was in my early thirties, I was privileged to find over $300 dollars in cash just lying on the floor of a mall bathroom. I had my kids with me (ages about 8 and 12), and it was Christmas season and the extra cash would have been just great. But I took my kids and the money to the security office, gave it to them (the money, not the kids), left my name and wrote down the two security officers' names, just to keep them honest. We finished our shopping and we went home. Later that evening a guy my age showed up at my door, with tears in his eyes, to tell me that what I had found was all of his family's Christmas money, and he couldn't believe anyone would turn it in. He offered me some money, but I refused it. My kids remember that entire experience to this day, and I think they are both better people for it. I know I am. It ended up being one of the most gratifying events of my life.
I love personal anecdotes that inspire me. Yours did, Thanks!
As for the light- fingered louse.... the good old karma police will take care of him/her sooner or later. Hope the lady who 'lost' her possessions can let go of any bad feelings and focus on happier things.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

My wife left her purse in a shopping cart in the Target parking lot on 441. When she discovered that it was missing, she called the store and spoke with the manager. It hadn't been turned in.
Two days later the Lady Lake PD called us and told her that her purse had been found totally intact with all cash, cards etc untouched. It was found by a person living outside TV. There are honest folks everywhere.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I love The Villages and the people in it.

I believe with all of my heart that what goes around, comes around just as Uptown Girl says......... And I think our community is better, safer, nicer, and more honest than most.

Even If I am grumpy up here ...up to my nostrils in packing boxes.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I truly think you friend's experience was not the norm. I've heard too many stories where something of value was found and returned fully intact; not just here, but even in San Francisco. Even so, I was surprised to hear that this happened here.

Now, why would you automatically blame the staff? It would be much easier for a customer to go into a purse than a staff member. As was said, not all Villagers are honest and we do get visitors from other areas. To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.
I agree.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.
Ask any retailer or better than that, call the local Sheriff's Dept's and ask them who commits most internal business thefts...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

I would also say more likely employee-I recently found a wallet between two cars as I was entering a restaurant.Found the person inside who as he was leaving layed some money down on my table and said he wanted to pay my bill.I told him this was not necessary but he quickly walked out.I looked down and there was fifty dollars there.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage
Default Good and Bad Experiences

I know of two experiences.

Many years ago, I dropped my wallet with $200, credit cards, license, etc, in my condo parking and it was returned by a young person, maybe ten years old fully intact. The mother of the child did not want to take a reward.

My son left his $300? leather jacket on his chair at a bar in Manhattan, as he needed to use the restroom. When he came back, it was gone. I advised him to check with the management to see if someone accidently taken it but it was never returned.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Ask any retailer or better than that, call the local Sheriff's Dept's and ask them who commits most internal business thefts...
Wow, aren't the majority of us employees either now or in the past. I as an employee couldn't imagine stealing another persons belongings. In fact I would think the majority of us would get a "warm, fuzzy feeling" after returning the item. But obviously someone took it
Skip 2
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Who else other than "employees" could possibly commit "internal" business thefts???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.